Given up on Cases

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm throwing in the towel for cases. I was waiting for the Seidio Actives. In the meantime I got a run of the mill snap-on case from VZW. The carbon fiber looking one.

My big issue is that they trap grime. The pickup and hold everything, not to mention I lose the very good looking MotoDock. Between this and the weight, I'm not holding out anymore. I'm running naked with a screen protector and I'm sure glad to be able to use the Dock again tonight.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm throwing in the towel for cases. I was waiting for the Seidio Actives. In the meantime I got a run of the mill snap-on case from VZW. The carbon fiber looking one.

My big issue is that they trap grime. The pickup and hold everything, not to mention I lose the very good looking MotoDock. Between this and the weight, I'm not holding out anymore. I'm running naked with a screen protector and I'm sure glad to be able to use the Dock again tonight.

Hang in there - Seidio will most likely make a dock which will at the very least accept the Innocase (and possibly the Active). Until the time comes - be careful with that naked X!

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I agree your points that the cases are a less than perfect compromise, but I'm paranoid about using mine naked. I like to put my DX face down, to protect it from anything being dropped on it, and without a case, the screen seems really vulnerable.

I just started using the extended battery, which made my shell/holster combo useless, and after trying several other alternatives, just settled on a cheap silicone case to use until someone comes up with a good alternative. It also goes on and off relatively easily, so that I can use the Motodock or Auto Mount, but it's still a nuisance to have to do that.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
All naked here along with my last phone and one before it. I have never liked cases and find them generally unnecessary. I also don't use screen protectors. It is unlikely you are going to scratch the glass.

If the body gets scratched .. whatever. The phone is meant to be used and crap just happens sometimes. I have the insurance and will replace if something crazy happens. I am careful with my devices but am not going to worry about normal use either ....

just my thoughts!

:)

Reactions: detroitwilly

caeb

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I gave up too. Cases on the X make it too bulky for my liking. I really would like an Incipio Feather case, but I doubt that will be released any time soon. The Seidio Active is also another I would really like, but that company is also taking their sweet time. So now they just lost my business.

Plus I've really come to like my naked X with a Steinheil anti-fingerprint protector. I purchased a the dock from Verizon last Monday and the rep was very pushy that I get a case. She reminded me several times that if I came in with a broken X they wouldn't do anything if it showed physical damage. I kept saying no thanks and when we went to the register she told me that she grabbed this case for me for only like 20 bucks. I stopped being nice and told her to shove it, I only want the dock.

I guess it's rare to run naked through the world.

blakscribe#AC

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered my Droid X last night and while I wait for delivery (ships September 10th), I've been researching accessories. I've already decided on the SGP Steinheil ULTRA CRYSTAL Screen Protector (thanks forum!) but still trying to pick the right case. I've come across a couple that look like new entries. What do you guys think?

Hybrid TPU Back Cover for Motorola DROID X, Black & Smoke - Motorola DROID X Skin Covers

IHX Mobile Flex Gel Skin for Motorola DROID X, Smoke - Motorola DROID X Skin Covers

samuryan_x

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I got the verizon shell holster case, I don't like how the corners are not protected, also waiting for sedio active case, this will hold me over til then

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
i was going naked for awhile and only used my screen protector. it was nice, but made me really nervous. i've tried the following cases:

1) Body Glove case - nice protection, but too bulky
2) Shell Holster Combo from Verizon - nice, but the texture in slippery
3) High Gloss from Verizon - very nice, and probably the best just not super protective.
4) Rocketfish case - nice hard case, and thin but was not a huge fan of two piece cases.
5) Platinum Series from Best Buy - which I believe is Seidio's brand that is sold at Best Buy Stores. this is actually a really nice case, but it was like $38.00...way over priced.

now, I'm rocking the Amzer TPU Smoke case, and i really like the way this one feels, but it's a bit hard to use the camera and volume buttons. so, now, I'm waiting on the Otterbox Cases. these two dont look super bulky and look sharp:

Impact
DROID X by Motorola Impact Series Case // OtterBox.com
Commuter
DROID X by Motorola Commuter Series Case // OtterBox.com

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I gave up too. Cases on the X make it too bulky for my liking. I really would like an Incipio Feather case, but I doubt that will be released any time soon. The Seidio Active is also another I would really like, but that company is also taking their sweet time. So now they just lost my business.

Plus I've really come to like my naked X with a Steinheil anti-fingerprint protector. I purchased a the dock from Verizon last Monday and the rep was very pushy that I get a case. She reminded me several times that if I came in with a broken X they wouldn't do anything if it showed physical damage. I kept saying no thanks and when we went to the register she told me that she grabbed this case for me for only like 20 bucks. I stopped being nice and told her to shove it, I only want the dock.

I guess it's rare to run naked through the world.

I would have said, "If you want me to buy the case, then you can put the dock back on the shelf because the case won't work with the dock."

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
really like this guys case. Not too bulky. One peice and fits with the extended battery back. It wont fit on a dock but is easy to take on and off. Not like verizons snap on cases. Doesnt kill you on shipping and they are a good price. Had one for my storm2 and when I got rid of that garbage phone I went with his for the X.

ALso what I like is that the lip of the side covers that small gap inbetween the phone and the screen to prevent dust from getting in there.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the Verizon "Hard" silicone case on mine. It does not attract dust like the standard silicone case does, it does not add that much bulk and it's really easy to take off to pop your phone into a dock. Also, it's really simple to run under water to rinse and clean it.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I really cant believe that none of the companies took in consideration of a case with the docks. I go naked mostly but when I know that I will be away from docks, like when I out with friend I throw my case on my device. The constant removing of case to place on dock can be a pain..

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I really cant believe that none of the companies took in consideration of a case with the docks. I go naked mostly but when I know that I will be away from docks, like when I out with friend I throw my case on my device. The constant removing of case to place on dock can be a pain..

I agree. Motorola almost got it right with the Auto Mount. The easily removable liner is imprinted with "(remove when using genuine Motorola protective case)", which would be dandy if the genuine Motorola protective case actually existed. I sure couldn't find it anywhere.

I was able to use my Dremel tool to modify the Auto Mount to work with my Platinum Case from BB, and I'm satisfied with the results, but it was a bit of a scary operation. I'm just not going to bother using the Multimedia Station any more. It's not worth the time and wear and tear of removing and reinstalling the case.

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the Epik Resin case will still fit in the Verizon leather belt clip csae? Anyone know how thick it is?

Im sure it would fit. it "almost" fits the car dock with the plastic piece removed. Doesn't add much thickness to the phone.

What I like most is that its easy to take off and put on. Perfect for charging on the dock. Plus the cases are cheap. Worth a try.

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Like some of you here, I'm still waiting for a better option- the otterbox may be what I get.

But I tell you, I picked the soft TPU case- and like that- still fits super snug in the leather holster, and I feel a lot better putting it in a pocket.

And I like the silicone grip that prevents it from slip sliding away when I place in a car or on my desk.

matrix2004

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I bought the black hard silicon too. I figure i can use it when i'm home but when i go out in the car its a hassle to take it off and on again after using the car mount so i decided when i drive i will buy and use this. Just slip it in and out with no hassle. Plus this thing is real thin.

Sena Cases - Designer Leather Cases : Droid X Leather Cases UltraSlim for Motorola

Its been very reliable for Iphone users and a version for the Droid X is taking pre-orders. I ordered mine yesterday. This along with the

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm about to give up on the snap on carbon-fiber looking VZW case myself. It increases the bulk of the phone too much and buttons are recessed too much as well. Making operation a little awkward.

Seymour324

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Ive been running naked well naked with a invisible shield on it which is awesome to prevent scratches and such but im still nervous about dropping my phone (which i almost never do (knock on wood)) but i too am waiting to see if they release a thing case that wont add bulk but adds protection

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000