What is best security app and are they necessary?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    10-18-2012 12:38 PM
    The only security app I use is Cerberus. It's the best when it comes to tracking a lost or stolen phone. As long as your not downloading pirated apps or any shady apps from the Play Store you don't need an antivirus app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cerberus&hl=en
    bradenfontaine likes this.
    10-18-2012 05:24 PM
    The only security app I use is Cerberus. It's the best when it comes to tracking a lost or stolen phone. As long as your not downloading pirated apps or any shady apps from the Play Store you don't need an antivirus app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cerberus&hl=en
    10-18-2012 05:25 PM
    Norton cause its like dating a lose girl that gives.it away for a large fry and.drink from.mcdonalds....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Glenuendo likes this.
    10-19-2012 04:14 PM
    It's time to stop being so cavalier about malware for Android. Security software is a wise thing to have on your phone. Here's the latest threat:

New Android Trojan Found in Google Play | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    10-20-2012 02:08 AM
    I'm using Lookout on both my Atrix & my Xoom (& my old Milestone)
    Its light on the phone , it backs up all my contacts weekly (got burned by Gmail once before) & it scan my phone every week

Sent from my MZ601 using Android Central Forums
    10-20-2012 07:56 AM
    It's time to stop being so cavalier about malware for Android. Security software is a wise thing to have on your phone. Here's the latest threat:

New Android Trojan Found in Google Play | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    Oh crap... maybe its time to use Norton. I use it on all my computers so why not. What's the battery drain like?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    10-20-2012 03:32 PM
    People still use Norton? Lmao what a joke

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    10-20-2012 09:23 PM
    I personally have been using AVG mobile and I have been very happy with it. doesn't use many resources and it quickly and subtly scans any new apps you install. plus it gives you all the standard anti-theft/tracking features thought AVG's website.
    10-30-2012 01:28 PM
    I personally have been using AVG mobile and I have been very happy with it. doesn't use many resources and it quickly and subtly scans any new apps you install. plus it gives you all the standard anti-theft/tracking features thought AVG's website.
    I use AVG too. Haven't had to need track my phone, but has good reviews and I like the virus scanning

Norton cause its like dating a lose girl that gives.it away for a large fry and.drink from.mcdonalds....
    Not sure about the mobile version, but I've heard the pc version described as a virus that protects your computer from other viruses. Never was a fan of it or any other paid anti-malware because there are many excellent free ones.
    10-30-2012 02:48 PM
    i think it helps to know exactly what it is you're downloading. read the reviews, look at the download counts, all the useful info you need to make a decision is right there...
    11-06-2012 04:28 PM
    i think it helps to know exactly what it is you're downloading. read the reviews, look at the download counts, all the useful info you need to make a decision is right there...
    Good advice. There are also some good apps for prevention/detection of spurious apps such as "Appbrain" & "Trustgo Ad Detector".

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2
    11-07-2012 02:55 PM
    I tried a few of them: Norton, Lookout, and some others.

Then I found Avast, which works really well and I even forget about it - it doesn't affect the phone's performance at all (or at least I don't notice anything, and the CPU usage is very low).

I thought it was missing something, but then suddenly it was there: you can track your phone online via their website. Actually see the phone on the map! I needed an extra app to do that. Or pay for a pro version of another app.

Recently, I tried another SIM card in my phone. I totally forgot about Avast running. And there it was: the alarm was triggered, loud siren and fancy stuff. Worked great!

And it's free.
    rjr1209 likes this.
    11-07-2012 03:26 PM
    I'll download it and run it for a while and monitor the CPU drain and report back.

sent from the fingers of a Mad Man
    11-07-2012 04:03 PM
    I'm not a fan of anything that bogs down my system for any reason and this program certainly does just that. I will definitely be removing this app and I don't really recommend anyone else downloading it with our processor and memory it definitely does make a difference especially when installing apps it will bog the system down besides that I can't see any credible threat this app could deter as long as you have common sense that is all

sent from the fingers of a Mad Man
    11-09-2012 06:53 PM