Best screen protector?

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I've tried one with liquid applicator that had orange peel effect and reduced the sensitivity of the capacitive buttons.

Another one that looked great, dry (but PITA install) but now notice its a finger print magnet.

Anybody find a protector with all the following properties:

1) Preferably dry install
2) No orange peel affect
3) no bubbles around extreme edges
3) Hides fingerprints as well
4) Glides as or nearly as smooth as the native glass.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

msw323

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
There really is no reason to have a protector on the Epic. The screen is perfect as is and has a coating that reduces fingerprints. Go ahead and try and scratch it as well. I doubt you will be able to.

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
That's what I thought but alot of people were saying a coin and even a chapstick scratched theirs.

I never carry my phone in my pocket (way to full with other stuff) and instead use a Siedio belt clip.

I think when my latest protector wears out, I'm going to take your advice and go 'naked..'

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
That's what I thought but alot of people were saying a coin and even a chapstick scratched theirs.

I never carry my phone in my pocket (way to full with other stuff) and instead use a Siedio belt clip.

I think when my latest protector wears out, I'm going to take your advice and go 'naked..'

this was the case with my Iphone... however I actually decided to take a key to my epic and was unable to scratch the glass on it. and I was trying pretty hard.

deffinately no need for a screen protector

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Bubble wrap works well. Although the screen distortion and lack of "feel" are the main complaints by its users (plus if you cover your whole phone in it it helps protect the glass if dropped).

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
this was the case with my Iphone... however I actually decided to take a key to my epic and was unable to scratch the glass on it. and I was trying pretty hard.

deffinately no need for a screen protector

Wow, now that takes guts. What would you have done if it put a juicy scratch on it?

I have an ipad, and when I first got it I let my 2 year old play with it. A day later there were 3 nice scratches on it (shame on me) and on went the condom. Still has a nice air bubble on it I couldn't get out, but no more new scratches.

This same 2 year old has destroyed more DVD's (and dvd players) than I can count.

Guess Apple doesn't use Gorilla Glass

heavy1metal

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/epi...en-protector-gorilla-glass-answer-inside.html

If you believe the phone has Gorilla glass, then read the above. If you are in the crowd the does not believe the phone has it, read the below.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/spr...lla-glass-epic-different-than-iphone-4-a.html

Though personally I've used invisi-shield on my iPhone 3g, and honestly it is the toughest screen protector I could ever imagine. It survived 3 dogs! I'm not sure how this will play out on the cap. keys, since it is a bit thicker, but worked great on the iPhone.

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/epi...en-protector-gorilla-glass-answer-inside.html

If you believe the phone has Gorilla glass, then read the above. If you are in the crowd the does not believe the phone has it, read the below.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/spr...lla-glass-epic-different-than-iphone-4-a.html

Though personally I've used invisi-shield on my iPhone 3g, and honestly it is the toughest screen protector I could ever imagine. It survived 3 dogs! I'm not sure how this will play out on the cap. keys, since it is a bit thicker, but worked great on the iPhone.

Yea, the invisi-shield is what I had. A bit of orange peel effect. Much less 'glossy' under the finger, but didnt' pick up finger prints. it did mess up the capacitive sensitivity though.

Your link about 'not believing it has gorilla glass' never implies it doens't have the glass, just says that some kid working at a sprint store still wants to sell you a shield.

Has anybody seen anything that states the Epic does NOT have Gorilla glass?

Dvin211

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the Zagg also. After reading these threads I realize pretty much all these screen protectors are going to affect the bottom buttons.
What I'm thinking of trying was to modify my Zagg shield by trimming off the bottom of the shield where the buttons are. I'll still have protection for 90% of my screen and the buttons will work.

heavy1metal

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yea, the invisi-shield is what I had. A bit of orange peel effect. Much less 'glossy' under the finger, but didnt' pick up finger prints. it did mess up the capacitive sensitivity though.

Your link about 'not believing it has gorilla glass' never implies it doens't have the glass, just says that some kid working at a sprint store still wants to sell you a shield.

Has anybody seen anything that states the Epic does NOT have Gorilla glass?

If you read through some of the posts, people are replying with how their screens are so easily scratched. A few posts later go on to say that the European models do have Gorilla and the US versions do not. Ultimately somebody states how hard glass is to scratch period, just that Gorilla is able to not crack as easily.

But both links I posted state that Gorilla is not bullet proof and at the end of the day, it's only scratch -resistant-.

I didn't have an orange peel with my invisishield, but I also got it a few years ago, maybe it's changed. When I bought mine they were known as "shieldzone." But yea I sort of figured the buttons wouldn't work, it is very thick. I also felt it wasn't nearly as slick as the glass, but I don't think you'll ever get a plastic/polymer to be as smooth as glass. Even plexiglass still "grips" if you slid your fingers across it.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm liking the Realook (full face protector). No bubbles and the screen feels like the actual screen. They come in 2 packs for $10. I messed up with the first one and didn't follow directions...I kept getting dust and bubbles under it until I kinked it removing it. That's when I threw it away and used the alcohol pad it came with and the microfiber cloth. I used a credit card instead of the little plastic card, and got it on perfectly the first time. I recommend using the alcohol pad (I was first using a computer screen wipe--no good).

anon(47596)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a PhantomSkinz screen protector. Like the others the capacitive buttons a little less responsive (especially the "back" button for me), but not a big deal at all. Slight orange peel, but I often forget the cover is on there. Very easy to put on. I had to redo it (covered the front facing camera slightly), but that was easy too.

PhantomSkinz don't say it on their site, but you get 2 screen covers for that $9.95.

Phantom Skinz |Samsung Epic 4G, cell phone skins, screen protectors, cases, covers, shileds, full body protection

sweat

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I installed a Realook two days ago. It is a fingerprint magnet, but when the screen is on, I don't see any smudges. Just the screen the way it was intended to be. And you can remove the protector, wash it and put it back on.

Several other posters recommended this screen protector and I'm glad I took their advice.

capitaltpt

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I second the Phantom Skinz. Yes there is ever so slight reduction in the capacitive buttons, but like the other poster said, not really a big deal. I've actually got the full body skin on mine (recommend the Matte for the body and clear for the screen) and it looks and feels great.

Danger_Mouse#AC

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I second the Phantom Skinz. Yes there is ever so slight reduction in the capacitive buttons, but like the other poster said, not really a big deal. I've actually got the full body skin on mine (recommend the Matte for the body and clear for the screen) and it looks and feels great.

Is it possible to post some pictures? I can't find any for the Epic. I was considering getting the matte finish but am unsure if it will look right on the sides of the screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz