Music Not Showing Up

metrov

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have numerous music albums/artists/songs loaded onto my SD card that are not showing up in my music player. I have tried installing several different music players with the same results. The same music files are not showing up. I've tried, as has been suggested online, unmounting my SD card, removing it, putting it back in, then "refreshing" my player or having the player re-scan the music collection, nothing helps so far. All the music files are .mp3's. Is there a certain way music files have to be titled, or something else that could be causing the problem? Is there a limit to the number of music files? I only have 1000 or so. I also tried clearing my Media Storage cache, no luck either. It's really a drag because my phone is my main source of music, especially when driving, and I just can't get to hear some of my favorite songs. Any suggestions for this problem? Thanks!

sergeantandroid

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi Metrov, maybe you could provide us with some more information. What kind of phone do you have? What method did you use to bring the music onto the phone?

metrov

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi, since I'm in the Droid Razr forum, I thought it would be known that's the kind of phone I had. To put the music on my Droid Razr (v. 4.1.2), I simply connected the phone to my computer, then dragged my audio files onto the phone. Also, I just discovered that the files not showing up simply had the Numerical File Names given them by my CD extractor. However, I renamed these files, and the album still does not show up. Thanks for your help.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, since I'm in the Droid Razr forum, I thought it would be known that's the kind of phone I had. To put the music on my Droid Razr (v. 4.1.2), I simply connected the phone to my computer, then dragged my audio files onto the phone. Also, I just discovered that the files not showing up simply had the Numerical File Names given them by my CD extractor. However, I renamed these files, and the album still does not show up. Thanks for your help.

Chances are the music is not in the right file so that's why there not showing up.
Try this as a test:
1. Pick one of the songs not showing up
2. Use a file explorer and move that one song to sd card> media. Or internal storage > media.
3. Reboot phone.
If song shows now in music player then move the rest. The same way & reboot.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

metrov

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I fix the problem. Turns out many of my audio files were not "tagged" and so the players won't recognize them. I found a free software program that tagged my music, now it's all available. Thanks!

metrov

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
"MP3 Tag" works pretty well. I tagged mine on computer because I wanted to make backup files, then dragged the files back onto the phone. But it may work just as well tagging the files directly on the phone.

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
i was going to state as such. I use MP3Tag tool on my laptop. And I found out years ago that Android OS wont play mp3 unless it has a tag. So I make sure my mp3s are tagged to my fancy and dumped into the MUSIC folder on my Internal drive (or external whatever you prefer)

sree1456

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have numerous music albums/artists/songs loaded onto my SD card that are not showing up in my music player. I have tried installing several different music players with the same results. The same music files are not showing up. I've tried, as has been suggested online, unmounting my SD card, removing it, putting it back in, then "refreshing" my player or having the player re-scan the music collection, nothing helps so far. All the music files are .mp3's. Is there a certain way music files have to be titled, or something else that could be causing the problem? Is there a limit to the number of music files? I only have 1000 or so. I also tried clearing my Media Storage cache, no luck either. It's really a drag because my phone is my main source of music, especially when driving, and I just can't get to hear some of my favorite songs. Any suggestions for this problem? Thanks!

Sol: u can install "poweramp" player it's work fine and deep scan SD card so it shows all mp3 songs

Last edited by a moderator:

febkosq8

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I too had the same problem with both music & images .Both wont show up in music app & gallery .What Worked for me is that there was a desktop.ini file located in the folders where the music & images were copied from my computer .After i deleted that desktop.ini file & rebooted my device ,It worked everything started to show up .:)

Amy faith wright

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
good evening

i have an A3 samsung and i transferred music from my computer to my phone ( the music was on the phone before hand but i was deleting some songs ) so when i put it back on my phone it only shows 34 in the play music app when there is 151 songs on my memory card and it shows this in my file icon on the phone . i then deleted everything and then re downloaded it back on to my phone from my p.c but this time placed it onto the device and still it is only showing 34 yet in the file icon it shows 151 songs as well . i then downloaded music player and it does the same thing there.. ?? its never done this before ???

please help

thanks
Amy :'(

Kaimy

Jul 3, 2018
Visit site
Sorry for sort of necroing this thread, but it's the first search result that comes up and I see the last question was posted 3 years after the initial creation so I would like to share 3 steps that solved the issue 10/10 times.

1. Biggest issue I've had with albums not showing took longer to figure out since the cause was not the first thing to come to mind. But I noticed after taking a more extensive look that all albums not showing had a longer file name, simply shortening the file name solved the issue.

2. Make sure the file type is supported, MP3 generally should not be a problem not to mention it is one of the most common formats.

3. Sometimes you have to move the actual folder containing the album to where the rest of your music is stored.

If none of these work, which I have yet to encounter, it's either time to out that phone to rest, albeit perhaps try a different source for the album in question ;]

CNC_Acolythe

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,
I have noticed that this thread is a little dated now, but I just had a similar problem on my new OnePlus 7T phone. I have downloaded few albums straight from BandCamp as .mp3 and after a week or so, none of them showed up in any media app.

I tried few things but what worked for me was deleting ".nomedia" file from each album folder. Dunno how it got there..

Hope this helps.