Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Turning off phone calls but able to use GPS?

I am going on vacation and my phone is a company paid work phone. I want to be able to turn off receiving phone calls but have everything else functional, GPS, internet etc. I looked into this before posting and could not find anything. I don't think airplane mode is what I am looking for. Thank you.

Default Re: Turning off phone calls but able to use GPS?

Welcome to Android Central! I think Airplane Mode actually is what you're looking for. If you turn on Airplane Mode, all radios will shut off (cell/mobile data, wi-fi, and GPS). But once you're in Airplane Mode, you can turn wi-fi back on, and you can also turn GPS on. This will allow you to access the web via wi-fi and use GPS, but the cell radio will still be off, so no calls can come through. Of course, since the cell radio is off, you won't be able to use mobile data.
    SoccerRef12 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! I think Airplane Mode actually is what you're looking for. If you turn on Airplane Mode, all radios will shut off (cell/mobile data, wi-fi, and GPS). But once you're in Airplane Mode, you can turn wi-fi back on, and you can also turn GPS on. This will allow you to access the web via wi-fi and use GPS, but the cell radio will still be off, so no calls can come through. Of course, since the cell radio is off, you won't be able to use mobile data.
    Thank you for the response. Unfortunately this does not seem to be working. I won't have wifi when using the gps so how would that work if data is turned off? Thank you.

Mobile data (3G/4G) is different from wi-fi. Mobile data uses your cell signal for your internet connection. Wi-fi uses wi-fi for your internet connection. On Airplane Mode, the cell signal remains off, but you can still turn on wi-fi, so if there is a wi-fi network available, you can still connect to the internet.

If you turn on GPS only, you can still use it to locate yourself, but if wi-fi and mobile data are turned off, you won't be able to access the internet.