Contact Photo for Self in Text Messages?

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
So now with ICS, there's a picture of the person you're texting next to each of their messages. This is pretty neat, but since I'm OCD I want a contact picture for myself to pop up next to my messages as well. But there is none, and when I tap my contact image (which is just a grayed out generic icon), it says the contact doesn't exist.

Anyone else have this problem? Is this just the way it is?

Firefyter

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a Sprint Galaxy Nexus, and it brought my profile pic over from Google plus.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a Sprint Galaxy Nexus, and it brought my profile pic over from Google plus.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus

I'm on DROID Bionic with ICS and it did the same thing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I made a contact for myself, followed the directions to make a profile, did a long press on the grayed-out contact picture and the pop-up menu asked if I wanted to take a picture or get one from my gallery. Done, and now my picture comes up with everyone else's in my texting stream.

xpsu2002x

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if you were able to figure this out...i just got the update today. I noticed that my contacts that have photos were coming up in text messages, but i didnt have a picture (like you said, not like anyone else sees it).

I just figured out - go to your home screen and click the contacts icon or the "people" icon. under the people tab there will be your contacts, in case of emergency and it will say "me". if you go in there, just add yourself to the contacts....

i hope this helped...

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yea, under People (contacts) it has yourself as the first contact. Edit and add a picture. That bugged me as well

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Jean1 Jelly Bean

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
hi,

I'm new to android and I would like to know what tweak you use to display the contact picture of the person you're texting next to each of their messages?

Thnx.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
hi,

I'm new to android and I would like to know what tweak you use to display the contact picture of the person you're texting next to each of their messages?

Thnx.

You have to set a picture for them in their contact file under "people"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I just figured out - go to your home screen and click the contacts icon or the "people" icon. under the people tab there will be your contacts, in case of emergency and it will say "me". if you go in there, just add yourself to the contacts....

i hope this helped...

This ^^ worked, for me!

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
got it, it took it me a while. You have to go into your phone and look under people/contacts. Find the name listed under your google acct. It should have your google name right at the beginning of your contacts under emergency. Then you have to tap it, it will get bigger, then you have to edit it with the menu key at the bottom of your phone. Then tap the empty space where your pic is suppose to be, then a screen will pop up saying take a photo or get one from the gallery. WOW!

If you still have a problem, then add yourself as a contact like Pablo said, then follow my steps.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the stock text messaging app or another, like Handcent? The instructions above should get it working on the stock. I know on Handcent you have to create a profile (from the Handcent home screen swipe left or right to the Handcent Services screen), then insert your pic on your profile.

bpoll83

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm on verizon galaxy nexus and wondering why it auto chooses your google + pic for texts and not really anything else. Can I change the contact info pic for texts without changing my google + pic? Or Can I disable the auto carryover?

shanda palmer

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
So now with ICS, there's a picture of the person you're texting next to each of their messages. This is pretty neat, but since I'm OCD I want a contact picture for myself to pop up next to my messages as well. But there is none, and when I tap my contact image (which is just a grayed out generic icon), it says the contact doesn't exist.

Anyone else have this problem? Is this just the way it is?