Extra Batteries Needed?

kabbooks

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Purchased 4 Epics for the family which we will open on Christmas. I am debating ordering extra batteries and charges (based on all of the topics on the forum about battery life). I don't want anyone to be stuck somewhere and they run out of power on the phone, but at the same token I don't want to spend money if it is not needed. If I do buy extra batteries I would like to give them to my son's before they head home (out of state).

Initially, we plan to use stock phones. My question for those running the stock phone is can you make it through a 8-10 hour day with moderate use?

Would you recommend purchasing batteries right away?

Thanks

S0ckM0nk3y

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Extra batteries are a nice option to have. Especially when your family members are going to be traveling out of state. Me personally I have two batteries. One for home and one for work. It's really not a necessity (in my honest opinion). I'm just a little OCD when it comes to my phone having at least 3/4 charge. I do have a charger that I bought at the Sprint store that is both a car and a home charger and it also has a USB hub built into it for an extra usb cable to come off of it where you can charge two phones. The original battery I got with my epic usually lasted pretty much all day even with extended internet and text messaging use. Sprint usually has deals on accessories this time of year so give it at least a look.

Tom

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
My battery ran fine for over 10 hours stock. Actually while running 2.1, I had pretty good battery life. It started to lessen to about 8 hours or so after I upgraded to the "official" version of Froyo that was accidentally leaked.

If your family has used smartphones before and understand what draws power (3g, 4g, and the big beautiful screen) they should do fine with the phones stock.

nnb

feralpanda

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I got along fine with stock 2.1 as well. I couldn't always get through a fullday without a pickup charge but I'm also a very heavy texter and wordfeud player. I've never gotten to the point where I felt I needed another battery because getting a USB-microUSB cable is like 4 dollars on newegg so I put one at each of my computers, one in my car with a cigarette lighter USB jack (10 bucks ish), and charge it overnight with the provided charger. In my opinion, that does just as well for WAY cheaper than having a second battery. Just my two cents!

HeyBeerManTX

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Skip the phone specific batteries and get ya something that would provide extra juice to any device, such as the Zagg Sparq

Sign up for their 12 days of christmas sweepstakes and you get a 40% off code....takes the Zagg Sparq to $59.99....not much more than a battery/charger from Sprint, and usable for any electronic device that can charge via usb.

I've got a spare battery from Sprint, and I go through 1-2.5 batteries a day, which is why I ordered this item for my wife and other gadgets.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Extra chargers are the way to go. One in each car, one at work, (or at school), and one at home. If you work or live in a location with a weak (1-2 bars) of Sprint signal strength, get Juice Defender so you can disable 3G data signal when you are not using the phone (it will still get a phone signal, but will not use the data signal which hogs your battery).

buzzardjrt

surprisingly i have not had any trouble with battery life on my Epic. i can go 12 hours easy with moderate use, internet, texting, phone calls. matter of fact i can go 6 straight hours of streaming Pandora Radio and still have 20% left, and have done that several times. i will keep a charger at home, car and work just out of habit.

DFroelich

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I also bought 3rd party batteries. It was $11 shipped for 3 batteries and a wall charger. They may not last as long as an oem battery, but I usually carry one in my jacket pocket, one in my backpack, and the third...well I lost it.

Go over to monoprice and order a whole slew of microusb cables, wall chargers, and car adapters. At most, they are $2.50 apiece, but you will be paying $6-10 for shipping.

I figure spending an extra 10-15 on extra cables and batteries I hardly ever use is instantly worth it the first time I do.

aclays

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I've found for the most part my spare batteries don't get used, but occasionally I am so glad that I have them.

Just buy the $10 pairs of batteries from hong kong off ebay. They're working great for me, and the spare charger is nice to have.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I found a spare OEM battery on Amazon for $15 w/ shipping and snagged it. My phone lasts 8 - 10 hours on a single charge, but I'm constantly texting, web browsing and listening to music and pandora. Getting the extra battery allows me to use all the features of my phone without worrying about whether I'll regret it later when it dies. Definitely get a spare, if only for the peace of mind!