Update Rooted Phone?

5dadd7

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
My Epic is rooted but I am running stock EC05. Can I update my phone manually to GB or do I need to unroot before going the manual route?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Rooted Phone but Running Stock ECOS

Yesterday we did have some people try and it failed on installation. I would recommend making your back UPS if you plan on rooting again after wards. Then use Odin to return to complete stock, unrooted. Once completed and updated to gingerbread you can restore your back ups with titanium or my back up root, etc...

kitchin

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Yesterday we did have some people try and it failed on installation. I would recommend making your back UPS if you plan on rooting again after wards. Then use Odin to return to complete stock, unrooted. Once completed and updated to gingerbread you can restore your back ups with titanium or my back up root, etc...

I wasn't able to do the update without odin'ing back to stock. Kept getting the installation error myself. After that of course everything went well. Let us know if yours go through or you have to go back, it would be nice to know of an actual person able to pull it off

5dadd7

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I am getting installation errors, so I will try the ODIN route. Thanks for all of the input.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If I remember correctly during the froyo update rooted phones were even getting the ota update without a problem. As long as none of the sprint apps were removed. I know... Different update.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5dadd7

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

If I remember correctly during the froyo update rooted phones were even getting the ota update without a problem. As long as none of the sprint apps were removed. I know... Different update.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I think some of the "rules" have changed... I believe Sprint/Samsung caught on...

Reactions: 5dadd7

5dadd7

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

Well I have successfully installed GB on the Epic! Had to go the ODIN route, and working on rooting it again to restore my apps with titanium backup. Thanks guys again for your help!

DrJPS

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site

Please help me? I have a rooted Epic 4G with FROYO DK.28. How can I update to the new Sprint official Gingerbread?
Do I need to un-root? if so how? And how to I root again with Gingerbread?
It has been almost a year since I rooted and I don't recall all the steps if I need to go that route.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Please help me? I have a rooted Epic 4G with FROYO DK.28. How can I update to the new Sprint official Gingerbread?
Do I need to un-root? if so how? And how to I root again with Gingerbread?
It has been almost a year since I rooted and I don't recall all the steps if I need to go that route.

You will need to use Odin and flash/restore you device to Froyo EC05. Then from there you can manually update or wait for the OTA.

Procedure #1 from the thread below

How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Once your on official Froyo EC05 and updated to Gingerbread...

Rooting EI22 Gingerbread Instructions

jimmarako

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I too have (HAD) a rooted phone so I followed the first step of putting my phone back to "stock" Froyo. Just a word of caution, I had no problems following the procedure (download driver, ODIN, froyo_eb13,...) What happened when I returned to stock is that I lost all my settings and accounts and apps. No email, no contacts, etc. All my pictures and music seemed to remain intact. There also seem to be some odd system stuff that remained like available ringtones etc.

I did back up my user apps which will have to wait until I get the time to root Gingerbread. I'm not sure if I should have done a "full" system backup then tried to restore the "data" for the system apps (using titanium backup). At this point its too late for me I figure so I'll slowly repair the damage I did. I've got most of my email, calendar and facebook re-setup.

Oh FYI my wife's stock EPIC4G retained all this data when she update to gingerbread so it was clear.y the "return to stock" that did them all in. This is probably obvious but it was 1:30am when I started so I'll claim lack of sleep.

Jim M

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I too have (HAD) a rooted phone so I followed the first step of putting my phone back to "stock" Froyo. Just a word of caution, I had no problems following the procedure (download driver, ODIN, froyo_eb13,...) What happened when I returned to stock is that I lost all my settings and accounts and apps. No email, no contacts, etc. All my pictures and music seemed to remain intact. There also seem to be some odd system stuff that remained like available ringtones etc.

I did back up my user apps which will have to wait until I get the time to root Gingerbread. I'm not sure if I should have done a "full" system backup then tried to restore the "data" for the system apps (using titanium backup). At this point its too late for me I figure so I'll slowly repair the damage I did. I've got most of my email, calendar and facebook re-setup.

Oh FYI my wife's stock EPIC4G retained all this data when she update to gingerbread so it was clear.y the "return to stock" that did them all in. This is probably obvious but it was 1:30am when I started so I'll claim lack of sleep.

Jim M

Your correct Jim. When you used Odin to restore to stock Froyo you lost everything except the contents of your sdcard (Pictures, music, videos and 3rd party ringtones, wallpapers etc..) You also were correct when you thought about doing a backup with Titanium and then doing a DATA ONLY restore once you rooted on GB.

Also correct about your wife's stock Epic. If the OTA or manual update goes off without a problem it retains all your data and setup on your device.

kamjam26

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I forgot to unroot before I accepted the installation and it got stuck at a certain point so I had to turn around and unroot with Odin and then flash GB. I was just rooted with stock EC05. Now I'm looking for a new ROM to root to in oreder to get a better signal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci