Rooted Froyo vs Gingerbread?

NovusGuitar

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I have an Epic 4G rooted from EC05 Froyo with Bonsai. Is it worth flashing back to Froyo, then updating to Gingerbread? And then rooting again?

Opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If you're comfortable rooting your device, you should definitely be on GB. Most of the devs are working on EI22-based ROMs so that's where the latest tweaks are being developed. And, GB gives me way better battery life and features (ie. Netflix, Gchat w/video, front-facing camera on Skype). Can't really think of any negatives to switching to GB if you are comfortable rooting, etc... Now, if you're not, that's a different matter. Lol.

NovusGuitar

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have no problem rooting. Since I rooted my Froyo and put the Bonsai ROM on, I've experienced much better battery life as well.

I'm pretty new to rooting and such so I don't know a whole lot about different version of the stock OS. Doesn't rooting replace the stock OS? If so, what's the point in rooting from Froyo vs. rooting from Gingerbread?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Actually if your that interested in jumping on board to GB, then there is no need to go to Gingerbread and then root... Just grab one of the Gingerbread based ROMs and flash away right over to it. Skip the whole Odin back to stock, update, rooted, etc.... No need to since your already rooted.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have no problem rooting. Since I rooted my Froyo and put the Bonsai ROM on, I've experienced much better battery life as well.

I'm pretty new to rooting and such so I don't know a whole lot about different version of the stock OS. Doesn't rooting replace the stock OS? If so, what's the point in rooting from Froyo vs. rooting from Gingerbread?

I have a similiar question.
I am running Froyo.DK-28 (non-rooted) I flashed prior to the official OTA update.

What is the process I need to go by to get GB on phone?

RandomKing

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am running Froyo.DK-28 (non-rooted) I flashed prior to the official OTA update.

You only need to root, and then flash a GB Rom. Unless you're stock and you want to stay stock. In which case, you'll need to update to a newer Froyo (EC05) in order to receive the EI22 OTA update(if it's still going, I don't know, I gave up on Sprint updates before EB13 :-\).

Reactions: Addie_Goodvibes

big_bake

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty simple guys. If you are rooted and on froyo you are already accustomed to the steps. The three big things are to make sure you are on the EC05 modem (if not then you need to find it and use Odin to get it on your phone),the EI22 ROM of choice and the EC05 to EI22 flashable zip.

1. Odin EC05 modem (skip if already on this modem)
2. Boot into CWM and wipe data,cache/dalvik
3. Flash EC05 to EI22 file
4. Flash EI22 based ROM.
5. Boot up and enjoy.

Obviously after a data wipe your phone will be like you just unboxed it. I recommend backing up all your apps (with something like titanium backup) and any critical data prior to doing any of this. I highly recommend ACS ICS v5.5. It runs great with no major issues, just a few theme things that need to be fixed. 10 lock mod included and is really cool.

Reactions: Addie_Goodvibes

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty simple guys. If you are rooted and on froyo you are already accustomed to the steps. The three big things are to make sure you are on the EC05 modem (if not then you need to find it and use Odin to get it on your phone),the EI22 ROM of choice and the EC05 to EI22 flashable zip.

1. Odin EC05 modem (skip if already on this modem)
2. Boot into CWM and wipe data,cache/dalvik
4. Flash EI22 based ROM.
5. Boot up and enjoy.

Obviously after a data wipe your phone will be like you just unboxed it. I recommend backing up all your apps (with something like titanium backup) and any critical data prior to doing any of this. I highly recommend ACS ICS v5.5. It runs great with no major issues, just a few theme things that need to be fixed. 10 lock mod included and is really cool.

1. Odin EC05 modem (skip if already on this modem) How can I do this?
2. Boot into CWM and wipe data,cache/dalvik What is the process to do this?
4. Flash EI22 based ROM.
5. Boot up and enjoy.

bigtimeweb

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

Addie

the GB rom is an OTA update pushed by google beginning 11/9, which you should have rceived and been able to install if you are not rooted.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma