* Issue Resolved * RAZR Constantly rebooting after Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update.

hornbroo

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Along with the "motorola.vzw.vmm" error, my phone reboots every hour or so. The phone is stock (not rooted) other than the JB sideload. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Last edited:

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: RAZR Constantly rebooting after Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update.

Factory reset? Maybe some of the apps didn't update all the way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

hornbroo

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I was hoping to wait till the final JB release to do it but it was happening too often. Everything is buttery smooth now after the factory reset. The phone has never been more responsive.

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

Glad it was a simple fix.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

hornbroo

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

Well I spoke too soon. The factory reset did not fix the rebooting issue. I did end up tracking down the culprit though. It was the "AT&T Voicemail Viewer" App that was causing the reboots. Seems to be a common issue with JB and the latest version of the App. I hope they get it fixed soon since I use it a lot. Even though it did not fix the rebooting issue, the factory reset was worth the trouble since it fixed the "motorola.vzw.vmm" error as well as improving performance. I believe it should be standard operating procedure after an OS update.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Half the time it's all the old data from a previous os that screws things up.... So why would you want to restore it....?

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
A phone is not a good place to store your only copy of things you can't afford to lose. Anyone who does that is crazy.

If you restore all your data, you are likely just going to run into the same issues, so nothing would be fixed.

What kind of stuff are we talking about? Documents? Files? Those can easily be backed up by moving them to your pc.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The most common problem apps for not backing up are games. I'm not a huge gamer, but losing my save progress can be pretty aggravating if there is a lot on there. Especially if you paid for it. That's why I don't buy most game's full versions. One factory reset and you more or less lost your money. I tend not to go back to them after losing my progress.

I'm not arguing the benefits of resetting after an update or that old data can cause problems. I'm just saying give us the *option* to make our own decisions. After the backup, restore each app and data one by one and make sure it's stable before going to the next one. Then you can take care of the problem maker if needed.