Car Dock Question (Use with nav mat?)

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The official Car Dock that they sell at VZW stores, it comes with a huge suction cup mount. My question however is: does it have a ball joint in the back for swivel purposes, and if so, does anyone know if its the same size that Garmin uses, because i would love to get this and attach it to my garmin nav mat, thanks in advance!

hemiguy37

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It does swivel. What I liked, and i don't know about Garmin, but the piece that the phone sits in uses the same connection method as my Magellan, so I an not even using the supplied swivel mount from Motorola, I am using my mounts from Magellan as I like them better. So again I am using the Motorola dock and my magellan mounts. I have one that attaches to my car vent that I love, so I am HAPPPY!! FYI, the back of the dock has two receptors that are square and slide on the magellan car mounts.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the car dock....and it mounts well, but getting the phone in nd out of the dock is a bit cumbersome. Getting it in isn't too bad, but getting it out.....usually ends up with half the dock coming with it! :( The actual dock attaches to the suction cup/swivel arms with just a simple slide on fitting. the problem comes from the fact that the DX has such a nice snug fit with the dock that I have to use 2 hands to remove the phone from the dock. one hand to hold the dock; the other to separate the phone from the dock. If I try to take the phone out with one hand, the dock slides off the mount with the phone still in the dock. :confused:

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The guy in verizon was telling me that there is a part of the Dock that slides out so that the X can be in the dock with a skin on it. I don't know if he really knew what he was talking about though, can anyone verify or denounce this?

DroidNewb

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
What i am concerned about is the lack of a snug fit between the arm of the dock and where the cradle slides onto....there is a ton of play and does not seat properly IMO compared to using other accessories with similar construction...the dock itself is a very nice design but they dropped the ball on the mounting bracket that accepts the cradle.

Last edited:

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
If I try to take the phone out with one hand, the dock slides off the mount with the phone still in the dock. :confused:
I have it mounted at the bottom left of my windshield, and have no problem with one-handed removal. I use my middle and ring fingers on top to keep it from falling out, and then put my thumb in the cutout underneath the phone, in the middle of the dock. It seems to pop up very easily for me. I'll take a couple pictures later, if you'd like.

The guy in verizon was telling me that there is a part of the Dock that slides out so that the X can be in the dock with a skin on it. I don't know if he really knew what he was talking about though, can anyone verify or denounce this?

I don't see why it wouldn't work with a skin. The phone settles into the base, with what seems to be soft rubber on either side to cradle it a bit. Then a lever-type thing attached to the top flips down to hold the phone in place. Again, happy to take pictures if you'd like.

What i am concerned about is the lack of a snug fit between the arm of the dock and where the cradle slides onto....there is a ton of play and does not seat properly IMO compared to using other accessories with similar construction...the dock itself is a very nice design but they dropped the ball on the mounting bracket that accepts the cradle.

I don't have this problem. There are three points of connection that I can think of off the top of my head. Starting at the suction cup end, the first joint has a screw to tighten it. Second is a ring around the ball joint. Third is the square peg thingy the dock fits on to, and then slides to lock in place. Check that they're all tight?

Last edited:

DroidNewb

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't have this problem. There are three points of connection that I can think of off the top of my head. Starting at the suction cup end, the first joint has a screw to tighten it. Second is a ring around the ball joint. Third is the square peg thingy the dock fits on to, and then slides to lock in place. Check that they're all tight?[/QUOTE]

Mine does not lock....it just slides in and slides out (up and down) can be easily slid off there is a lot of play on mine....unless I have something screwed up.....

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Mine does not lock....it just slides in and slides out (up and down) can be easily slid off there is a lot of play on mine....unless I have something screwed up.....

that's how mine is. I have looked at it a few times to see if there's a way to lock it in, but there isn't.

hemiguy37

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site

I checked mine, and yes there is a piece that comes off. I tried to put mine in with the verizon silicone skin and the piece removed but still wouldn't fit.

Wonder if you need a certian case for it to fit.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I have it mounted at the bottom left of my windshield, and have no problem with one-handed removal. I use my middle and ring fingers on top to keep it from falling out, and then put my thumb in the cutout underneath the phone, in the middle of the dock. It seems to pop up very easily for me. I'll take a couple pictures later, if you'd like.

I would like to see some pictures of this.

sparhawke2000

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

There's a plastic insert that can be simply snapped off the dock. This is suppose to allow connection with a skin. I haven't tried it yet, but unfortunately it doesn't work for a hard case.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
QuadCam - See my video (my first too!) for my solution to getting the DX out without taking the whole mount with it. I was mistaken when I said my mount fit snugly on the suction arm... it's just as loose as yours, but popping the phone off the way I do, I haven't accidentally taken the mount with it (yet?)