Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default why root a tablet?

I'm all for rooting and hacking and Rom-ing a device that you own but what is the benefit of rooting a tablet. I suppose roms would be a good answer but other than that, are there any apps that will not work without rooting? also my transformer has almost no crapware at all.

ROM
    Thundershed 1.3, stock

Default Re: why root a tablet?

Titanium Backup won't work without rooting. Also, custom ROMs/kernels can usually harness the full power of your hardware and give you better performance.

ROM
    gingerbread/ICS

i thought about it then changed my mind

Global Posts
    599 Global Posts

I just got my transformer today and can't see any reason I would want to root it. Sure I root my phones. I do that for better battery life and wifi tether...have yet to see a use for rooting a tablet.

I root my devices for the same reason I don't buy apple products. It is my device and I decide what I can and can not do with it.

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts

Rooted.
    I need it to be rooted to do a proper backup. I also wanted to kill off some bloatware, though thankfully Asus didn't overdo that.
    I'll root it needed because it belongs to me.

ROM
    modified BACKside

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I root my devices for the same reason I don't buy apple products. It is my device and I decide what I can and can not do with it.
    This. Even though I was pretty happy with my transformer right out of the box, I prefer to have total control over my devices. I didn't pay 400+ dollars only to have part of the tablet be locked on me

ROM
    I.H.O. Mirage CM7.2

I just bought mine and it's still in transit. I don't know for sure if I will root it right away. But I know that at some point I will to push it beyond the manufacturer's limits. 2 weeks and my Optimus V was rooted and rommed with RodimusRom.

I rooted mine so I could use my PS3 controller wirelessly with it. Also froze some of the bloat, which is minimal on the TF, but still there.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Can you get significantly better performance form a rooted device?

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gpo1956 View Post
    Can you get significantly better performance form a rooted device?
    Yes, you can overclock it with custom ROMs.

You can but doesn't mean you will with all devices.

Global Posts
    599 Global Posts

Since upgrading to ICS, I just might have a reason to root. ICS sucks. If there is no update fix soon, I'll have to root to get HC back.
    livewiremaxx likes this.
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Since upgrading to ICS, I just might have a reason to root. ICS sucks. If there is no update fix soon, I'll have to root to get HC back.
    What he said. I tried a hard reset tonite and if that doesnt fix this thing I will be rooting and romming just to get back the old faithful operation and battery of Honeycomb
    livewiremaxx likes this.

That's a googleable question - try taking your question and put it in your Google search box and you'll find out. It's getting less and less necessary now that the app writers and makers are
    listening more to their customers. ;-)

I am rooting my device for various reasons but mainly I have several apps that require it and I also gain more administrative control.

To get JB awesomeness!

It's a totally different beast with a JB ROM and the hardware is actually decent enough to support it!

I had almost placed an order for Nexus 10 but I think my TF101 has got a second wind...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gtamhankar View Post
    To get JB awesomeness!

It's a totally different beast with a JB ROM and the hardware is actually decent enough to support it!

I had almost placed an order for Nexus 10 but I think my TF101 has got a second wind...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums
    What version of a ROM are you using? I want to update to Cyanogenmod but I am not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldhege View Post
    What version of a ROM are you using? I want to update to Cyanogenmod but I am not really sure.
    Use the team eos4 (running on JB 4.2)
    The latest nightlies are very stable.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

ROM
    Stock rooted

I would root it to be able to run ad-blocking software. I don't think you can block ads without rooting - I'd be happy to learn if you could, though...
    You know, I've never met anyone like you before. Usually when I meet someone new I feel awkward and shy. But with you it's different.

CleanROM is awesome for the TF700. Completely saved my Transformer from my list of biggest tech disappointments.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > custom Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r CROMBi-kk)

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by eibbed0001 View Post
    I would root it to be able to run ad-blocking software. I don't think you can block ads without rooting - I'd be happy to learn if you could, though...
    Ad blockers need root because they change and download a different host file, although others just do a DNS change.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.

ROM
    Stock rooted

I did root it and now have Ad Away installed. Very nice! No custom ROM yet, but having root access for ad blocking and installing Titanium Backup is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by OperationA7X View Post
    Ad blockers need root because they change and download a different host file, although others just do a DNS change.

You know, I've never met anyone like you before. Usually when I meet someone new I feel awkward and shy. But with you it's different.

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by eibbed0001 View Post
    I did root it and now have Ad Away installed. Very nice! No custom ROM yet, but having root access for ad blocking and installing Titanium Backup is nice.
    Congrats on the root!

Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock rooted

Yeah, I've had a rooted Samsung Fascinate for a couple of years but never bothered with the tablet. Now I'm considering doing my hubby's Thunderbolt but I don't want to have him blame me if it ever misbehaves - he's no techie.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast