What if you don't have an aux input in your car radio?

brchan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I just got the Motorola car dock and it works great, but my car radio doesn't have an aux input to play the Droid X stuff throught the car speakers. Has anyone done a workaround, maybe like hooking it up through an FM transmitter? If an FM transmitter is the only way to go, any suggestions? Thanks!

Bryan

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I just got the Motorola car dock and it works great, but my car radio doesn't have an aux input to play the Droid X stuff throught the car speakers. Has anyone done a workaround, maybe like hooking it up through an FM transmitter? If an FM transmitter is the only way to go, any suggestions? Thanks!

Bryan
There's all kinds of AUX input adapters available, depending on what kind of car radio you have. The hard part is making it look neat without hanging wires or otherwise having a junior science project look.

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
IMO all the options sucks.
at least in my cars. when you plug into the aux port. you are also powering off the car and you get a feedback loop through your radio.
even if you get a suppressor, it still doesn't go away 100% and the "loudness' of your audio is lowered allot..
If you go FM transmitter. then you are still losing allot of power.

If of course you don't listen to your music very loud then none of this is really an issue (or you can unplug the power source while listening to music)
but for me I like to crank it up and the feedback loops make it intolerable.

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
There's always this.
410AoQib1KL._SS500_.jpg

For $0.10 from Amazon, why not?

brchan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions. I laughed when I saw the cassette tape adapter! Does anyone even have a tape player in their car anymore?!?

I guess I'll look into some of the solutions at iSimple.

Tzvi

Jul 24, 2010
www.cire.com
Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions. I laughed when I saw the cassette tape adapter! Does anyone even have a tape player in their car anymore?!?

I still have one. My car is a 2002 Lexus GS300 and it has a cassette deck,a six disc cd-changer, and navigation. No aux though, so the cassette deck is my way in.

--Tzvi

charlier180

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site

I guess I'll look into some of the solutions at iSimple.

Actually my 1985, 1987, 2002 and 2004 vehicles all have cassette options in their sound systems. :D I only use the cassette tape tape player with my adapter these days to play music from my iPod. Once I get my Driod X, I will probably use the adapter with that and retire the iPod.

FYI, not all cassette adapters are created equal. Some of the really cheap ones do not work well at all. :eek: I found one for $15 at Walmart that works well for the money in all my vehicles. BTW, some FM transmitter options for playing music are just as bad as the cheap cassette adapters. Difference being the FM transmitters are not cheap.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
DIY for Subaru Impreza with cheapie radio

I found this article a while back and followed it. Super easy check it out. I did this on my 2009 Impreza, but if you could figure out the pin assignments on your stock radio, the same method could be applied.

DIY Aux Input Kit for $1.99 - NASIOC

FM mods stink... The only way to get decent fidelity is to have the Aux input. Sounds fantastic with my DX. :D

One note... don't cheap out on the cable. Get a good gold plated one. Whole project will cost you 12 bucks.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if there are any after market options to allow for BT streaming. Maybe this could also accommodate BT calling and phone book.

Can the Dx stream music via Bluetooth?

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
BLUETOOTH TECHNOLOGY

Stereo Bluetooth Class 1.5, Version 2.1 + EDR (support profiles, A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HID, HSP, OPP, PBAP)

-- I found the BT specs on Moto website.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
It looks like Sony and JVC make bluetooth head units that you can stream music to from a droid (or other device). I looked for an Alpine model but didn't see one.