Epic 4g locks up after recent update to gingerbread...

saminbama

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
After update to gingerbread, my Epic 4G freezes about once a day. The screen goes blank, the buttons won't light, but the slide-out keyboard stays lit when open.

Reboot won't work (vol + camera button + power). The only thing that brings it back is taking out the battery.

Any suggestions? Please help.

Sam In Bama

saminbama

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Are you running a custom rom?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I don't think so. Here is the information from the about phone screen:

Model SPH-D700
Firmware version nubernel-2.6.35_V0.0.1
Baseband version S:D700.0.55.EC05
Kernel version 2.6.35.7-nubernel+
Build number GINGERBREAD.EI22
Hardware version D700.0.5

If I do have a custom ROM, how do I back out to get a more stable version? Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Sam In Bama

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. Here is the information from the about phone screen:

Model SPH-D700
Firmware version nubernel-2.6.35_V0.0.1
Baseband version S:D700.0.55.EC05
Kernel version 2.6.35.7-nubernel+
Build number GINGERBREAD.EI22
Hardware version D700.0.5

If I do have a custom ROM, how do I back out to get a more stable version? Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Sam In Bama

Yes your running a custom ROM or were rooted before upgrading to GB...

Your baseband is EC05 so that right there is a dead give away ... Thats the Froyo EC05 radio/modem. Then your kernel is not a stock kernel its Nubernel kernel you have in there which is a custom kernel.

At this point you want to consider a few things...

1. Do you want to run complete stock GB? If so you will need to use the following...

Odin back, Procedure #1

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Then do the manual update/OTA to official GB.

2. If you want to remain rooted which you are at this point and run a custom GB ROM then take your pick from one of the ones we have listed below.. First make your backups of your data with Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root from the Market and then boot into CWM, wipe everything and flash one of the official GB based custom ROMs.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...oms-themes-kernels-mods-list.html#post1402398

FYI, the soft reset (reboot) Volume up+Camera+Power doesn't work anymore in Gingerbread. That was removed.

Onune4425

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello, im having the same issue with my phone. My samsung epic 4g freezes every 30 mins or less of usage. I dont know what to do somebody toldme to reset it to factory settings but this phone is flashed to another company i dont know if that is going to cause me problems. Please help

saminbama

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I had a flash back to stock and then update at least 3 * with Odin and recovery function on phone. It was not easy but if you can find some good videos that will help

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So you saying i should reset it and later on update it 3 times? I dont know sound like a lot of work =\.... any other suggestion?

I think the post your referring to they must of had some difficulties with Odin.

Normally one shot doing a factory restore with Odin to Froyo EC05 then getting the OTA or manual update to Gingerbread will work.

skfitzpatrick#AC

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue.
After Odin back to stock Froyo EC05, I took the OTA GB 2.3.5 update. Everything came down fine, and my baseband version is correct (D700.0.5S.EI22). If my screen goes to a timeout, I can't get the screen display to come back on at all. I have to snatch the battery in order for any video to show up.

Aaarrgghh!! Updates!

Last edited:

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue.
After Odin back to stock Froyo EC05, I took the OTA GB 2.3.5 update. Everything came down fine, and my baseband version is correct (D700.0.5S.EI22). If my screen goes to a timeout, I can't get the screen display to come back on at all. I have to snatch the battery in order for any video to show up.

Aaarrgghh!! Updates!

OTA updates suck and often cause problems due to incomplete downloads. If you want to stay on stock, you should Odin back to EC05, and update manually using this file: http://android.clients.google.com/p...a5ff039a0c97.SPH-D700_update_EC05_to_EI22.zip

damillatime

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem with locking up on my rooted refurb. I installed the rom before thanksgiving and had virtually no problems that i recall while camping with it. No fc's the whole weekend that i remember either. Come monday i started getting the error message "the application google services framework (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped working."

I cant figure outnany pattern to that error message except that it happens over and over after the phone completely finishes booting up and im attempting to do other things...of which i havent really had any issues. The google + is really the only other error msg that comes along with the previous quote, but not consistently. I saw in an xda forum about clearing cthe contact storage cashe and the google services framework cashe but those r grayed out in my options.

Another issue that may be connected is just yesterday (5 days after i installed the rom) the camera stopped working giving a similar fc message. I hoped that reinstalling the rom would fix things, and i thought it did for about a minute -- the camera works now but i was getting those google framework stopped working messages all day today.
I installed all my apps fresh from the market and didnt use any backups in my new setup.
specs are firmware 2.3.5, baseband s:d700.0.5s.ei22, and i have the "acs ics v5 well do it live" rom installed
Sorry for the long message. I just wanted to put out as much helpful info as possible. What are the chances that i got a bunk refurb?
And if the sollution is to try another rom or go back to stock and test it out, is there a way i can extract all the dl'd apk files that my phone got from the market? Ive never had good luck w titanium in avoiding error messages.
Thanks for taking the time to respond in advance...im talkin to you, Paul. Haha

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem with locking up on my rooted refurb. I installed the rom before thanksgiving and had virtually no problems that i recall while camping with it. No fc's the whole weekend that i remember either. Come monday i started getting the error message "the application google services framework (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped working."

I cant figure outnany pattern to that error message except that it happens over and over after the phone completely finishes booting up and im attempting to do other things...of which i havent really had any issues. The google + is really the only other error msg that comes along with the previous quote, but not consistently. I saw in an xda forum about clearing cthe contact storage cashe and the google services framework cashe but those r grayed out in my options.

Another issue that may be connected is just yesterday (5 days after i installed the rom) the camera stopped working giving a similar fc message. I hoped that reinstalling the rom would fix things, and i thought it did for about a minute -- the camera works now but i was getting those google framework stopped working messages all day today.
I installed all my apps fresh from the market and didnt use any backups in my new setup.
specs are firmware 2.3.5, baseband s:d700.0.5s.ei22, and i have the "acs ics v5 well do it live" rom installed
Sorry for the long message. I just wanted to put out as much helpful info as possible. What are the chances that i got a bunk refurb?
And if the sollution is to try another rom or go back to stock and test it out, is there a way i can extract all the dl'd apk files that my phone got from the market? Ive never had good luck w titanium in avoiding error messages.
Thanks for taking the time to respond in advance...im talkin to you, Paul. Haha

Go to CWM and enter the advanced menu and "Fix Permissions". It usually clears up FC issues.

damillatime

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Go to CWM and enter the advanced menu and "Fix Permissions". It usually clears up FC issues.

Thanks. But that didn't fix the issue. Still got the Google framework error message as soon as the phone turned back on, which I might add isn't a force close that I can tell.

shotime79

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
My Epic is unrooted and has also been locking up and randomly soft resetting since the gingerbread ota upgrade. I was wondering if I should root it or do a factory reset 1st? And how can I back everything up before a reset? Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci