Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Default Droid Razr: Keeps asking select input method after ICS update

Anyone else keep having the select input method in notifications after the ICS update? I am using Swiftkey 3 if that makes any difference. Very annoying keep thinking I have a notification and its this.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-21-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Default Re: Keeps asking select input method after ICS update

My maxx does same thing. Stock keyboard.

Global Posts
    1,336 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I get the same thing ever time the keyboard pops up in any part of ICS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

That's how you change input methods in ICS. Whenever the keyboard is on the screen, it puts that in the notification area. My Nexus did the same thing. I guess if you were changing input methods a lot it would be convenient...

Quote Originally Posted by THARD View Post
    Anyone else keep having the select input method in notifications after the ICS update? I am using Swiftkey 3 if that makes any difference. Very annoying keep thinking I have a notification and its this.
    This has to be a glitch. It is really annoying.
    roachman55 likes this.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Its not a glitch. Long press to select input method was removed, and replaced with the notification method

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    bradenfontaine likes this.

long press menu>manage apps>scroll down to Motorola Input and disable. you shouldn't see this option anymore. you might have to force stop it first.

Do not do this, if you do not have another keyboard you are using.
    Thanked by:

They have to have a fix for this, it is very annoying. Please allow a "do not show again."

ROM
    Arctic HD

There's nothing to fix. It's not broken. It's how ics is, it's the same way on the nexus.

tcmeiss and bradenfontaine like this.

The message is driving me crazy! Please fix this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Falconguard View Post
    long press menu>manage apps>scroll down to Motorola Input and disable. you shouldn't see this option anymore. you might have to force stop it first.

Do not do this, if you do not have another keyboard you are using.
    After doing this, I still had to reboot phone to get it to no longer try to recognize the Motorola keyboard. Then had to go into the Language & Keyboard settings and uncheck Google Voice Typing (can still use the microphone button on the Swype keyboard for voice) to get the input selection notice to stop showing up.

Thanks for the to though!

Anytime your keyboard is opened you will see the keyboard icon in your status bar. Once your keyboard is closed it should go away. I use Go Keyboard and I also get the keyboard icon, but only when my keyboard is opened and on screen.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Android Central Forums
    ~*Purple Android*~

ROM
    Arctic HD

Why do they need to fix something that isn't broken?? It is an ics feature and without it you can't select your input method. Get used to it

bradenfontaine likes this.

Actually, yes you can select input method without that notification.
    Kelly Folse likes this.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Would you rather waste time going into settings when all you have to do is slide down the notification bar??

Considering I've never had need to change inputs, the question is moot to me. If someone did need to change inputs, I can see that being quicker, but I don't know anyone that does that. Going by the responses in this thread, sounds like most people pick one keyboard and stick with it, making this feature mostly useless.
    Kelly Folse likes this.

If anybody else wants to post that this notification is not a problem, or "isn't broken," could they please just go for a walk or something instead? This notification constantly appearing is very annoying. They can put an icon next to the paper clip icon, or make it optional. It's not a notification, and does not belong in the notification bar. I have never changed my input method, and possibly never will. The constant notification is very annoying.
    Kelly Folse likes this.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Well it's obviously a notification or it wouldn't be there.

It's notifying you of your input method.

Get used to it. That's how it's going to be post-ics. It's not a motorola thing, it's an android thing.

Besides, it goes away as soon as you close your keyboard so what's the big deal? Just ignore it for the few mins you are using your keyboard, chances are you're not looking at the notification bar if you are typing anyway. It's not like it's there all the time, now that would be annoying.

bradenfontaine and maxman1 like this.

Obviously you can't see past your nose, Skip. The bug is that the notification doesn't go away after the keyboard is put away. Sometimes it shows up randomly too. I have this same issue and it's very annoying. If it worked flawlessly, only notifying when the keyboard was in use, I could understand your view.

Hopefully you're not an Android programmer with your "get used to it" attitude.
    roachman55 and Kelly Folse like this.

ROM
    Arctic HD

I have never seen it come up anytime the keyboard is not open. Not in my 4 ics android phones has that happened once. If you lock the screen when the keyboard is still up then it will still be there. Other than that it should go away as soon as you back out of the keyboard.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

I have seen the input notification without the keyboard being up. he is not alone.
    Kelly Folse likes this.

Let me take a stab at it, some people might choose to use different keyboards and need some type of notification as to which they are using. The vast majority of users on the other hand are totally satisfied with the standard keyboard that comes with the phone and should not be bothered with notifications that are only there for the few who like to mess around and tinker with things. If you're so excited to tinker with your phone and use different keyboards, then perhaps you should know how to dig into the phone and select your input method without annoying the rest of us... How did I do?
    Kelly Folse likes this.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,252 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

it is a feature. it came with the phone. if you do not like it, voice you opinion to Google. we cannot change this. we cannot "fix" what is not broken. if the keyboard notification is staying in your notifications then something thinks it is still open. what apps do you have installed? have you wiped your cache? does it persist when you reboot? what app where you using when you noticed it? these are questions that need to be answered (and asked) to help those who feel they have a bug. info is needed for info to be shared folks.
    Just some hobo with a phone

Duh. Of COURSE this is a feature. I dont know why you people thought it might possibly have been a bug....

I mean this is EXACTLY how every preference is set.

When you use Chrome, it totally creates a notification in case you want to switch to Skyfire or the standard browser.
    When you pick an alarm sound, it always creates a notification to make sure you are ok with using Android sounds or want to switch to Zedge or GoSounds.
    Ever time you tweet, it absolutely populates a notification just in case you want to pick between using TweetDeck, HootSuite, or Twitter's own app.

I mean, EVERYTHING in ICS prompts you to change your default on the notifications bar.

And that's totally where the default program setting belongs, up there where it tells you when you have new email, txt, or your download is done.

I dont know why you people are so stupid. Just GET over it already. Damn, arseholes. Why do you use up the valuable resourses of the internet with these questions. Do you think each thread is free or something? We had to cut down hundreds of trees to create this thread. What jerks.

I definitely wouldnt be the least bit interested in finding out how to remove that notification. It BELONGS there!

Wow. At first I was kinda agreeing with your reasoning, but the further your post went, the more it turned into a complete lack of respect and verging on ignorance You really think trees were cut down to make these threads? Coal, oil, nuclear materials maybe to power the computers, and various materials for building said computers.

Besides, defaults by their very nature mean set it and forget it, with no need for a reminder when using something. As was already said, the majority of users don't swap inputs (and likely other apps like you said too), making that kind of quick change option unnecessary.
    Kelly Folse likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast