What is everyone using for the mounting of the X for gps use ????

Bob J
    08-18-2010 08:08 PM
    I just ordered the OEM windshield mount. It should be here in a few days. I can't wait. I'm actually thinking about selling my TomTom One once I have the mount for the DX.
    08-18-2010 08:53 PM
    Let me know how you like it. Want to order one myself. Having much fun with the GPS but need phone to sit somewhere other than my lap when driving.

Bob J
    08-19-2010 04:12 AM
    I have the Motorola one and love it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    08-19-2010 08:34 AM
    I am using the moto one as well. I really like it!
    08-19-2010 10:07 AM
    I'm using the moto one w/ the moto charger that Cory S. recommended in another thread (not the vzw charger). I have used it for about 45 mins and it's good so far, too bad my alternator died on the way to work before I got to play with it a bunch. oh well.
    08-19-2010 10:15 AM
    The Motorola one works great.
    08-19-2010 10:26 AM
    Got the Motorola one a few days ago - I have to say, it's awesome. I don't use a case, but there's a molded plastic insert you can take out if you do. I recently added the extended battery, and it fits fine without removing the insert.

I find it holds the phone nice and sturdy, and we're talking a '98 Cherokee crashing over the warzone-like potholes of downtown Scranton.

There's a micro-usb port on the back that accepts the plug from your cigarette charger, and the kit comes with a line-in cable with a right angle plug. There's a clip on the back of the car mount that holds the audio jack right in the appropriate spot, so it's easy to get it hooked up even in the dark. There's also a little retaining bar that snaps down to hold the phone in for extra support. On short rides, I don't even bother.

I've found the amount of force required to unseat it is around the same amount that you need to lift the whole cradle off the arm assembly, so I very quickly trained myself to use one finger to push the cradle down and the others to pull the phone up. But I'd rather a nice tight fit than something that feels loose.

Altogether, it was definitely worth the cost. I'll be skipping the nav option in the next car I buy - as a nav unit alone it's light years beyond the built in system I had in my Acura, and that's not even counting the million other things the droid can do.

There are third-party 'universal' mounts that probably work almost as well, but I think the engineering on the motorola mount is top notch and perfect for this phone. Very pleased with it.
    08-19-2010 11:47 AM
    Any of you have cases or skins on your Droid X. I've found the stock Verizon mount doesn't fit unless you remove the skin. Is that normal, it's my first smartphone.
    08-19-2010 12:57 PM
    I use the Moto dock that comes with the mount and I attach it to a Magellan GPS vent mount.
    08-19-2010 01:33 PM
    I bought the Motorola Car Mount and am only using the cradle part of it. To actually hold the cradle I am using a Garmin NavMat. The back of the Motorolla cradle has a ball joint that is universally sized and garmins navmat fits perfectly. I hate sticking suction cups to my windshield for various reasons and am really enjoying the ease of use of the NavMat.

Heres a link to the one I have it attached to..

Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount: Electronics

It doesnt slide around at all, it holds the phone cradle nicely, and when im done i just throw it in my back seat.

Hope that helps at all.
    08-19-2010 01:46 PM
    I use the Arkon Mega Grip Dash / Windshield mount holder.

Arkon Mega Grip Smartphone Mount for Motorola Droid X | Droid X Car Cradle

Here I'm using it as a desk holder.

08-20-2010 06:04 PM
    Did I see that correctly? The whole set up is only $20 from Arkon? That's a pretty sweet deal.
    08-22-2010 09:44 PM
    Did I see that correctly? The whole set up is only $20 from Arkon? That's a pretty sweet deal.
    Whoa, your right, only $20. That is sweet considering it's 2 mounts in 1!
    08-23-2010 11:34 AM
    Yeah, it's a great value for $20, although I don't mount it on the windshield because I could get a ticket her in So. Cal., I like being able to use it as desk holder at work for streaming my music and at home for tethering. It's a cool little mount.
    08-23-2010 12:18 PM

Okay, don't laugh...okay, laugh. Shut up, it works.
    (I've got the media dock, I'll probably spring fire the car dock soon. Probably.)
    Btw, for all the haters of the dx camera out there- this was taken from a blackberry curve. See how much worse we could have it?

08-28-2010 03:41 PM

Okay, don't laugh...okay, laugh. Shut up, it works.
    (I've got the media dock, I'll probably spring fire the car dock soon. Probably.)
    Btw, for all the haters of the dx camera out there- this was taken from a blackberry curve. See how much worse we could have it?

Oh my! That's all I have to say about that.

08-28-2010 03:51 PM
    Oh my! That's all I have to say about that.

Lol! It's a cable wrap thing btw. And the tunecast thing is held up by a suction cup i found and a section of coat hanger. The cable wrap thing is held up by coat hanger wire as well. DIY or die!

08-29-2010 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD