Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to root the Transformer

This roots your Transformer and adds the Superuser app. It doesn't do anything else. In theory it should be easy to create a flashable file that reverses this, but for now assume this is permanent. We're not responsible if you screw anything up.

The method is very easy provided you follow directions:

• Download
    • Copy it to the microSD card (Not the internal storage)
    • Power your Transformer down, and reboot while holding power + Volume Down
    • Choose to boot into recovery (RCK)
    • After the update flashes on it's own, the Transformer will reboot and you're rooted
    • Delete the file from the SDcard
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Thanks for posting this up but the link does not load the download?

ROM
    Stock (Rooted)

Downloads fine for me.

Edit: This doesn't work on the latest FOTA.
    Last edited by jg274105; 05-08-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Anyone have an update on this? Would like to root mine but this doesn't seem to work

That would be awesome to root my Transformer if I could find one to buy. Nice planning and distribution ASUS!

Quote Originally Posted by usmc176 View Post
    That would be awesome to root my Transformer if I could find one to buy. Nice planning and distribution ASUS!
    Best Buy has then available as of now.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Gingerblur (Stock w/root)

Quote Originally Posted by pkooistra View Post
    best buy has then available as of now.
    i love you. Thank you.

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by usmc176 View Post
    Just grabbed one from NewEgg.com. looks like they still have them.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by czm2000 View Post
    Just grabbed one from NewEgg.com. looks like they still have them.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the tip brother! I just ordered one as well from here. Not only is this the first time I've seen a TF actually available from a credible site, it's also the ONLY place I have seen it for sale at it's suggested retail price. I have been watching ebay for over a week now and the 16GB version is averaging $500 (more or less). I finally decided I could spend the extra money to get this and after reading your post, now I feel that even though I'm spending more than I wanted to, at least I'm getting my money's worth by ending up with the 32GB model. Thanks again man!

Let's get back on track with this thread.

I used this method last night to root my TF and install CWM recovery. Pretty simple and straight forward.

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

Quote Originally Posted by baseballfanz View Post
    Let's get back on track with this thread.

I used this method last night to root my TF and install CWM recovery. Pretty simple and straight forward.

So does this method still work? Thought the OTA broke root for this thing?

Quote Originally Posted by mknollman123 View Post
    So does this method still work? Thought the OTA broke root for this thing?
    I was still on V8.2.3.9 so it worked great. If you have updated to .13 there's a couple of files
    that will let you revert back and root.
    kareden likes this.

Just got my transformer today. I really like the idea of just getting root and not messing with anything else (different recovery, rom, etc), so I liked the promise of this guide.

I am on V8.2.3.9, downloaded the zip file to a FAT32 formatted microsd, rebooted, got into the RCK, it start to show a progress dialog then just shows the android guy with a triangle exclamation point next to him.

Any thoughts? Does the sdcard need to be completely empty? Would reformatting it help?

Thanks for any tips/input.

Ok, ive got a slightly different issue. I just got my Tranmsformer a couple days ago, and when I first powered it on it did an OTA update to I believe .13. I ended up downgrading using this youtube vid and am now showing build number: HRI66.WW_epad-8.2.2.6.1-20110325
    I tried updating to 8.2.3.9 using this tutorial ( ) but when I put the sd card into the slot, I never get the alert for system update file detected....

So I guess my question is two fold...

A. Is there simple one-file root option for 8.2.2.6 like there is for 8.2.3.9?

B. If not, how in the heck do I get from 8.2.2.6 to 8.2.3.9!? LOL

Thanks!

*update*
    I was able to update to 8.2.3.9 finally... but now... im getting the same error as notserpmh...
    WTF lol

Quote Originally Posted by notserpmh View Post
    Just got my transformer today. I really like the idea of just getting root and not messing with anything else (different recovery, rom, etc), so I liked the promise of this guide.

I am on V8.2.3.9, downloaded the zip file to a FAT32 formatted microsd, rebooted, got into the RCK, it start to show a progress dialog then just shows the android guy with a triangle exclamation point next to him.

Any thoughts? Does the sdcard need to be completely empty? Would reformatting it help?

Thanks for any tips/input.
    Quote Originally Posted by myxmastrmike View Post
    *update*
    I was able to update to 8.2.3.9 finally... but now... im getting the same error as notserpmh...
    WTF lol
    This method no longer work with the update. Follow the link in my previous post, that is the method that work.
    Thanked by:
    famtks 

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Hi,

I'm looking for Easy way to root asus.
    This is an US or WW file ?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by studio93 View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for Easy way to root asus.
    This is an US or WW file ?

Regards
    this is a very old method. the newest method is here.

Does this zip file work with (Build epad-8.2.3.9-20110423) Android version 3.0.1. I just got my Transformer today and I have yet to update it with the new Asus Update. Just wanted to make sure I could root with this zip before actually using it.

Is anyone who has updated willing to share experrience?

Quote Originally Posted by baseballfanz View Post
    This method no longer work with the update. Follow the link in my previous post, that is the method that work.
    Your previous post shows no method, or am i overlooking something?

Quote Originally Posted by famtks View Post
    Your previous post shows no method, or am i overlooking something?
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/941643-post10.html

question for everyone is this method reversable or is this perment, i would like a simple unroot method, is this more or less a one click root seems that way a bit leary about one click roots, did one on optimus and cannot seem to unroot optimus s.

Quote Originally Posted by chawheefitzy@gmail.com View Post
    question for everyone is this method reversable or is this perment, i would like a simple unroot method, is this more or less a one click root seems that way a bit leary about one click roots, did one on optimus and cannot seem to unroot optimus s.
    Yes it is possible to unroot completely back to stock.

ROM
    Stock

does this work for Android 3.1?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast