Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Play Spamming Blitz

Within the last two weeks I have started getting spam pop ups on my home screen for Google Play apps when I unlock my phone. I also found that any of the screen shots the spam is showing is storing in my photo folders on my phone. This is a work phone, with shared data and I am not sure just how much data this is chewing up. I have tried Airpush detector, and am running AVG antivirus. I have repeatedly deleted Google Play Services (something that has been force fed to my phone about the time these ads started) and also went as far as disabling Google Play Store, all with failed results. Would appreciate any advice anyone can give me on this matter.
    Last edited by John Gasco; 11-11-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Default Re: Google Play Spamming Blitz

It would be an idiotic move on Google's part to spam with Play. These kinds of things are usually an app on your phone causing it, likely as part of their advertising. You're gonna have to go through any recently downloaded/updated apps and try removing them one at a time until you find the one causing the issue. Could also try going through the app manager and checking the running apps to narrow it down if the offendeing process is under said app and not some other name.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I've gone through and removed 75% of my installed apps. I figured the ones I really wanted I'd download again and write the others off. So far it's been about 12 hours and no spam has popped up so I am hopeful. It was just very.. "coincidental" that all of this started when Google Play Services got pushed to my phone, and all of the spam that has popped up are saying.. "come download me at Google Play!"... Thanks for your reply however, Mooncatt.

ROM
    Arctic HD

It's not Google play its an app.

If you're rooted, you can block all ads.

Try an air push detector to figure out what apps are causing it

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Dumping all but two of my games seems to have done the trick. I have a suspicion of which game it was in the end. Thanks for your advice!