Car Mount?

rundown87

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
What's the best car mount for the Epic? I need something that I can mount on my dash that will still let my phone charge. Anyone have or know of one that works well?

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
www.proclipusa.com LOVE their mounting systems. A little pricey but well worth it. I emailed them about an epic mount and if it will be a while I may buy another mount to will work. The great thing about them is that they make vehicle and device specific mounts and the device mounts can be recycled. I bought mine for a PPC6700 and I used it for the following phones: PPC6700, palm 755p, PPC6800, treo pro, palm pre, ipod nano (2007 version), and samsung moment. In fact my wife is buying a mount for her crv and Im giving her my bracket for her moment. So $39ish lasted through quite a few phones. Plus the system stands up to ALOT of abuse in the jeep.

bevorules

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I currently use a 'beanbag' mount for my Garmin GPS. If you use a windshield or vent mount, that's an invitation for thieves unless you take it down when you leave the car. It takes about 5 seconds to toss a beanbag mount in the glove compartment.

For the Epic, I'm thinking about this one:
Amazon.com: Arkon Weighted Friction Dash Mount for Universal Phone, Smartphone and PDA (Black): Cell Phones & Service

You can also use a beanbag platform that works in conjunction with a windshield mount:
Amazon.com: Bracketron UFM-100BL Nav-Mat GPS Friction Dash Pad: Electronics

Last edited:

13curly

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts LOVE their mounting systems. A little pricey but well worth it. I emailed them about an epic mount and if it will be a while I may buy another mount to will work. The great thing about them is that they make vehicle and device specific mounts and the device mounts can be recycled. I bought mine for a PPC6700 and I used it for the following phones: PPC6700, palm 755p, PPC6800, treo pro, palm pre, ipod nano (2007 version), and samsung moment. In fact my wife is buying a mount for her crv and Im giving her my bracket for her moment. So $39ish lasted through quite a few phones. Plus the system stands up to ALOT of abuse in the jeep.

I have ProClip also. The mount I used for my Centro also worked for the Pre. I ordered the Akron vent mount and hated it - sending it back tomorrow.

I want a new Proclip. Please let us know if they are planning on making one for the Epic - I'd rather have one specific for the device rather than the adjustable device holder.

sushi

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I want a new Proclip. Please let us know if they are planning on making one for the Epic - I'd rather have one specific for the device rather than the adjustable device holder.

Same here. I would like a unit that is specific for the phone vs the universal Proclip (which is awesome, btw).

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have ProClip also. The mount I used for my Centro also worked for the Pre. I ordered the Akron vent mount and hated it - sending it back tomorrow.

Same here. I would like a unit that is specific for the phone vs the universal Proclip (which is awesome, btw).

I emailed them and they got back to me saying they are in the process of making a mount and will let me know when I can buy. I asked them if it would fit an extended battery epic and they werent too sure about that but thats understandable as its not the most popular accessory as well as they do not exist for the phone currently. I would post the email but Im not 100% sure about androidcentral's policy of posting emails.

pastorich1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I am just using the desk dock as they have not come out with the car dock yet. It works well to hold an charge the phone and the software for the desk dock works fine as well. I can manually switch and launch the car dock software but the screen on function doesn't work, you would have to manually set the screen to stay on.

Of course the audio out on the dock won't be enabled until Android 2.2 is released to the Epic.

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I am just using the desk dock as they have not come out with the car dock yet. It works well to hold an charge the phone and the software for the desk dock works fine as well. I can manually switch and launch the car dock software but the screen on function doesn't work, you would have to manually set the screen to stay on.

Of course the audio out on the dock won't be enabled until Android 2.2 is released to the Epic.

That's an interesting idea. Where do you put it and does it stay in place?

appollod

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Samsung car dock

I noticed that Verizon appears to be selling the Samsung car dock for the Fascinate when it goes on sale this week. Does anybody know if that will fit the Epic? Or if Samsung will soon release a car dock for the Epic?

It appears all four of the US Galaxy S phone have slightly different geometries. Just wasn't sure if the car dock for the Fascinate will hold the different form factor of the Epic. thanks.

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I am also waiting for the proclip for the Epic. I have been running proclips for about 10 years. They are a little more expensive but well worth it!

I also have been looking at the samsung car dock pictures, but it looks like an extended seidio battery and cover would not fit.

In my mind the ultimate car setup is the proclip mount in landscape mode plus a seidio extended battery. I already have a Parrot ck3300 bluetooth integrated system in my F150.

pastorich1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
That's an interesting idea. Where do you put it and does it stay in place?

I used a stripped down Bracketron mount (no arm brackets or foam pad) that I had my TouchStone mounted to previously. I just used some auto trim doublestick adhesive on the back of the dock to attach to the flat Bracketron mount. I made sure to leave the USB and sound port exposed to one side.

It looks fine, is vent mounted so it stays nice and cool and is at a good height for line of sight and proximity to power and the aux input on my stereo (when that is enabled via the 2.2 update).

Oh, I figured out how to keep the screen on too without changing it manually. Once the phone is on the dock, the desk/home dock app starts. Instead of hitting the back button to kill that app, just hit the home button and leave it running in the background. This keeps the screen on regardless what you have running. You can then launch the car dock app or any other app you want like Google Maps or the Music Player (which normally wouldn't keep the screen on).

Last edited:

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I ordered this one. Got good reviews. It should arrive today. I will let you know how it works out.
Amazon.com: iGrip 1263 Extender Kit Universal Windshield Mount: Cell Phones & Service

So I finally got this car mount and am very pleased with it. It offers numerous configurations...standard bracket, extension bracket for mounting low on windshield, dashboard mount, and the part that grips the phone can be removed from the bracket altogether and be mounted directly to your dashboard (if you have a nice flat vertical surface for mounting). The phone grip is on a swivel mount that allows you to aim it in any direction and even orient it in a portrait or landscape position. The suction cup grabs my glass windshield like it is holding on for dear life. It seems really well made (Made in Germany).

Anyway, I would definitely recommend it for your Epic.

punzada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
So I finally got this car mount and am very pleased with it. It offers numerous configurations...standard bracket, extension bracket for mounting low on windshield, dashboard mount, and the part that grips the phone can be removed from the bracket altogether and be mounted directly to your dashboard (if you have a nice flat vertical surface for mounting). The phone grip is on a swivel mount that allows you to aim it in any direction and even orient it in a portrait or landscape position. The suction cup grabs my glass windshield like it is holding on for dear life. It seems really well made (Made in Germany).

Anyway, I would definitely recommend it for your Epic.

Thanks for the review definitely think I'm going to pick this up the lack of a car mount is killing me and I was very pleased with the igrip for my pre.

bevorules

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

ducatti20

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting for the Proclip mount to come out... they are the BEST mounts I have ever seen and hold everything in place so nicely... I too have e-mailed them asking when they will have a mount ready... totally worth the money it will cost.

ducatti20

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting for the Proclip mount to come out... they are the BEST mounts I have ever seen and hold everything in place so nicely... I too have e-mailed them asking when they will have a mount ready... totally worth the money it will cost.

In fact.... this just in... "Thank you for contacting us. The new holders for the Epic will be available in approx 2-4 weeks. You will be notified by email as soon as we have them in stock.

Best Regards,

ProClip Customer Service"

elbaso

Apr 14, 2010
about.me
In fact.... this just in... "Thank you for contacting us. The new holders for the Epic will be available in approx 2-4 weeks. You will be notified by email as soon as we have them in stock.

Best Regards,

ProClip Customer Service"

I can confirm this, as I received the same message last week.
Can't wait for the Proclip... Already have the car mount installed, just need the phone holder.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk

markz68

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I ordered Arkon's mount. The clip holds the Epic firmly in place. The beanbag part is quite heavy, and it does a better job of staying in one place than my old Garmin beanbag mount. Still -- I'm probably going to install the optional adhesive hook for extra safety -- I'm a lot more narcissistic about my new phone than I am about my old car.

Amazon.com: Arkon Weighted Friction Dash Mount for Universal Phone, Smartphone and PDA (Black): Cell Phones & Service

Will this work in portrait AND landscape modes?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692