Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,009 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie18 View Post
    What is the orange peel effect?
    people say that when installed on non screen parts you get this rippled effect and that the device starts to look like the outside of an orange.

check out the video in my sig.

Got a replacement Inc so my IS should be here to install again....

Quote Originally Posted by dvader View Post
    just got my SPG crystal in the mail today. going to put them on tonight..
    I'll post a review when done.
    so 2 thumbs up for the SPG Steinheil Crystal Screen Protector

I ordered 2 kits, one for mine and one for my wifes X

I had thought, I would end up with 2 spares.
    But I did end up using all 4. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like this (really I just can't stand the site of imperfections)

So while I didn't really screw up the install, it just wasn't perfect. One had a small spec of dust and when i tried to get it out, i scratched the inside of it.. so I just used the other.
    Same thing on my phone. when I used the squeegee I applied to much pressure and nicked the edge. soo i figured what the hell and burned up the 2nd one.

Lucky for me they give you 2 per pack.
    I should note, I did go into the bathroom and run a hot shower. I cleaned the sink and washed my hands.
    I laid a clean towel down on the edge of the sink and used a can of compressed air to make sure there was no dust.
    I think the hot shower method really helps keep the dust down.

The visual results are great. You really have to look close to see that it has a protector. I had to align and realign a bout 30 times on each phone, to get it just right. it seemed it would run a little to the left or right.. so lift it up and try again.. etc etc.. Finally I got them to sit perfectly.

So while it looks good, I was (at first) unhappy with how much drag these had on them. I was thinking, I really really hope these "slick up"
    and after a little bit of use , they did.. smooth as glass now.

So I'm very happy with them and will recommend them to anyone.
    Last edited by dvader; 07-27-2010 at 02:19 AM.
    Thanked by 2:

dvader (SPG Steinheil Crystal Screen Protector), thanks for your response. I just ordered this product off ebay last night. I'm much like you, a perfectionist. I'm thinking that I'm probably going to turn what should be a 10 minute project...into a 2 hour project. Oh well...I'll make it fun!!
    Thanks for the review!

BillK,

Though I like the matte feel under my finger, I will be replacing with a Crystal. I loved how easy it was to put on, I just don't like how fuzzy every thing is. I'll use it till the Crystals arrive, but they won't be staying.

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorsCock View Post
    dvader (SPG Steinheil Crystal Screen Protector), thanks for your response. I just ordered this product off ebay last night. I'm much like you, a perfectionist. I'm thinking that I'm probably going to turn what should be a 10 minute project...into a 2 hour project. Oh well...I'll make it fun!!
    Thanks for the review!
    cool - no problem.
    Some more tips (if it makes sense)
    really really try to be dust free.. you'll end up with 1 spec under it and it will **** you off and not look right. so try the hot shower method.

use the cloth that comes with it to polish up your phone and some compressed air if you have it.
    the protector comes in 3 layers. the outer layer, the middle protector itself and the adhesive cover.
    so you peel back the adhesive cover about a 1/3 of the way and make sure your not touching the underside of course and just let the adhesive cover roll down the screen as you lay it down it will move further and further down.. if it's not lined up right just walk it back up. it will stick back to the protector and not cause you any problems.. it's kind of thick.

Once you got it sitting just right, run it all the way down and I wouldn't really use the squeegee to much.. use the cloth to push out any bubbles.
    the outer "skin" is really thin and comes off easy and if you mess it up before you have the protector in place, it can get distracting. once everything is in place, peel away that outer skin and polish it up.

like i said at first it will have allot of drag on your fingers.. but give it a few hours and it will be like it was never on there..

I got my droid launch day and I've been paranoid that me or wifey was going to scratch them up (mostly her) so I was excited to get these on last night and they turned out great.

oh and if you do get a hair, or particle of dust or whatever and you need to get under it to get it out.
    use a razor blade and carefully lift a corner, the kit comes with 4 "dust removal stickers" so lift a corner and then use one of those sticker to stick to the object and then peel away (careful not to get finger prints on the inside)
    I had some strand of faint fabric under mine last night after i got it just right and when it didn't polish away, that's what i did and it sucked it right off.. no problem.

I have put your installation recomendations in a word document and printed them!
    Now, if I can just find a pocket friendly case recommended...I'd be in heaven! LOL
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Moved Steinheil Screen Protector posts out of sticky into their own thread.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Mine has shipped. Hopefully it will come in tomorrow.

I put on my SSP Ultra Crystal a couple days ago and here is my review: (for whatever its worth)

Clarity - A+ (Screen looks as it says "Crystal" clear)

Glide - B (There is some resistance when I glide my finger over the screen)

Coverage of screen - A+ (99.999% of the screen covered)

Smudges/Fingerprints - B-/C+ (It smudges and you can see fingerprints. Its not so noticeable when doing stuff but if the screen is black then it is very noticeable just how dirty it gets)

Overall - B+

I wish the screen felt a little smoother and the smudges/fingerprints didn't show up so easily. Overall I am satisfied.

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts

Give it a day or so and it'll smooth up nicely.

yeah mine only took a few hours and it's so smooth now I can't tell it's on there.. my wifes phone took about a day and now her's is the same..

Only thing I didn't like about the company is they wanted $8.95 to ship 2 set's which I think is a rip off.

heres what the Steinheil Ultra clear looks on the DX (my phone is on the left with the red silicone like case) and Verizon anti-glare shield (the other DX without the case is my husbands')...

I like the Steinheil way better because it looks like there is nothing there compare to the verizon anti glare....and im sure there is a lot of review regarding this but i thought id share what i thought about these screen protectors....

Storm 1 --> EnV2 -->Curve 8330-->Tour-->Storm2 --> FINALLY, a DROID X!

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsmuckers View Post
    heres what the Steinheil Ultra clear looks on the DX (my phone is on the left with the red silicone like case) and Verizon anti-glare shield (the other DX without the case is my husbands')...

I like the Steinheil way better because it looks like there is nothing there compare to the verizon anti glare....and im sure there is a lot of review regarding this but i thought id share what i thought about these screen protectors....

I certainly hope that day planner the phones are on is being retired now that you both have X's. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by BillK View Post
    I certainly hope that day planner the phones are on is being retired now that you both have X's. ;p
    oh, it is being retired as a matter of fact...i am just trying to transfer all my appointment to my DX....

I have emailed SGP a few days ago with my concerns about the not quite so complete coverage on my AF shields as well as the haziness, but no response.

I went ahead and ordered a set of crystals today.

I am very happy with the crystal clear shields I got from SGP. The only thing I am not too fond of is the overall customer service. They are slow to ship and do not respond to emails.

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsmuckers View Post
    oh, it is being retired as a matter of fact...i am just trying to transfer all my appointment to my DX....
    Good job! When my wife and I made the switch from our iPhones to the X's we had some issues getting our shared Google Calendar to sync between the phones and it took some tinkering to get it right. With the iPhone it was just 1 calendar to share and each phone connected and shared it fine. With the Droids - the "only" Google calendar your Droid uses is the one tied to your specific gmail account (so neither of our X's would update that 3rd shared calendar). Eventually I figured out I had to share our original shared calendar via logging into it and sharing it with each of our gmail addresses on each X (to get all THAT stuff into each of our individual calendars on each X) and now we're cooking. It was a scary couple of days for me 'cos the wife was having a fit that our working/shared calendar was all fubar'd and she was wanting to just go back to the iPhones -but it's all good now. whew!

Quote Originally Posted by quetzalcoatl View Post
    I am very happy with the crystal clear shields I got from SGP. The only thing I am not too fond of is the overall customer service. They are slow to ship and do not respond to emails.
    Mine shipped same day from the SGP store.

Default I ordered mine off ebay

Quote Originally Posted by quetzalcoatl View Post
    I ordered mine off ebay. Same price, less shipping. Shipped from CA to SC in just 2 days. VERY impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorsCock View Post
    I ordered mine off ebay. Same price, less shipping. Shipped from CA to SC in just 2 days. VERY impressed!
    I did the exact same thing.
    I didn't order from thier web site because they asked for a phone number and i didn't think they needed that info. so i got it from ebay where i didn't have to give that..
    got mine in 2-3 days and with less shipping.

IT's been a week and I still haven't received my screen from SGP yet... booo... time to email them.

Quote Originally Posted by BillK View Post
    Good job! When my wife and I made the switch from our iPhones to the X's we had some issues getting our shared Google Calendar to sync between the phones and it took some tinkering to get it right. With the iPhone it was just 1 calendar to share and each phone connected and shared it fine. With the Droids - the "only" Google calendar your Droid uses is the one tied to your specific gmail account (so neither of our X's would update that 3rd shared calendar). Eventually I figured out I had to share our original shared calendar via logging into it and sharing it with each of our gmail addresses on each X (to get all THAT stuff into each of our individual calendars on each X) and now we're cooking. It was a scary couple of days for me 'cos the wife was having a fit that our working/shared calendar was all fubar'd and she was wanting to just go back to the iPhones -but it's all good now. whew!
    Well i am glad everything worked out with your calendar...i am still tinkering around with the DX. I finally shaved off the nub on my car dock to make it fit with the case...its not smoothed out yet but it works. And i was finally able to test out the navigation on this bad boy...and i tell you it works wonderful.

But anyway, i want to thank you for recommending the Steinheil. I just love it. I didn't know about this company until i stumbled upon your post.

Holy freaking crap!! Ordered the crystal clear screen protector after reading this thread. I always knew that crappy verizon film was grainy, but I didn't fully realize just how bad until I put this one on.

Thanks for recommending, and Steinheil will be the place I go for future phones.

*as for shipping* - ordered mine Monday night, shipped Tuesday morning, got Friday.

you guys should post the pics of your phone with the Steinheil....and let everyone see how GOOD and CLEAR of a screen protector it is
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast