Droid X TPU Case

skafri#WN

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
So, what does real TPU feel like? What are the differences between hard silicone and TPU? Just curious.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I am most likely mistaken, but I always thought that TPU couldn’t achieve that same high-gloss and tack that silicone could achieve.

I am fairly certain though that silicone is more flexible than acrylized urethane (TPU). TPU is more resilient to gouging and scratches, but even silicone has some self healing properties in that aspect. Silicone is more resilient for impact energy absorption. Silicone has one big downfall in my opinion, and that is insulation for thermal and electromagnetic energy. This causes the battery and phone to heat up and sometimes shutdown, and it impedes signal strength, so there are trade offs.

My silicone cases all have incredible tack, regardless of its sheen, some are dull and one is high gloss. It was the Seidio Active "X" (not the Active) that I noticed the heat build up and minor loss of signal.

The TPU case I own, is very dull and has no tack at all. It feels like it is always coated with talc. Its much more rigid, stays cool and doesn't block the signal.

Last edited:

cascivic

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
What I am curious about: Do these cases ever come in anything other than argyle?

I know right. for my blackberry they finally came out with the "pro" tpu case of ebay from dcmugen88 and that was just flat colors. now i move to the x and im back to the argyll!!!:mad: is that a fashion statement in china or something??

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Motorola DROID X Skin Covers

Other TPU cases. Clear back and color sides.

It?s funny that those look just like the VZW Gloss Silicone in black or purple. This is really making me wonder if the names for most TPU cases are wrong. 90% of all the TPU cases that I have seen and touched don?t feel like Urethane at all, they all look, feel, and behave like silicone.

The clear ones must be TPU but the ones that are black and purple with the diamond texture on the inside are surely silicone.

Plus, I just hate the offset rectangular speaker and mic cutouts.

OneStepAhead

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It?s funny that those look just like the VZW Gloss Silicone in black or purple. This is really making me wonder if the names for most TPU cases are wrong. 90% of all the TPU cases that I have seen and touched don?t feel like Urethane at all, they all look, feel, and behave like silicone.

The clear ones must be TPU but the ones that are black and purple with the diamond texture on the inside are surely silicone.

Plus, I just hate the offset rectangular speaker and mic cutouts.

Speaking as the owner of tpu-cases.com, I can tell you the black and purple cases you mention with the diamond texture on the inside are 100% thermoplastic polyurethane. I dont think I've ever seen a glossy silicone case before, they are usually matte are they not? I commonly see TPU mislabeled as silicone but I've never seen silicone mislabeled as TPU.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Speaking as the owner of tpu-cases.com, I can tell you the black and purple cases you mention with the diamond texture on the inside are 100% thermoplastic polyurethane. I dont think I've ever seen a glossy silicone case before, they are usually matte are they not? I commonly see TPU mislabeled as silicone but I've never seen silicone mislabeled as TPU.

A few things:

1) Thanks for the cases. My wife, brother and I all have one from you and we all really like them.

2) What happened to the colors for the DX. You used to have a bunch, now it's just a handful.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Very happy with the TPU covers I just got from Monoprice. Better than the ones I originally got from Verizon. The Headphone hole is the correct size too. $1.13/ez (~$3 shipped, 5 are less than $9 shipped)

Droid X TPU Case