Do I need to use a screen protector with Gorilla Glass? (answer inside)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
A common question, that gets asked in the forums, is whether a screen protector is necessary on a phone manufactured with Gorilla Glass.

Gorilla Glass is advertised as being scratch resistant. It should survive contact with keys, coins, and even razor blades without being scratched. However, even Gorilla Glass, can still be scratched by common abrasive materials such as sand, tungsten carbide or diamonds. It would not be uncommon for abrasive particles to come into contact with your phone screen by way of cleaning cloth, pant pocket, or even a case lining. Many forms of jewelery are made of tungsten carbide and/or diamonds. When these materials come into contact with Gorilla Glass, scratches can still occur. If you want to ensure additional resistance against scratches you will need to use a screen protector.

If it's your preference to not use a screen protector (put me in that category), you will want to take extra care in order to avoid scratches:

* Always use a clean microfiber cloth when cleaning glass. My personal favorite is Klear Screen. Both their cloths and cleaning solutions have proven to work well for me over the years. Wipe the screen gently. It's a phone screen not a bathtub.
* Abrasive particles often find their way into pant and coat pockets. Protect your phone with a microfiber sunglass bag, prior to sliding it into your pocket. This will provide extra protection against abrasive materials.
* If you use a pouch type case, consider that abrasive particles often find their way inside the lining of these cases. Sliding the phone in and out of these cases can also introduce fine scratches.
* Avoid direct contact with certain types of jewelery.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
A common question, that gets asked in the forums, is whether a screen protector is necessary on a phone manufactured with Gorilla Glass.

Gorilla Glass is advertised as being scratch resistant. It should survive contact with keys, coins, and even razor blades without being scratched. However, even Gorilla Glass, can still be scratched by common abrasive materials such as sand, tungsten carbide or diamonds. It would not be uncommon for abrasive particles to come into contact with your phone screen by way of cleaning cloth, pant pocket, or even a case lining. Many forms of jewelery are made of tungsten carbide and/or diamonds. When these materials come into contact with Gorilla Glass, scratches can still occur. If you want to ensure additional resistance against scratches you will need to use a screen protector.

If it's your preference to not use a screen protector (put me in that category), you will want to take extra care in order to avoid scratches:

* Always use a clean microfiber cloth when cleaning glass. My personal favorite is Klear Screen. Both their cloths and cleaning solutions have proven to work well for me over the years. Wipe the screen gently. It's a phone screen not a bathtub.
* Abrasive particles often find their way into pant and coat pockets. Protect your phone with a microfiber sunglass bag, prior to sliding it into your pocket. This will provide extra protection against abrasive materials.
* If you use a pouch type case, consider that abrasive particles often find their way inside the lining of these cases. Sliding the phone in and out of these cases can also introduce fine scratches.
* Avoid direct contact with certain types of jewelery.

Thanks. This is very useful information. I have some screen protectors waiting in my file cabinet, but I haven't found a use for them yet.

aclays

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine was scratched within a day, nothing else in my pocket but some chapstick. It wasn't huge, but it was visible. I won't dare let my phone go naked now.

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I dropped mine getting out of my car and there is a small nick in it not really noticeable but i am anal i might use my insurance and get a refurbished one that is not scratched IDK. But i am getting the screen protector from seido was just waiting for them to make it available.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
My mom and brothers have protectors on their epics and I have to say it takes alot away from the phone. Im pretty rough with mine and np scratches yet. So as of now the way the screen protector makes the screen view and the touch responsiveness loss just isnt worth it imho.

pcorlatan

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I started noticing scuffs on my screen and figured it wouldn't hurt to try a protector, so i did hours of research and finally decided on the REALOOK two pack on ebay for $11. I couldn't be happier. It was a bish to install but it looks amazing and unless you're looking for it you can't even see it there. The only issue I've noticed is that it's a little more prone to fingerprints, but of course they wipe right off. Definitely a great investment, and I have a 2nd as a backup!

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I got a screen protector a few years ago for the Samsung Instinct from the mall (the guy was so persuasive!). A few days later the touch screen stopped working. Idk if it was a coincidence or not, but i'm scared of screen protectors.

j_benj#AC

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I am super anal about my phones and first thing I did was order a pack of ultimate screen guards from seidio. Covers perfectly and I haven't noticed any less response to touch. I had one on my Palm Pre for over a year and never got a single scratch on it.

Reactions: Butters3605

jnorland101

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
when i first got my phone i went straight to a screen protector i wasnt about to scratch this beautiful screen. then i found out it was gorilla glass i was a bit skeptical at first but after watching videos about gorilla glass i decided to take it off... (mainly because it effected the quality, more glare, and more fingerprints.) now my epic is naked i still feel uncomfortable but i definetly like it better because of the quality of the screen( especially with movies)

however if i knew of a screen protector that was grease resistent i would probably take a look at it any suggestions?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about being specifically grease resistant, but there are a few threads in this forum about screen protectors and how users like them. I would take a look at a few of those to get an idea.

4 Star General

May 12, 2010
Visit site
It seems the ones sold in the stores are thicker, which hurt the functionality of the phone. I opt for the full screen Ebay choices, they're way cheaper and thinner but protect as good.

igobytony

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Bodyguardz is the way to go. Had it on my last phone, and have it on my EVO. Somewhat pricey, can be tough to put on, but so worth it!

You can't see it, it covers the whole phone unless you order just the screen part, and it feels cool. It's the same stuff they put on car bumpers to avoid stone chips. I hate cases and covers, but bodyguardz is great. Doesn't mess with the look of the screen (I swear it's almost better in some light, like less glare), and doesn't affect touch responsiveness.

Just follow the directions, and be patient. It takes a few days before all of the solution evaporates, and you may think it's not gonna work out because there may be some air tiny bubbles, but after about three days, it's AMAZING.

I really can't say enough good things about it. I'd post pics, but you can't see it at all.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Bodyguardz is the way to go. Had it on my last phone, and have it on my EVO. Somewhat pricey, can be tough to put on, but so worth it!

You can't see it, it covers the whole phone unless you order just the screen part, and it feels cool. It's the same stuff they put on car bumpers to avoid stone chips. I hate cases and covers, but bodyguardz is great. Doesn't mess with the look of the screen (I swear it's almost better in some light, like less glare), and doesn't affect touch responsiveness.

Just follow the directions, and be patient. It takes a few days before all of the solution evaporates, and you may think it's not gonna work out because there may be some air tiny bubbles, but after about three days, it's AMAZING.

I really can't say enough good things about it. I'd post pics, but you can't see it at all.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I have HATED every screen protector I've tried. The bodyguardz have caught my eye, mainly because they don't catch my eyes so to say...

Last edited:

zakth

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have used invisibleshield and love it. They are a bit pricey but well worth it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

kra2y

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed a couple tiny marks on my screen. Gonna get a screen protector now. Never nothing in my pocket with phone.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have always used screen protectors, this is the first phone without, and I love it.
After listening and looking at gorilla glass and how it doesn't scratch, thought it was worth trying.
I now have a few scratches in screen, small and I'm extremely careful, they don't show when phone is on, only off.

Wondering what would happen if Samsung was asked, while under warranty, to replace screen?

Wonder if they get worse, if Sprint would fix under TEP? Heck, I would even pay $35 for new screen.

Anyone tried any of these??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez