Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default what case works with the Car Dock?

Has anyone figured out what case works with the car dock? There is the slim insert sleeve that is removable for use with a case. Even in the car dock manual, it states to remove the sleeve for use with a case.

well.........I went to Best Buy and to Verizon today and tried every case I could find, and none of them fit the car dock!

I tried:
    BB rocketfish case (very nice case btw)
    moto case/holster combo
    moto kickstand case
    moto carbon fiber case
    moto silicone case

So, what case does Moto think will work with the car dock? they obviously designed it for case use, but they don't list any parts numbers for compatible cases. this is frustrating!

UPDATE: CASES NOW KNOWN TO WORK WITH CAR DOCK AFTER MINOR MOD TO CAR DOCK:

Best Buy RocketFish snap-on soft touch case
    Verizon Shell/Holster Combo
    Last edited by QuadCam; 07-24-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Don't believe they make one ,or can make one their is just no space with the tight fit.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Willymakit 75 View Post
    Don't believe they make one ,or can make one their is just no space with the tight fit.
    I don't think you understand.........there is a removable sleeve to give it more room.

here's the video I put up showing the removable sleeve.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

here's the pic from the Moto instructions:

see the note under step 1 that mentions the use of a protective case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what case works with the Car Dock?-droidxcarmount.jpg  

Quadcam.
    I got the bbrocketfish and works great. Just shave off that little nub on the back of the car dock and it fits like it was made for it. By far the best case I found so far and looks great inside the dock.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
    here's the pic from the Moto instructions:

see the note under step 1 that mentions the use of a protective case.
    Yes, but to be used with the Motorola Sahadow.

Global Posts
    935 Global Posts

Doesn't the insert give a motorola case model number? I saw some numbers on mine but not sure they are numbers for a case.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    Quadcam.
    I got the bbrocketfish and works great. Just shave off that little nub on the back of the car dock and it fits like it was made for it. By far the best case I found so far and looks great inside the dock.
    shave off the nub? isn't that the magnet that activates the car dock mode?

btw.....I agree with you on the bb rocketfish case. It's super slim, and keeps the same thin feel of the naked phone.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Doesn't the insert give a motorola case model number? I saw some numbers on mine but not sure they are numbers for a case.
    nope...I couldn't find any product numbers for any cases.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    It must be a case only available from Motorola. I carry mine naked except at work.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I've never been a case guy, but I would liek to keep this phone looking good. In a year of use with the BB storm, my storm had lots of battle scars all over it....just little drops here and there....but they all add up to a beaten up looking phone.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

just went out and bought the BB rocketfish case....and then went home and took a chisel to my car dock! :-)

i chiseled out the little nub and sanded it smooth on the right side of the dock and now the DX fits in the car dock with rocketfish case!

Disappointed...silicone case I ordered from VZW.com does not fit in the official DX car dock, even with insert removed. If I really tried to jam it I think i could get it to fit but I am interested in forcing things...guess I will have to live with just removing it everytime...ugh!
    Droid X since 7/16/10 Galaxy Nexus since 12/16/11
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

as someone else pointed out and I have also found true, you need to grind, chisel, and sand that nub on the right side of the dock down so it's perfectly flat. Even after doing that, it is still a tight fit.....and I had to figure out the proper technique for getting in the dock. I'll try to make a video and show you how to do it. You have to almost come in on an angle and get the usb to line up and then the rest of the phone fits right in!

But...I think there will be a limited amount of case that fit in the car dock. The Best Buy Rocketfish case really is the best choice. I tried atleast 5 or 6 different cases. And, the rocketfish is the slimest and least obtrusive of all the cases. Even if I just wanted a case and it had nothing to with the car, the rocketfish would be the best choice. The only other one that I think could work after grinding the nub off the dock might be the Verizon case/holster combo.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

The VZW case/holster combo DOES work if you shave off the black tab.

I was in a VZW store recently and ask what case works with it and of course remember where this came from... he said motorola never made the case that works with the dock. After looking high and low he might be right but who knows.

I'm a little leery of just sanding off that black tab...I mean is it not there for any kind of reason, why would Moto put a random plastic protrusion on the dock? Are we 100% sure it serves no purpose, as earlier in this thread someone mentioned it might have to do with the magnet that automatically turns on the Car Dock app.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by DroidRage79 View Post
    I'm a little leery of just sanding off that black tab...I mean is it not there for any kind of reason, why would Moto put a random plastic protrusion on the dock? Are we 100% sure it serves no purpose, as earlier in this thread someone mentioned it might have to do with the magnet that automatically turns on the Car Dock app.
    I was the one that mentioned that...and the one that started this thread......and I was wrong! I took a magnet from my fridge and figured out where the magnet is located to activate both the car dock and the home dock......and it's not where the nub is!!!
    Thanked by:

Ok, thanks for the confirmation QC! I guess it's time for me to operate... hehehe

Well that was easy enough. A bare razorblad and a hammer took it clean off. And it now fits with the Silicone skin on....thanks again!!
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Good to know that the silicone case works too. who makes the silicone skin you are using? I'll update the original post to show what cases work with the car dock mod.

can you guys post pics up...would love to see how it looks...i have the car dock and an amzer tpu case...hopefully those two would get along...
    Storm 1 --> EnV2 -->Curve 8330-->Tour-->Storm2 --> FINALLY, a DROID X!

I spoke with a rep at Motorola and they seemed to be unaware of a specific case yet. They are supposedly looking into it and will email me when they have one available.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by penman711 View Post
    I spoke with a rep at Motorola and they seemed to be unaware of a specific case yet. They are supposedly looking into it and will email me when they have one available.
    ask them who wrote the instructions for the car dock.....because someone had a case in mind when they designed it and then wrote the instructions. Should be good to get an answer back from Moto.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
    Good to know that the silicone case works too. who makes the silicone skin you are using? I'll update the original post to show what cases work with the car dock mod.

I have this one

but I wouldnt recommend it, it's slippery and covers the row of hard buttons on the bottom. (I hacked this part off with a razor blade)

I also have a Zagg invisibleSHIELD for my DX but I am reluctant to install it since it seems to be something that requires painstaking care and dexterity; these are areas in which I am personally lacking.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast