which extended battery is best?

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone this is my first thread on AC since joining about a month ago, I've been doing tons of research and have a good grasp on the DX and its strides but I have a question I have not been able to find a clear answer as far as which extended battery is best?

I've been checking out the Verizon extended battery and the seidio and noticed Verizon's battery has a bit more juice but is about a millimeter thicker and requires a new battery door that sticks out a bit, has anyone had any issues reguarding the Verizon battery? I plan on not using the battery door if I get it since I have the bodyglove case and since it has a felt back to keep debree out it shouldn't be an issue and keep it's stock appearance let alone allow me to keep using the case.

What are your opinions on this? Good idea? Bad idea?

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting question. It can be confusing to sort out all the different possibilities, but there must be at least one better than the others. The batteries don't seem to have much more power than stock. Is it worth the major expense to get one? I'm running down to about 30 percent on a very busy day using stock with a full charge at morning. Would consider an extended, especially since Otterbox fits over it. Not sure the expense would make that much of a difference.

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I figure I'll probably get a bit over 20% with Verizons ext. Battery over seidios 17% life increase, I use my phone heavily and am rooted with Rubix Focused 1.8.9 so my battery life is already pretty good but on most days after calls, text, browsing and streaming media from 8-9a.m. till about 4p.m. I'm left with 30% and that's not gonna last me till I go to bed.

The other alternative is to get a spare battery but do I really wanna have to pop my case open twice a day to swap batterys and charge them both? Seems like it would get old quick.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The other alternative is an external battery, I like this solution since they're much bigger (I have two 10,000mAH APC UPB10s) and they'll work with my wife's phone, my Blackberry, my wife's Kindle and my next phone.

As a word of warning, look for one that can handle more than 1A on the output and beware if there are two output ports. When the X gets low on life 1A won't cut it unless you start turning off radios. I also have a New Trent 5400mAH battery that works great if the phone is mostly charged, but once I'm down to the dregs the phone draws too much power and it shuts down.

For reference, I used my APC battery on a 14 hour plane ride, radios off but Slacker was playing the entire time and there was more than a little game play. My APC was about 40% at the end of the flight and the internal battery wasn't touched. I also went entire days with heavy GPS use and wifi enabled without issue. Never had to crack open a second external battery.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I use the Verizon extended and it's probably the best investment I've made in the phone. On a normal workday with the standard battery I could get from 7am to about 8pm...and now with the extended battery, I get to midnight when I go to bed. That extra four hours (where I use the phone the most usually playing WordFeud with a few different friends) helps a lot. I don't use any cases or anything, so the 1mm addition is hardly noticeable. Just a little ridge that didn't used to be there.

It also helps that I get discounts on accessories through my corporate discount, so the 40 bucks I spent after tax was well worth it.

Reactions: quikric

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the Verizon battery; the additional door does not interfere with the Seidio case. The battery itself has given me about 20%-25% more usage over the stock battery.
I since have quit using the Seidio case becasue I am utilizing the car dock (a pain taking the case on and off). It does not interfere with the dock but must admit that the fit of the door is weird. It sticks up an leaves the edges up and exposed on the sides and the bottom. Feels weird every time I pick up the phone....not very well thought out. I would be willing to try the Seidio battery just because of the door issue. The yet to be released Seidio extended battery looks awful (huge) but claims to give 50% more life (it better considering how big and ugly it is).

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the Verizon battery. The extra thickness is negligible. My phone is used primarily for business; Lots of emails, txt, phone calls, and some web surfing. I cannot afford to be caught in a situation where I am with a low battery, so I purchased the extended battery for peace of mind. I did not purchase a car charger, but instead opted for an extra battery. So far it has served me well.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I love the Moto/Verizon extended battery. I never take it out, and now I can generally beat up on the battery as much as I like and make it through a day. After a couple days the slight added weight and thickness was totally unnoticeable.

Given how variable the quality control seems to be on past Seidio batteries I would stay away from the ones that provide only a small increase in capacity over stock, as they end up not providing you with any extra capacity at all. The incredibly large ones should be nice, although they will add a lot of thickness to the phone.

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I got the one from Verizon about a month ago. The first one I got was DOA, the second one died a week after I got it, and even then the week that I used it for I did not notice any difference in battery life, and I was considering returning it when it died on me.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I am a heavy user and I have to say my DX original battery lasts me an entire day with ease. I do not have corporate email tied into though.

Is this due to my settings? My screen brightness is all the way down (barely see red) with auto turned off. I had a task killer on for the first week before taking it off to test the difference. The battery lasted longer w/ ATK. But that's not the point.

I have several email accounts, made no changes to social app feeds (use many widgets) and I make A LOT of calls and do A LOT of text messaging.

When I had the D1 I needed to charge the device by mid day and the DINC forget it! I would be down 10 percent before leaving the house (although bump charging helped).

So, is everyone using there device more to where the extended battery is needed or are my settings helping me that much? One thing I never believed in was hampering a phones ability to save on juice. Just curious.

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Just an update on the battery situation, I ended up getting the Verizon extended battery and put a full charge on it. Since then i reset batt stats and rebooted the phone. I've been on the phone for 2 hours with little browsing and texting and the phone is still reading full so I'm happy.

I also tried to use the battery cover with my body glove case and that was a no go so I opted not to use a cover at all and everything fits fine. I noticed a little copper prong that sticks out by the battery tab and touches the batt cover, is this part of the antenna that uses the cover as part of the antenna? Either way I have 0 reception issues.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I also use the vzw extended battery. Don't even notice the tiny extra girth, but i do like the added battery. It was a must for me, because my service is not great at the office so it kills the battery quickly

richpease

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Verizon and it has performed well, but since I flashed to rubIX the other day, my performance has dropped noticeably. Not sure what changed, but I am trying to figure it out.

mossyoak

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I use the 1930 mAh battery from VZW! I think it works great I can take my phone off charger at 630am and with moderate to heavy use it will go donw to about 30/20% by 11/1130pm. To me that is a good batt as with the stock batt i was getting between 6/8 hrs

JAM10238

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I use the verizon extended battery but to be honest if I hadn't gotten it for like 20 dollars during a moto sale, I wouldn't recommend it. The performance difference to me wouldn't be worth full retail.

If you can grab it cheap, go for it.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I love the vzw extended battery. It adds a slight buldge but not enough to notice much. It does give me the extra power to last most of the day.

xkevinx

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
i had the verizon extended battery and noticed the phone running a lot hotter than the stock. i ended up returning it. has anyone used the seidio battery?