Rooting EI22 Gingerbread Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
ODIN is your friend. Such as above, phone was updated via Odin, I was rooted and rommed, so using this back to EC05 allowed me to manually update to Gingerbread rather than wait for OTA.

When problems occurred trying to root, actually obtained root but something else screwed up meaning no signal/Airplane Mode stuck, I just replugged into Odin, back to EC05, and applied manual update - now stock Gingerbread with everything I had done erased.

Yes, it can be time consuming to reload everything, maybe 30 minutes max with my backups, but its the easiest phone to maniuplate (except for the stupid rooting process yesterday), but fixing whatever is a piece of cake. Read how to unbrick phones, yours might not be bricked but that is what you want to do.

darrenmoorehead

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone --

I just tried the first step in the rooting -- installing the kernel-GB-3.tar.md5 -- through ODIN and it failed. I unplugged my phone and now the phone won't turn on. It gives me a picture of a cell phone with a orange triangle between it and a computer. How S.O.L. am I?

Any advice? This is my first time trying to root an Android phone.

**EDIT** Fixed it. Just had to fight my way back into download mode.

Last edited:

xalky

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone --

I just tried the first step in the rooting -- installing the kernel-GB-3.tar.md5 -- through ODIN and it failed. I unplugged my phone and now the phone won't turn on. It gives me a picture of a cell phone with a orange triangle between it and a computer. How S.O.L. am I?

Any advice? This is my first time trying to root an Android phone.

**EDIT** Fixed it. Just had to fight my way back into download mode.
Odin seems to work best for me when I pull the battery out of my phone when working thru odin. In the beginning I was struggling with odin because the battery was still in the phone. Once I'm done loading stuff thru odin , I unplug the usb from the phone and insert the battery to continue my process. Works everytime.

BrewedRuff

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have followed the steps to #6 but when I click START I get a message that says "The parameter is incorrect." Does anyone have any idea where I should start to find my issue.

DougBreu2

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I could not get the instructions on page 1 to work with my Epic 4g. After the Odin step it would boot into Epic Recovery mode and not allow the su** zip file to be loaded with out error. From reading on XDA developers website the Samsung developers changed the released GB to overwrite the Recovery mode startup code. Not good!

What worked for me is to reboot into Recovery mode immediately after Odin is done flashing. Press volume down, Camera button and power button immediately. And I mean immediately! Within a second or two to stop the reboot process. If you do this you will boot into CWM and you can then successfully load the su** zip file which truly roots the phone.

It worked for me after many unsuccessful tries with the instructions on page 1.
:)

I hope this helps!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Tutorial Update

:: Update ::

I just updated the OP in this thread with a new tutorial I put together. Its literally step by step and anyone should be able to follow and complete rooting your device if followed.

Enjoy and good luck!

Paul

schufford

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello, Paul, Ed, and all you Android gurus out there... Have a semi-noob question. Have rooted the epic through a prior OCR, and after replacement, the Odin+no wipe (thanks, Paul). When trying to apply the GB update from zip, I had to Odin back, and wiped when I bricked after flashing the "stock" recovery using a method found elsewhere (second mistake!). I was able to use the HotSpot Widget to turn on the Sprint hotspot, before I updated to GB (though I had been rooted), but now wants me to register, and sent me into the damned boot recycle. So, looks like I have to root to get the HotSpot function back (free). Will this method wipe my phone, again?

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello, Paul, Ed, and all you Android gurus out there... Have a semi-noob question. Have rooted the epic through a prior OCR, and after replacement, the Odin+no wipe (thanks, Paul). When trying to apply the GB update from zip, I had to Odin back, and wiped when I bricked after flashing the "stock" recovery using a method found elsewhere (second mistake!). I was able to use the HotSpot Widget to turn on the Sprint hotspot, before I updated to GB (though I had been rooted), but now wants me to register, and sent me into the damned boot recycle. So, looks like I have to root to get the HotSpot function back (free). Will this method wipe my phone, again?

Thanks!

The method on the OP of this thread will not wipe your device if your already on stock GB EI22.... All it will do is apply a custom kernel to make the CWM stick, CWM & SU access...

Then from there you can move onward to custom ROMs or whatever you like...

Reactions: schufford

schufford

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The method on the OP of this thread will not wipe your device if your already on stock GB EI22.... All it will do is apply a custom kernel to make the CWM stick, CWM & SU access...

Then from there you can move onward to custom ROMs or whatever you like...

So... do I _have_ to apply the CWM?

Really all I want is root access so that I can create a wifi hotspot. I pretty much like everything else, including the launcher.

Thanks!

bfguns

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
to sum it up, my phone already has the latest CWM (purple) with android 2.2.1 rooted. Can i just run Odin, flash back to stock froyo (sprint) then run the gb update, then root my phone? i can then reload all of my saved data from titanium?

one question about titanium - i restored the dialer file (sms,text) and it's now listed as a 3rd party app. isnt it supposed to come back as a system file?

Also, i'll be able to delete the sprint bloatware? my froyo is rooted but still unable to relete some sprint bloatware.

Thanks!

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Tutorial Update

I just updated the OP in this thread with a new tutorial I put together. Its literally step by step and anyone should be able to follow and complete rooting your device if followed.

Thanks for this detailed guide to rooting EI22, Paul627g and all who contributed to it. I finally decided to give it a try, since it didn't look too difficult and it doesn't seem to change *too* much (no new ROM with just this). I didn't have any problems at all. I was a little nervous the whole time, hoping nothing would mess up and wondering what I'd do if it did, but everything went smoothly and probably only took about 15 minutes. I got Titanium Backup after finishing up, ran it, and it asked for root permissions (and I have the app icon), so it looks like I'm good to go. I'm running an app and data backup with it right now. At some point I'll have to get more familiar with this app, but for now, default options and knowing how to backup and restore should suffice. Thanks again! Now I'll have to find out what I can do at this level, with just root access, before I look into installing a new ROM (though I suspect I'll end up doing that eventually).

Reactions: Paul627g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
to sum it up, my phone already has the latest CWM (purple) with android 2.2.1 rooted. Can i just run Odin, flash back to stock froyo (sprint) then run the gb update, then root my phone? i can then reload all of my saved data from titanium?

one question about titanium - i restored the dialer file (sms,text) and it's now listed as a 3rd party app. isnt it supposed to come back as a system file?

Also, i'll be able to delete the sprint bloatware? my froyo is rooted but still unable to relete some sprint bloatware.

Thanks!
Make you're backups with Titanium or My back up root and then here in the rooting and hacking section you will see a sticky for Mostly Stock EI22. You can flash into that directly from your current setup. Its basically stock with some good mods/fixes for the junk Sammy left behind. Otherwise you can do add you mentioned and user Odin to return to stock Froyo and run through the process.

Sorry i'm mobile so I can't throw in the links for you.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I hope this isn't too much of a sidetrack here, but two things related to this: (1) I noticed my Superuser app has an option in the preferences to check for updates to the su binary, and when I tried it, it finds one (v3.0.3) -- will updating cause any problems? (2) I got ROM Manager which I think is a popular tool, but it doesn't seem to recognize the ACS custom recovery I installed during the root process -- would I need to install this app's version of CWM to use it, and is there any sort of guide to using it (or managing ROMs in general)? Thanks for your help.

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I updated SU through SU's built in updater instead of Market and had no problems.

After rooting, one of the best things you can do to the Epic 4G is get rid of CIQ, which is what Sprint uses to collect supposedly anonymous statistics.

Install ei22-nociq-signed.zip with CWM or ACS Recovery, same way you did the SU zip.

On my phone there was quite a noticeable difference after that one.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I hope this isn't too much of a sidetrack here, but two things related to this: (1) I noticed my Superuser app has an option in the preferences to check for updates to the su binary, and when I tried it, it finds one (v3.0.3) -- will updating cause any problems? (2) I got ROM Manager which I think is a popular tool, but it doesn't seem to recognize the ACS custom recovery I installed during the root process -- would I need to install this app's version of CWM to use it, and is there any sort of guide to using it (or managing ROMs in general)? Thanks for your help.
I would really stay away from ROM Manager, until recently it didn't work at all on the Epic 4g and it is still "spotty" as to what it will actually do....

Stick with the CWM recovery, you will be much safer and be prone to less trouble.. Trust me on this...

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
When I tried to update the su binary from within my Superuser app, it fails at "Copying su to /system..." I'm not sure why, but it's probably not a huge deal, as long as I'm not major versions behind. As for CIQ, yes, I think I would like to get rid of it. However, that post says "Q: Can I flash this on an odexed ROM, including stock? A: No! You must be on a deodexed ROM." Since I've only rooted the stock ROM, I don't think I can flash this mod. So I'd have to flash some other ROM first, right? (And that might already have it, so I wouldn't have to do it separately then.)

As for ROM Manager, if you suggest not using it, I won't. You know a lot more than I do about rooted phones and what works well (or not) on them. It does seem like the app is more for convenience and it doesn't really do anything you can't yourself. So I can stick to doing things manually. Thanks for the advice.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
When I tried to update the su binary from within my Superuser app, it fails at "Copying su to /system..." I'm not sure why, but it's probably not a huge deal, as long as I'm not major versions behind. As for CIQ, yes, I think I would like to get rid of it. However, that post says "Q: Can I flash this on an odexed ROM, including stock? A: No! You must be on a deodexed ROM." Since I've only rooted the stock ROM, I don't think I can flash this mod. So I'd have to flash some other ROM first, right? (And that might already have it, so I wouldn't have to do it separately then.)

As for ROM Manager, if you suggest not using it, I won't. You know a lot more than I do about rooted phones and what works well (or not) on them. It does seem like the app is more for convenience and it doesn't really do anything you can't yourself. So I can stick to doing things manually. Thanks for the advice.

Yes I wouldn't worry about updating the SU.. Version 3.0 is only a month or so old....

Also yes you can't flash the noCIQ mod on Odex/stock GB rooted.... You will need to flash a deodexed version.

Reactions: rando991
Status
Not open for further replies.