E:/ can't open cache recovery log error in clockwork on epic 4g

st_7

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am kinda noob to all this stuff, I am having problem in installing new roms in one of my friend's epic as I am getting this error "E:/ can't open /cache/recovery/ log" in clockworkmod recovery,when he got first we installed Bonsai-MasterKey-1.1.0-windows-installer(to change the spc to 000000,I think it also installed clockworkmod with it, because from then on whenever we tried to go into recovery mode we are greeted with Bosnai logo screen & after recovery options, we tried SFR, random rom plus by installing & changing between them various times with the recovery console that installed with Bosnai-Masterkey software.

But from today I am getting E:/ can't open /cache/recovery/log error whenever I try to wipe cache/wipe data factory reset/wipe dalvik cache in the process of installing rom(s), although the rom(s) are being installed correctly,the rom doesn't not boot after reboot & gets stuck at Samsung screen, I tried odin to go to completely stock,although I've been able to successfully flash stock rom EC05 using odin(which by the way boots & works perfectly) but it doesn't remove the clockworkmod recovery. And I did odin 3 -4 times, but same result. The main issue for me now is that I can boot into custom rom after installing it using clockworkmod recovery, may be because I am still getting this error "E:/ can't open /cache/recovery/ log" .

Please suggest me how to solve this.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: E:/ can't open cache recovery log error in clockwork on epic

I know there has been a few people that have had problems with the Bonsai Master Key Unlocker.

My best suggestion to you is to use the following link below and select procedure #2 for best results. It will Odin your device back to stock Froyo EB13.

Once that is completed I would use the following thread to root and install CWM on your device.

[MOD][One Click Root]ClockworkMod 3.1.0.1[RFS & EXT4]

Follow the instructions and you should be in good shape.

st_7

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I know there has been a few people that have had problems with the Bonsai Master Key Unlocker.

My best suggestion to you is to use the following link below and select procedure #2 for best results. It will Odin your device back to stock Froyo EB13.

Once that is completed I would use the following thread to root and install CWM on your device.

[MOD][One Click Root]ClockworkMod 3.1.0.1[RFS & EXT4]

Follow the instructions and you should be in good shape.

OK thanks for your reply, odined to froyo EB13 as you suggested, now everything is stock even the recovery module, but strangely when I odin again with the stock EC05 rom, the clockworkmod recovery v2.5 is coming and I am getting some other errors than the one I am getting before like E:/ can't open /cache/some files. I repeated of odining back & forth between EB13 & EC05, the odin with EB13 gives complete stock, I don't know what is happening with EC05(I checked it is a stock rom, odined it in another phone & everything is stock). From where does clockworkmod recovery comes when odining with EC05, odining means complete format(full wipe of recovery,boot everything) right?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Once you Odin back to stock Froyo EB13 you should be able to wait a few minutes and it will receive the OTA update to Froyo EC05. Allow you device to receive the update which will take about 5 minutes to reboot and complete. From there you can root your device and move onward skipping the need to mess with the EC05 Odin package.

st_7

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

once again thanks for ur quick reply, is data(internet) packages needed for receiving OTA updates, I ask this because presently I didn't subscribe any data packages from my service provider(Reliance - India), and are these OTA updates available for all countries, we are using this epic 4g in India presently.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

once again thanks for ur quick reply, is data(internet) packages needed for receiving OTA updates, I ask this because presently I didn't subscribe any data packages from my service provider(Reliance - India), and are these OTA updates available for all countries, we are using this epic 4g in India presently.

Yes for OTA updates data is needed to receive the update but I do have another option.

Please use the method below and you can update to EC05 and skip using Odin, this is the same official OTA file that is downloaded into your device and done automatically except you will perform it manually :)

Manual "update.zip" Method From Froyo EB13 to Froyo EC05:

This manual "update.zip" method is currently only for those running stock Froyo EB13. This will NOT erase your current data if your already running Froyo EB13.

1) You need to be on Froyo EB13. Follow the link provided and select procedure #1 to Odin back to stock Froyo EB13 This WILL ERASE everything on your phone (SDCARD WILL NOT BE AFFECTED) [How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

2. Download the update file from here.
Google Download | mirror

3. You will need to rename the file to "update.zip" once the download is finished. If your changing the filename in Windows Explorer just rename it to "update" and NOT "update.zip" or your filename will end up "update.zip.zip" and then it won't install.

4. Transfer the file to your root directory of your sdcard

5. Boot into stock recovery mode (press and hold volume down+camera+power for a few seconds)

6. Select "apply sdcard:update.zip" (You navigate by using volume up/down & select by hitting home key)

7. Sit back and wait for the update to finish and your phone will reboot into EC05 Froyo!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

st_7

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Yes for OTA updates data is needed to receive the update but I do have another option.

Please use the method below and you can update to EC05 and skip using Odin, this is the same official OTA file that is downloaded into your device and done automatically except you will perform it manually :)

Hope this helps.
I was thinking the same i will try it once I go to home, many thanks for your patience to clarify me out in detail, one more thing how to get or create nv items for 3g evdo data to work, i am stuck at this, i(we) used to have a forum link where we just need to put our parameters HDR userid(mostly meid@networkprovider.com) & HDR password and mdn, then it automatically creates data nv items(in txt format),just need it to be write to the phone using cdma workshop & we are good to go for 3g evdo on my service. The forum is down from so many days, so is there any link which can let me create data nv items for my epic or at least tutorial to create data nv items for epic