How to root the Transformer

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
All credit goes to Paul O'Brien. Thanks Paul!

[warn]This roots your Transformer and adds the Superuser app. It doesn't do anything else. In theory it should be easy to create a flashable file that reverses this, but for now assume this is permanent. We're not responsible if you screw anything up.[/warn]

The method is very easy provided you follow directions:

• Download THIS FILE
  • Copy it to the microSD card (Not the internal storage)
  • Power your Transformer down, and reboot while holding power + Volume Down
  • Choose to boot into recovery (RCK)
  • After the update flashes on it's own, the Transformer will reboot and you're rooted
  • Delete the file from the SDcard

rruready

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Just grabbed one from NewEgg.com. looks like they still have them.

Newegg.com - ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (TF101-B1) Tablet NVIDIA Tegra 2 10.1" Wide SVGA 1GB DDR2 Memory 32GB Flash HDD NVIDIA ULP GeForce

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip brother! I just ordered one as well from here. Not only is this the first time I've seen a TF actually available from a credible site, it's also the ONLY place I have seen it for sale at it's suggested retail price. I have been watching ebay for over a week now and the 16GB version is averaging $500 (more or less). I finally decided I could spend the extra money to get this and after reading your post, now I feel that even though I'm spending more than I wanted to, at least I'm getting my money's worth by ending up with the 32GB model. Thanks again man! :)

notserpmh

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got my transformer today. I really like the idea of just getting root and not messing with anything else (different recovery, rom, etc), so I liked the promise of this guide.

I am on V8.2.3.9, downloaded the zip file to a FAT32 formatted microsd, rebooted, got into the RCK, it start to show a progress dialog then just shows the android guy with a triangle exclamation point next to him.

Any thoughts? Does the sdcard need to be completely empty? Would reformatting it help?

Thanks for any tips/input.

myxmastrmike

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok, ive got a slightly different issue. I just got my Tranmsformer a couple days ago, and when I first powered it on it did an OTA update to I believe .13. I ended up downgrading using this youtube vid YouTube - ‪[ASUS Eee Pad Transformer] [Tutorial] Downgrade back to 8.2.2.6 firmware‬‏ and am now showing build number: HRI66.WW_epad-8.2.2.6.1-20110325
I tried updating to 8.2.3.9 using this tutorial ( http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/TF101/Update_Launcher_SOP_WW.pdf ) but when I put the sd card into the slot, I never get the alert for system update file detected....

So I guess my question is two fold...

A. Is there simple one-file root option for 8.2.2.6 like there is for 8.2.3.9?

B. If not, how in the heck do I get from 8.2.2.6 to 8.2.3.9!? LOL

Thanks!

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Just got my transformer today. I really like the idea of just getting root and not messing with anything else (different recovery, rom, etc), so I liked the promise of this guide.

I am on V8.2.3.9, downloaded the zip file to a FAT32 formatted microsd, rebooted, got into the RCK, it start to show a progress dialog then just shows the android guy with a triangle exclamation point next to him.

Any thoughts? Does the sdcard need to be completely empty? Would reformatting it help?

Thanks for any tips/input.
*update*
I was able to update to 8.2.3.9 finally... but now... im getting the same error as notserpmh...
WTF :( lol

This method no longer work with the update. Follow the link in my previous post, that is the method that work.

Reactions: famtks

mdpgc

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Does this zip file work with (Build epad-8.2.3.9-20110423) Android version 3.0.1. I just got my Transformer today and I have yet to update it with the new Asus Update. Just wanted to make sure I could root with this zip before actually using it.