DROID RAZR Jelly Bean Update

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I just read this and I hope they expand upon this soon by giving a time frame! I love the Razr and maybe if it gets updated soon(ish) I might decide to wait on upgrading (seeing as i will have to buy my next device unsubsidized)!

I can't wait to have Google Now!

anon(96159)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I just read this and I hope they expand upon this soon by giving a time frame! I love the Razr and maybe if it gets updated soon(ish) I might decide to wait on upgrading (seeing as i will have to buy my next device unsubsidized)!

I can't wait to have Google Now!

You can flash Arctic HD ROM, it has Google Now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Good news. I remember there were a lot of people that swore the RAZR was going to die on ICS. I think Motorola is taking the updates pretty seriously at this point.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You can have Google now on any rooted phone, it works on stock rom also.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)
Can you direct me to a good working copy with easy to follow directions on how to install?

Oh and if I install Google Now on ICS will I have to uninstall it in order to accept the Jelly Bean update?

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So to take the OTA I would need to use my backup of the stock rom (or alternatively use AP FastBoot and return to stock if I lose the backup files for stock) and then use SuperSU to unroot (I haven't found the option to unroot in SuperUser however in SuperSU there is an option for full unroot)?

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much. You can install the voodoo root keeper app with the utility and use it to back up your root, then restore it after.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much. You can install the voodoo root keeper app with the utility and use it to back up your root, then restore it after.

So I would
1) Run Voodoo Root Keeper to backup root
2) Restore to my original backup of stock (or use Matt's utility to AP Fastboot back to stock ICS). If restoring backup I would need to use the "unroot" option in Super SU.

After all that I could accept the update and restore root via Voodoo? (Why would I even need root after the update when I would have Google Now and the AdBlocker files are already installed?)

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you would restore it after you took the update. And the ad blocker won't work without root whether it's installed or not. And root is way more powerful than just those two items.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Those are the two main ones I have found so far. I'm not extremely interested in using different ROMS and the such just because I like the way stock looks and well it just works lol. I tried underclocking with SetCPU and it actually made my battery die faster! I had it set to use the hot plug governor, I read online that said it was the most energy efficient, and I believe it was set to something around 800mhz with screen on and 300 with screen off. I haven't tried overclocking because I don't have a custom kernel installed and my RAZR already feels like a hot plate when under a lot of load and over clocking would just make it worse (or so I have read online).

If you have any suggestions on things to do with root please let me know!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
On demand would be the best governor I believe.

But there are a million useful apps that require root that have nothing to do with flashing roms. Sd maid pro, titanium backup, system info, and tons of other ones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze