what case works with the Car Dock?

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone figured out what case works with the car dock? There is the slim insert sleeve that is removable for use with a case. Even in the car dock manual, it states to remove the sleeve for use with a case.

well.........I went to Best Buy and to Verizon today and tried every case I could find, and none of them fit the car dock! :mad:

I tried:
BB rocketfish case (very nice case btw)
moto case/holster combo
moto kickstand case
moto carbon fiber case
moto silicone case

So, what case does Moto think will work with the car dock? they obviously designed it for case use, but they don't list any parts numbers for compatible cases. this is frustrating!

UPDATE: CASES NOW KNOWN TO WORK WITH CAR DOCK AFTER MINOR MOD TO CAR DOCK:

Best Buy RocketFish snap-on soft touch case
Verizon Shell/Holster Combo

Last edited:

Abbynormal

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Quadcam.
I got the bbrocketfish and works great. Just shave off that little nub on the back of the car dock and it fits like it was made for it. By far the best case I found so far and looks great inside the dock.

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the insert give a motorola case model number? I saw some numbers on mine but not sure they are numbers for a case.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Quadcam.
I got the bbrocketfish and works great. Just shave off that little nub on the back of the car dock and it fits like it was made for it. By far the best case I found so far and looks great inside the dock.

shave off the nub? isn't that the magnet that activates the car dock mode?

btw.....I agree with you on the bb rocketfish case. It's super slim, and keeps the same thin feel of the naked phone.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I've never been a case guy, but I would liek to keep this phone looking good. In a year of use with the BB storm, my storm had lots of battle scars all over it....just little drops here and there....but they all add up to a beaten up looking phone.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
just went out and bought the BB rocketfish case....and then went home and took a chisel to my car dock! :)

i chiseled out the little nub and sanded it smooth on the right side of the dock and now the DX fits in the car dock with rocketfish case!

DroidRage79

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Disappointed...silicone case I ordered from VZW.com does not fit in the official DX car dock, even with insert removed. If I really tried to jam it I think i could get it to fit but I am interested in forcing things...guess I will have to live with just removing it everytime...ugh!

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
as someone else pointed out and I have also found true, you need to grind, chisel, and sand that nub on the right side of the dock down so it's perfectly flat. Even after doing that, it is still a tight fit.....and I had to figure out the proper technique for getting in the dock. I'll try to make a video and show you how to do it. You have to almost come in on an angle and get the usb to line up and then the rest of the phone fits right in!

But...I think there will be a limited amount of case that fit in the car dock. The Best Buy Rocketfish case really is the best choice. I tried atleast 5 or 6 different cases. And, the rocketfish is the slimest and least obtrusive of all the cases. Even if I just wanted a case and it had nothing to with the car, the rocketfish would be the best choice. The only other one that I think could work after grinding the nub off the dock might be the Verizon case/holster combo.

badchevy

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I was in a VZW store recently and ask what case works with it and of course remember where this came from... he said motorola never made the case that works with the dock. After looking high and low he might be right but who knows.

DroidRage79

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little leery of just sanding off that black tab...I mean is it not there for any kind of reason, why would Moto put a random plastic protrusion on the dock? Are we 100% sure it serves no purpose, as earlier in this thread someone mentioned it might have to do with the magnet that automatically turns on the Car Dock app.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little leery of just sanding off that black tab...I mean is it not there for any kind of reason, why would Moto put a random plastic protrusion on the dock? Are we 100% sure it serves no purpose, as earlier in this thread someone mentioned it might have to do with the magnet that automatically turns on the Car Dock app.

I was the one that mentioned that...and the one that started this thread......and I was wrong! :p I took a magnet from my fridge and figured out where the magnet is located to activate both the car dock and the home dock......and it's not where the nub is!!!

DroidRage79

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Well that was easy enough. A bare razorblad and a hammer took it clean off. And it now fits with the Silicone skin on....thanks again!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan