1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Unsure about allowing excessive email security update after JB download

After my phone upgraded to JB yesterday I noticed that my university email (which is hosted through outlook) is requiring a security update before I can continue using it. It is asking to Activate Device Administrator and says that doing so will allow app Email to: Erase all data without warning by performing a factory reset, Set password rules for screen-unlock passwords, monitor screen unlock attempts and lock or erase all data if too many incorrect passwords are typed, control when and how the screen is locked, set lock-screen expiration, set storage encryption, and prevent use of all device cameras. I use hotmail for my personal email and it is synced through the Email app without any of these requirements so I know this is only an outlook issue. Unfortunately I need to use the school email on a daily basis for my job so it would be a pain to have to access it only through the browser on my phone. Has this issue happened to anyone else? Is there any precedent for an app to need that much control over my phone? I'm really leery of allowing an app and potentially a remote administrator the ability to wipe my phone without warning. Thanks so much for any advice you can give me.

Default Re: Unsure about allowing excessive email security update after JB download

These are extra security required by Outlook. Apparently they were implemented with the Jelly Bean update.
    I had the same thing and was forced to accept the requirements. I guess we will see what they do.
    Been running JB for 3 days now with those requirements but see not difference in how the phone behaves.

Default Re: Unsure about allowing excessive email security update after JB download

When you activated it, did it delete any info at that time. Highly concerned about activating this but have 2 other outlook accounts that access to Thanks-

Quote Originally Posted by lssimpson View Post
    When you activated it, did it delete any info at that time. Highly concerned about activating this but have 2 other outlook accounts that access to Thanks-
    It did not delete anything, no emails, no contacts, nothing. Works as always.

Tapatalk won't let me copy the first page of this thread for some reason, but I'm having the same problem here:
    Strange corporate email security warning after JB update

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2