multimedia dock with speaker(s)

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Would be awesome for trips and using the phone as an alarm. I usually sleep in a room with a ton of fans going so sometimes a cell phone speaker is not enough to wake me. A nice dock that connects USB and the 3.5mm audio jack that has a speaker so I can charge my phone while I sleep or entertain some people with some music. What do you guys think?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
well, thats going to be interesting on this device since both ports are on the top. Also, if you put the phone behind one of the fans, you'll get a nice robotic sounding alarm to scare you in the morning!

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Lol that would be hilarious. I think my wife would pee herself if she heard that. As for the ports both being on the top that is of no consequence as they already have a dock for the other galaxy phones and would just have to add a headphone jack and small speaker. There is already a dock/charger(vibrant/captivate) and looks like it wouldnt be too hard to add a small speaker and headphone jack.

Samsung dock

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
That dock is for the International version - I don't think the Vibrant/Captivate can use the same dock due to the different shaped phones- I hope I'm wrong though- I would hope all the phones could use the same docks for better 3rd party support...

ZoogieZork

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
That dock is for the International version - I don't think the Vibrant/Captivate can use the same dock due to the different shaped phones- I hope I'm wrong though- I would hope all the phones could use the same docks for better 3rd party support...

Things that make me sad: Incompatible accessories within what is effectively the same model of phone, in the same country. :confused:

EDIT: I don't know precisely for sure if accessories for the Vibrant / Captivate / international Galaxy S are all incompatible, but I'm suspecting so.

Last edited:

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I was just using it as an example. I think there is more then one dock on the samsung website. But honestly this is just to show that making a dock for the epic 4g would be easy.

Mattism78

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
It's nice to see that there can be a dock in theory. I just wish it had the dock mode like the X. That's really a cool feature to add to a phone.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I dont think it would not work for the captivate or the att version. All it is, is a USB dock that powers and charges the phone. As long as the usb lines up it should work.

It's nice to see that there can be a dock in theory. I just wish it had the dock mode like the X. That's really a cool feature to add to a phone.

Yeah the dock feature is pretty nice. Makes using it as an alarm or entertainment device pretty nice.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah Im loving the dock but Im worried when I get an extended battery it wont work. Might have to modify it. I LOVE the dock app from samsung and cant wait for 2.2 when the speaker will work and possibly the tv out function.

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that it does not. I wanted a case but really wanted the dock also. wish it did but if anyone can think of a workaround that would be great. Any suggestions?

tp72

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the dock with the phone yesterday but I don't like how it automatically goes to silent when I dock it. I looked for a way to change it within settings but no luck. Does anyone have a fix? This Android OS is taking a little getting used to, I was a Palm loyalist for 8 years.

Last edited:

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I coulg think is a die grinder and a sandpaper bit... but I'm not ready for that.

I started to fabricate mine and is in the process. The front bezel I used a dremel to open and now the front is off the usb plug was glued to the side with super glue. It is crude right now and not worthy of pics. When I finish it I will post so far it is working with the case on my phone just have to figure out a new backing since the one where the phone sits on originally is now destroyed. I have another dock comming in the mail so I used this one as a test subject. I already have ideas as to what I should have done to make it better. You never know until you try. The new dock that comes will serve as a backup just in case I decide to go naked. Will post picks soon.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the dock with the phone yesterday but I don't like how it automatically goes to silent when I dock it. I looked for a way to change it within settings but no luck. Does anyone have a fix? This Android OS is taking a little getting used to, I was been a Palm loyalist for 8 years.

I never notifced the notifications were silet while in dock.. should be a user option not pre selected

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

tp72

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I never notifced the notifications were silet while in dock.. should be a user option not pre selected

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I was mistaken. It doesn't automatically go to silent. Since the volume buttons are on the bottom when you dock it if your not careful or bump it the volume goes down.