Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Firefyter
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Contact Photo for Self in Text Messages?

So now with ICS, there's a picture of the person you're texting next to each of their messages. This is pretty neat, but since I'm OCD I want a contact picture for myself to pop up next to my messages as well. But there is none, and when I tap my contact image (which is just a grayed out generic icon), it says the contact doesn't exist.

Anyone else have this problem? Is this just the way it is?

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

I'm on a Sprint Galaxy Nexus, and it brought my profile pic over from Google plus.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Thanked by 2:
    bradenfontaine likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Firefyter View Post
    I'm on a Sprint Galaxy Nexus, and it brought my profile pic over from Google plus.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    I'm on DROID Bionic with ICS and it did the same thing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Default Re: Contact Photo for Self in Text Messages?

Ahh yeah that did it. That's a little confusing since it automatically uses Facebook photos as default for other contacts.

Oh well, thanks guys

Global Posts
    305 Global Posts

I made a contact for myself, followed the directions to make a profile, did a long press on the grayed-out contact picture and the pop-up menu asked if I wanted to take a picture or get one from my gallery. Done, and now my picture comes up with everyone else's in my texting stream.

I am not sure if you were able to figure this out...i just got the update today. I noticed that my contacts that have photos were coming up in text messages, but i didnt have a picture (like you said, not like anyone else sees it).

I just figured out - go to your home screen and click the contacts icon or the "people" icon. under the people tab there will be your contacts, in case of emergency and it will say "me". if you go in there, just add yourself to the contacts....

i hope this helped...
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Yea, under People (contacts) it has yourself as the first contact. Edit and add a picture. That bugged me as well

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

hi,

I'm new to android and I would like to know what tweak you use to display the contact picture of the person you're texting next to each of their messages?

Thnx.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jean1 Jelly Bean View Post
    hi,

I'm new to android and I would like to know what tweak you use to display the contact picture of the person you're texting next to each of their messages?

Thnx.
    You have to set a picture for them in their contact file under "people"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Razr ics rooted

I can set a photo from the gallery, but I wanted it to use my FB profile pic, is there any way to do that?

I'm also on a DRIOD Bionic with ICS and mine also is doing the same dumb thing. Argh!!!

Absolutely. The other suggestions did not work but yours was perfect. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by xpsu2002x View Post
    I just figured out - go to your home screen and click the contacts icon or the "people" icon. under the people tab there will be your contacts, in case of emergency and it will say "me". if you go in there, just add yourself to the contacts....

i hope this helped...
    This ^^ worked, for me!

I have the same prob, I have added my pic to my name, profile and any number I might have, still greyed out.

got it, it took it me a while. You have to go into your phone and look under people/contacts. Find the name listed under your google acct. It should have your google name right at the beginning of your contacts under emergency. Then you have to tap it, it will get bigger, then you have to edit it with the menu key at the bottom of your phone. Then tap the empty space where your pic is suppose to be, then a screen will pop up saying take a photo or get one from the gallery. WOW!

If you still have a problem, then add yourself as a contact like Pablo said, then follow my steps.

Are you using the stock text messaging app or another, like Handcent? The instructions above should get it working on the stock. I know on Handcent you have to create a profile (from the Handcent home screen swipe left or right to the Handcent Services screen), then insert your pic on your profile.

Create a contact entry for yourself, including the pic you want to show, then that picture will show up in your texting thread!

I'm on verizon galaxy nexus and wondering why it auto chooses your google + pic for texts and not really anything else. Can I change the contact info pic for texts without changing my google + pic? Or Can I disable the auto carryover?

Hi! This worked for me! Im my "people" (contacts), my profile was the first entry and empty.
    Thanks!