Screen separation

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok, my razr seems to have screen separation on the top left corner from the bezel all the way to under the earpiece. When i press on it, it makes a creaking noise. It's very annoying and is a waterproofing integrity issue. It's been this way for probably 6 months, but I'm a procrastinator. I called the store yesterday. Gave me the "call the asurion #".... Called Verizon customer service, asurion would charge $99 for a replacement. For what seems to be a manufacturer defect imo. I said wtf is the point of insurance if I have to pay for something that isn't my fault? So i said cancel insurance since it doesn't cover anything. I have til nov 12th with my moto 1yr warranty. I'm gonna take it to a Verizon store and see if they can help me out. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue. I shouldn't have to pay for something that is a result of poor workmanship. I'm pretty pissed about it. If them nor moto will honor me with a replacement/new phone, this will be my last moto phone. Back to samsung for me. And i am definitely only buying phones from best buy from now on. They have the only legit no hassle warranty program.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

pgroup

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I had an almost identical situation, also about 6 months ago. My separation was on the upper right vs. left. I initially tried to deal with Motorola via the warranty which resulted in an absolutely horrible experience. They returned the phone saying the moisture sensors showed the phone got wet (which I adamantly denied). When I pointed out that the screen separation probably allowed humidity into the phone, I got the proverbial brush off. Bottom line, I went back through my Verizon corporate store and they took care of replacing it for me.
I did not let the experience with Motorola drop. I documented the experience in the Owners Forum (I had a short thread here on AC as well). I finally got to a Global CS agent supervisor who went through my entire case, "claimed" to have put notations with each agent involved, and concluded by sending me a Bluetooth headset (nice touch, but certainly not asked for).
In balance, although the CS aspect of Moto ticked me off, I have not soured on Moto phones in general. My replacement has been showing an exceptional build quality (I know it's a refurb), and the other Moto phones on my account have stood up to pretty heavy use (1 Bionic, 1 Droid Pro, 1 other Razr). So, although you may have to assert your warranty rights pretty aggressively, someone will want to keep you as a satisfied customer.
Good Luck!

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Call Verizon again and ask for a replacement. Make sure you tell them that you did not cause the damage and you haven't dropped your phone or whatever. The only reason they told you to call asurion is because they probably assumed the you caused the damage and that would fall outside the warranty.

I wouldn't cancel the insurance.. What if you do break your phone, or drop it in the lake? 99 bucks sure beats 300+...

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Meh. All they are going to do is either call customer support for you, or tell you to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Update. Went to Verizon yesterday. They agree with me that it's a defect. She put in a claim for me. They are sending me a new phone. She did, however, say that moto looks it over and sees any damage they can charge me up to $299.. Not sure how they have the power to do that. I'm not worried about it. It was only dropped once. You can't even tell unless you look super close. The upper left corner of the bezel is SLIGHTLY bent from the fall. Just happens to be the same corner as the separation. Moto better not try and say that caused the separation. Cuz it was coming off MONTHS before i dropped it

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
If you did drop it, and there is visible damage, warranty will not cover it. They can charge you for the replacement. And insurance is a good way to go in that case. It is just like the deducible at your doctors office or insurance claim. You will never get off without having to pay something if you caused the damage, related to the issue or not.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah if there is any visible damage they are going to blame the screen separation on you anyway. Plus it's not a wide spread issue on the razr like it was the nexus 7, and it seems fishy that you waited so long to try to get a replacement. Maybe were not getting the full story?

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah if there is any visible damage they are going to blame the screen separation on you anyway. Plus it's not a wide spread issue on the razr like it was the nexus 7, and it seems fishy that you waited so long to try to get a replacement. Maybe were not getting the full story?

Absolutely not. Bad assumption bro. I'm just a procrastinator. If it was my fault,i would have went through asurion. Instead, i canceled them because i feel having to pay $100 for something that isn't my fault is shady as hell. That's like having road hazard insurance on new tires only covering damage done by sheet metal screws and not roofing nails. One thing i know is, I'm never buying a phone from a authorized third party dealer again. They do NOTHING to help you. It's "i just sold you the phone, now you're on your own bro" the place told me when i bought it that it was the last razr in stock between south central PA and jersey. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold me the floor model that was handled by everyone. If moto charges me more than $49, I'll be calling them up cursing like a sailor, and never but another moto product. Samsung 4 life

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Try and understand this. You bought it, possibly not from an authorized retailer. Which in moto and Verizon's eyes, leaves you responsible. They didn't cause damage to it. If there is physical damage, they will assume you did it, and assume that is why it is not working properly. That is how they will argue it. If I'm wrong, then good for you. I'm genuinely happy for you. Please do keep us updated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Lmao. Calm down buddy. It's insurance, it has a deductible just like anything else. But now that you canceled it, you're screwed. They tell you when you call that if they find physical damage you will be charged the full retail price. You must have dropped it pretty hard to dent it. I threw mine at the wall and it didn't have a scratch, and I don't use cases or screen protectors. 6 months is a long time to finally just decided to try to get a replacement. That's something you do right away especially if it's something like screen separation, and this is the first time I've heard of the razr having a separation problem.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
It was a huge independent building with a Verizon logo. They gave me a business card that says authorized dealer. I'm not a moron. Lol. Either way, if they want to charge me, I'll ask for my old phone back and stick it out till i get a new phone. There's a 14 day policy on that

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
It was a freefall from my hand on a tile floor. It's just the outer trim ring. Cheap part. Should fall under the $49 repair if any. It's hard to even see

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I reported the problem before i canceled the insurance. So if it goes as far as moto trying to charge me $299, i can always demand that asurion cover it since i reported it prior to canceling. If they refuse, there's always the route of the law. They should keep notes from phone calls on things like warranty replacements (date/time)

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to convince me bro. I'm on your side.

I've just seen the worst case scenario of these types of situations. Insurance companies are corrupt and frankly so is any company. CYA bro, CYA...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
You probably went to. Non corporate store. Go to a corporate store you will get the same service even though you didn't buy it there.

I got my first Android, my droid x, from Costco because it was 100 cheaper and they had a 30 day return policy. But if I went to the Verizon store I got the same service as everyone who got the phone there

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Got the replacement phone. Funny thing, it has 2 dead pixels on the screen. Looks like this whole process is gonna be a PITA