Multiple Issues after Razr ICS upgrade - Issues List

sdrolz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I recently upgraded to my Droid Razr 32GB to ICS 4.0.4 and have since had the following issues.

1. Excessive Battery Drain - 3 - 4 hours max on battery.
2. Hot to touch - phone/cpu temp in excess of 110 degree's (temp acquired from GOLaunder BatteryInfo app)
3. CPU Pegged at 99 - 100%
4. Facebook App does not work. I hate to give fb that kind of attention, but they're a heavy player and I expect their app to work.
5. Multiple other app's or other widgets stopped working or read 'loading' continuously without every successfully loading.
6. Display is always over 50% of battery usage. Display has always been heavy on battery usage, but not like this.
7. Display brightness - lowest level is barely visible. This isn't the worst thing in the world, but again, an existing app that I had that allowed my to toggle several display brightness settings used to allow a 'low' setting that was low, but visible. now Low is almost INvisible.

Maybe all of these things are just me needing to learn how to manage how my phone operates with ics better, but the initial shock was enough to make me want to revert to gingerbread. I'm not giving up, plan to wade through the garbage and sift through the working apps to find the the ones that suck the life out of ics. I'll report back as I find things.

Please feel free to add to this list of issues, or post a known ics 'cpu sucker'. I am sure that some old app's are not optimized for ics. Just need to figure out which ones they are.

Oh, one last note. When I bought my Razr, I searched high and load for a battery widget that would help me manage my battery usage. I found the GO battery info widget to be great, but it required I run the GOLauncher. I wasn't thrilled at first, but have become accustomed to the GOLauncher and actually like some of its features like app folders. Truth is, I have no idea if the GOLauncher itself is part of the problem or not, but I don't want to uninstall it until proven that it is the problem. If anyone has insight on the GOLauncher and how it interacts with ICS, please add a post here for that also. (I Hope this isn't too much for one thread!)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Are all your apps up to date?

Did you clear the cache?

Did you do a factory reset?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

sdrolz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe all my apps are up to date. I don't show any remaining updates waiting. I can't say I cleared the cache. How do you do that? Finally, I was trying to avoid the factory reset as I'm afraid I would lose all my apps and have to start over. Verizon support suggested the same, I'm just saving that as a last resort.

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm having many of the same issues. I really miss my universal inbox, so replaced it with k-9, but still miss the old one.

Yes, phone warm a lot of the time and battery draining rapidly. This wasn't happening at all on the old system and I've done a factory reset (don't even get me started about the backbends to get my comcast email accounts on there), cleared the cache, done everything but the Smart Actions. I keep hoping it will settle down after a day or two, but it's been a nearly a week and not any better.

I'm trying to find things that I like better on ICS than Gingerbread, and I can't find anything so far. I miss my "old" Razr. Maybe I'm not enough of a power user to appreciate it yet, but I've had to spend too much time getting it straightened out and my phone is supposed to make my life easier, isn't it?

sdrolz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
It seems to have settled down today, but I'm still reading almost 100% on the cpu usage. Maybe the app reporting on the CPU is inaccurate. The screen appears to be the battery hog culprit from what I can tell. I think that has always been the case, but not to this extent.

I can't figure out how to clear the cache. help to find a thread on that info would be appreciated.

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Do a factory reset. Trust me. I had similar issues especially battery drain and the phone got very hot. I just did mine Friday. All apps. came back with google sync. Did not loose contacts. Feels and acts life a new phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

sdrolz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Found the Cache clear (wipe cache partition) Thanks. I'm letting the phone recharge now before turning it back on. seems to have a problem charging while turned on or something too.

I found instructions to clear the cache at the motorola forums too. Along with a suggestion to do it up to 3 times. Haven't tried it yet, but I will.

gymgal - Thanks. Factory reset will be my last resort. I'm not sure if I have google sync on or installed. How can I tell? I kind of want to wade through the crap first before I try the reset, but it is definitely on my list of potential next steps. I see the factory reset can be accomplished from the same menu that you access the cache wipe from. let me know if I am on the right or wrong path for that.

robertGregory

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
There are way more issues than listed in this thread.

first off, I do suggest before anyone does the upgrade, to do a factory reset (data and cache). It is just the right thing to do... see upgrade path recommedations at the end of this post.

If you do not do a factory reset - clearing accounts etc. You will see issues, for example.

If you have an exchange account and do the upgrade, you will:

1. Most likely LOSE your ability to perform syncing on that account.
2. The new email / messaging features that ICS provides you (vs GB) will not be truly available - there are more syncable features you will need to set defaults to etc.

If you have already done the upgrade and think nothing is wrong with yoru exchange acount - you'd be best served in removing the exchange account and re-adding it - I can guarantee you that you will see a different running exchange account going forward.

Overall, if a factory reset is done it will weather the upgrade better.

================

Upgrade Path Recommedations:

1. The best aproach is to start from scratch (do it clean) - meaning if you have previously rooted your phone, un-root if possible, do a factory reset afterwards, bring your phone as close as you can back to factory, like when the first time you took it out of the box. Then, do the upgrade OTA*.

Note: Most likely, the upgrade will unroot you anyway. Do not try to use the same utilities to re-root, they will either fail to do so or you will marginally or completely brick your phone...

2. *Preferably, if there is a way for you to get the ICS upgrade zip file onto a card - or onto the built-in card that would be best, then initiate the update by going through recovery mode "apply system update" etc. - which is how the OTA sets up the upgrade anyway, but I think it's better to have control - do it yourself once the phone is clean.

Note: Maybe copy the zip file off to your pc first, clean the phone (get it back to factory) then do the upgrade...

In my case, even after cleaning the phone the update did not work so nice. it errored, I lost one phone, and had to get it replaced, yet experienced the same issue on the second phone, but re-applied the upgrade and it went smooth after that.

Re-Rooting your phone, DO NOT USE THE SAME PROCESS YOU DID BEFORE, look for

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-droid-razr-utility-1-7-failsafe-edition.html

The above worked for me amazingly well. It can help you recover a brick, setup root on ICS and a whole bunch of other nice utils that are ICS centric.

sdrolz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
robertGregory - Thanks. Those are all good Logical steps to take and I can see why it would make sense to do the factory restore before the upgrade.

However... I will say that if that is the best path, Verizon and Motorola did a poor job of implementing the upgrade and ultimately I hold them responsible. as an IT professional, any IT professional, I would expect operates under the mindset of no negative impact up implementation. No destructive changes without management. And No Surprises. The average user is going to get screwed over in this process.

I may have been bolder (some may say stupid) than some, knowing ics was coming and when I checked my phone and saw an upgrade was available, I took it. Expecting things to roll through smoothly and expected big changes when it was done, but expected everything to work. I did fear some apps would be lost, but expected the upgrade package to handle that with notification. It did not, I am disappointed in their effort, but just the same its working brilliantly now and I am happy!

Yes, I said it is working brilliantly now and I am happy. I did the Factory Reset and everything calmed down and works great. Factory Reset IS the answer.

A few additional things...

I obviously did not get all my app's back, but was able to manage reloading them from My Google Apps.

AND... I think I found the battery killing HOG that ate my ics! It's the Verizon Location Agent! It's the one app that I could not Re-Load back to my phone, and it is the app that I suspected as running wild on CPU usage before I did the Factory Reset. I use the GOTaskManager (great app by the way) and could see each individual app running while watching the CPU meter. CPU meter was pegged at 100% (admittedly the meter is not completely accurate, but enough so that I could tell something was wrong). Killing one app at a time, watching the meter drop, Every time after killing the Verizon Location Agent, my CPU would drop to near 0! I could not uninstall that app at the time, but after the factory reset, I could not RE-install it!

Problem Solved! Thanks everyone for your comments and help! I hope my last post helps someone else too! Do the factory Reset and make sure Verizon Location agent is OFF Your Phone!

Reactions: jskinvest

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I did not do a factory reset but I did force stop the Verizon Location Agent and it hasn't reappeared in running apps as of now. My phone is so much faster and smoother now!!!. I will report later to see if battery life improves. Great tip!!!

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
sdrolz---you were right about the Verizon location agent. I was actually able to uninstall it. I opened the app up and was prompted to sign in. Then I got a message that said the app was not compatible with my Razr. I was prompted to uninstall it and have it replaced with a factory version. Well I did that but luckily it was not replaced by anything. Simply disappeared thank God.

The phone runs silky smooth and fast now. And I would say battery life has increased by at least 50%. I wonder if this new leak simply removes that bloatware. Who knows. But I am very happy now. Thank you for the great tip.

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind is that I have found ICS to be much more efficient than gingerbread. Because of this (and the fact that you ALWAYS have to reach 100%) my screen is showing a much higher percentage use.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Prior to updating my phone I did a complete Factory wipe on it then I performed the update using the ZIP file, I've had this upgrade a week prior to the official release. My battery life is the same or maybe a little worse as it was prior to the update and I did notice that the signal strength for both my cell coverage and data has gotten worse, which would explain why my phone gets hot (and also worse battery life) just sitting idle at times when I go into spotty areas.

The phone more accurately reports the screen usage now then when it had Gingerbread so that is the reason why it shows a high usage.

As for facebook, I don't have any issues since upgrading and it's worked as it did prior to upgrade.

One issue I've encountered which has only happened once, I was using the built in music player and for some reason the entire phone locked up for about a minute and then it rebooted on its own. I was playing songs that were local on my phone (SD card) and not streaming.

norabella

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Gymgal,
At the risk of sounding stupid, what do you mean all your apps came back with Google Sync? Is that native on the phone, or is that something that we need to install? I'm a fan of the reset, but my old-school self is used to a cradle and computer backup. What happens when you reset?

Nora

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Gymgal,
At the risk of sounding stupid, what do you mean all your apps came back with Google Sync? Is that native on the phone, or is that something that we need to install? I'm a fan of the reset, but my old-school self is used to a cradle and computer backup. What happens when you reset?

Nora

Open Google Play Store>menu>my apps>swipe to left and you will see a list of apps that you have installed. After a FDR the apps you had installed will re install automatically. Anything that gets missed, which was only one when I did my FDR, can be found easily by looking at all the apps you ever installed.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Open Google Play Store>menu>my apps>swipe to left and you will see a list of apps that you have installed. After a FDR the apps you had installed will re install automatically. Anything that gets missed, which was only one when I did my FDR, can be found easily by looking at all the apps you ever installed.

You should note that prior to restoring everything (Data and apps) it will ask you when you first turn on the phone after a Factory reset so you can opt out of the restore.

mthorn79

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
This just happened to me yesterday, was listening to Pandora and got a phone call and even I started to talk, Pandora started playing from the speaker while I'm talking. It would usually pause Pandora then resume after call was done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I was finding a large discrepancy between my battery app (Battery Left) and the system battery, and truthfully, the system battery prevails. I did a factory reset to see if it would fix the problem but it didn't. Even so, it's not that big of a deal to factory reset. All your purchased apps are synced back up. It is a mild pain but nothing egregious.

My phone has now been working over 2 days with light use before hitting 30% on the system, yet Battery Left would have told me I was critically low yesterday. I use the smart actions battery extender, the low battery saver, about 10% brightness, 30 second screen sleep, disable cellular when connected to wi-fi (and I can connect at work) and when the screen is off, I disable the background data. I haven't yet re-done the disabling of the bloatware apps, but I expect performance will be even better when I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool