Good WIRED headset + mic/boom

Agent Ninja

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Looking to see if anyone has some good recommendations for a good wired headset + mic. I'm on the phone in my car a lot for my work and occasionally my bluetooth will die during mid call. In CA they are getting strict about cell phone use while driving. Was looking for a wired alternative. I would assume most headsets have 2.5 jacks and would need an adapter to use with our DX.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a pair from a mall kiosk for BB actually and they are awesome. You can change the output settings in your X to different profiles, etc. Music sounds awesome thru them so as long as you have a clear signal, calls will sound the same.

Agent Ninja

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Not looking for just audio....

Looking for a wired mic....old school style, haha. Something along the lines of an over-the-ear with boom mic.

Mainly wanted an alternative to my bluetooth, something I don't have to worry about charging/battery.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Ohhhhhh well for that Id say run to WalMart. They must have somethin like that in a generic form for people who cant afford blue tooth or arent used to the "newfangled things" and prefer wired. Check into some gaming headsets too. Im pretty sure jacks are universal

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
You can buy any headset from or for any Android type phone, they all have the same Nokia TRRS standard and they all are 3.5mm. The only thing you need to worry about is iPhone headsets, those will not work correctly. I use the OEM headset that comes with the HTC EVO, cost about 3 bucks on Amazon, r just go to the shop here and the are some options too. If you want a boom mic then you will have to look at traditional handsfree sets for gamers or telephone operators, in anycase they should all work with the same TRRS standard set from Nokia a decade ago. Once again just stear clear from Apple specific headsets.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend staying wirless. Since you say you're in the car for this, get a BT speaker if your car doesn't have it built in and use that instead of a headset. First, you'll get longer use times between charges on most of them, you can get units that are not battery powered, instead they plug into the 12V outlet permanently. Second, all, or at least most, of the battery powered ones will work when plugged into power as well. Third, since they're designed for in-car use the good ones will have better optimized noise reduction than a headset.

And fourth, the headset jack on the Droid X sucks. I've tried three mid-to-high-end headsets on my X, an in-store demo X and a friend's and they all sound like crap. The same three headsets sounded fine in my unlamented Blackberry, my iPod Classic, iPod Touch, and a VZW employee's Thunderbolt.

JDHunz

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'd recommend staying wirless. Since you say you're in the car for this, get a BT speaker if your car doesn't have it built in and use that instead of a headset. First, you'll get longer use times between charges on most of them, you can get units that are not battery powered, instead they plug into the 12V outlet permanently. Second, all, or at least most, of the battery powered ones will work when plugged into power as well. Third, since they're designed for in-car use the good ones will have better optimized noise reduction than a headset.

And fourth, the headset jack on the Droid X sucks. I've tried three mid-to-high-end headsets on my X, an in-store demo X and a friend's and they all sound like crap. The same three headsets sounded fine in my unlamented Blackberry, my iPod Classic, iPod Touch, and a VZW employee's Thunderbolt.

+1 on this...

I have tried several wired ones, for when I was riding my bike and didn't want to risk losing my Jawbone Icon on a trail somewhere, and nothing even came close to the quality of bluetooth.

There is something up with, I think, the DX jack as my Shure in-ear didn't have the same quality sound as on my iPod. That was on my original DX and I haven't even bothered when I got a replacement unit a month after my original went belly-up.

Get a solid car speaker unit and you will be good to go...

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for a BT kit that supports media (ie, music) for the car that can output via wire to the car stereo.

I know there are many that output via FM to the car stereo, but I don't like those for multiple reasons, including sound quality (transmitter is so weak that they're overridden constantly) and privacy (since it's an open broadcast, the car next to me would be able to listen in on my phone conversations).