Trident Case Kraken up for pre-order

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It would survive a wet hands (fishing hands ha ha!) One reason I got one. Could I bear to use it every day? Not me, but I will use it for camping, fishing and those sorts of things : ) great case, way better than OB. The ports are actually flush and protected, the dust covers are made of a funky (like dryer sheets) stuff that water will bead off of at first, so a drop in the beer could spell phone OK, if it doesn't sit, and the case is removed to dry afterwards! DD is the case guru around here!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I got my holster and I have to say that I'm disappointed. I absolutely love this case, but the holster looks like it was pushed out the door too soon. The fit of the cased phone in the holster is very loose, like the holster was actually made for another phone, but they decided it was a close enough fit for the X. My phone fell out of the case twice the first day I had it. The belt clip is pathetic. Instead of a sturdy metal spring clip, then have a weak, thin piece of plastic that has a slight bend molded into it to retain the tension needed to keep the clip closed...it doesn't work. It doesn't really stay closed when clipped over a belt, nor does it have a significant lip at the bottom to help it remain on the belt. The entire holster/phone popped off my belt once on the first day when I sat down in my office chair...thank goodness the case is solid as a rock. That's 3 times in the first day that my phone has fallen to the ground because of the holster. Now the whole rig is going in my closet until they can re-design the holster. I love the case, but I've got to have a reliable holster to go with it...back to Seidio.

This reminds me of the OtterBox situation with the Storm 2...good case, but the phone was constantly falling out of the holster because of poor design.

I did email them about this on Friday, but I've not had a response yet. If I hear more, I'll post it in this thread.

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got my holster and I have to say that I'm disappointed. I absolutely love this case, but the holster looks like it was pushed out the door too soon. The fit of the cased phone in the holster is very loose, like the holster was actually made for another phone, but they decided it was a close enough fit for the X. My phone fell out of the case twice the first day I had it. The belt clip is pathetic. Instead of a sturdy metal spring clip, then have a weak, thin piece of plastic that has a slight bend molded into it to retain the tension needed to keep the clip closed...it doesn't work. It doesn't really stay closed when clipped over a belt, nor does it have a significant lip at the bottom to help it remain on the belt. The entire holster/phone popped off my belt once on the first day when I sat down in my office chair...thank goodness the case is solid as a rock. That's 3 times in the first day that my phone has fallen to the ground because of the holster. Now the whole rig is going in my closet until they can re-design the holster. I love the case, but I've got to have a reliable holster to go with it...back to Seidio.

This reminds me of the OtterBox situation with the Storm 2...good case, but the phone was constantly falling out of the holster because of poor design.

I did email them about this on Friday, but I've not had a response yet. If I hear more, I'll post it in this thread.

well this is really disappointing. I was going to order the case with holster but now I don't know what to do. I was a fan of otterbox had two defenders for bb but debating kraken or defender for my x. I need a good belt clip for it.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got my holster today an agree with what greydarrah said , its a pos dont waste your 10 dollars on a 1 dollar holster at best.

Its a joke for a holster in the pic I posted I tried to show how thin the thickness was of the plastic any of those widths you see are not even 1/8 inch thick :confused: what was the designers thinking on this one:mad:

The main spring is well there is no spring its just a springy plastic thing forsure to break within a few uses
The clip that holds the phone in isnt all that either and a pain to get phone in and out off , the pocket ledge (where my finger is at) doesnt go all the way across the bottom either just a little bit from each side .

Now who wants to buy my slightly used holster haha :p

2011-01-27_20-46-53_695.jpg

Reactions: Dirty Ders

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I got my holster today an agree with what greydarrah said , its a pos dont waste your 10 dollars on a 1 dollar holster at best.

Its a joke for a holster in the pic I posted I tried to show how thin the thickness was of the plastic any of those widths you see are not even 1/8 inch thick :confused: what was the designers thinking on this one:mad:

The main spring is well there is no spring its just a springy plastic thing forsure to break within a few uses
The clip that holds the phone in isnt all that either and a pain to get phone in and out off , the pocket ledge (where my finger is at) doesnt go all the way across the bottom either just a little bit from each side .

Now who wants to buy my slightly used holster haha :p

2011-01-27_20-46-53_695.jpg

I really like this company and LOVE the Kraken case, but the holster is going to have to be redesigned if they want to be a serious player in this very competitive case market. You can see in this picture how the bottom of the belt clip doesn't even close. If you sit down in an arm chair and the holster catches a little on the chair's arm, it pops right off your belt. The flimsy plastic piece that is supposed to retain the clip tension is going to snap after being stressed a few times. Finally, although you can't see this in David's pic, the phone doesn't even fit snugly in the holster. There is so much play, it moves around inside the holster so much that it can fall out without even opening the retention clip.

The case is too large to carry in your pocket so it almost requires a solid holster. I say send it back to the engineering department for a re-design. It needs to be a tighter fit around the case (the Droid X case this time), and add a more substantial metal spring type clip. They need to look at the belt clip design on the Seidio or the Verizon holster.

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Just talked to Trident Customer Support on 02/22/11, and they told me that replacement screen protectors will be available soon. Mine is still holding up very nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech