Super User Installed but not rooted

demopedro

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello all!

Well I have followed the tutorial and THOUGHT I had my Epic Rooted!

I installed the updated recovery mod and have the ability to instal zip files from recovery....(Via Odin 1.85)

I installed the required kernel needed to accept the Super User program (Via Odin again)

I already had clockwork mod installed prior to updating recovery and kernel.......

I downloaded the superuser version v3.0.7 (41) and it is installed! I have the icon and can even get into the app....but when I try to use rooted programs and even in checking it with Ti Backup....it says I am NOT rooted!

Even when I try to update the binary on Superuser.....it says there is an update available.....but once it gets to the portion where it makes sure the phone is rooted.....it says "Fail" and asks if I want to try again.

My question is:
1- Is it the version of Superuser I have that is preventing it to root? Would a newer version work?

2- Did I miss something when I was "prepping" the phone for rooting?

PLEASE let me know!!!!!

I NEED this thing rooted as I need to use the tethering for my side job!!!!

:mad::'(

demopedro

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just a side note....

I figued I would try uninstalling Superuser...and try reinstalling...and just like it was on Froyo.....It won't allow me to uninstall Superuser!!!! Can I install a new version (if I find one) OVER it?

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you made sure you have busybox installed? Go back to the titanium backup app and in the first page of the app, it should show you the root status of your phone. If 'busybox' has a red 'X', go onto the market and download 'busybox installer' by jrummy.

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why that didn't work for you, but I'd recommend using Odin to get back to stock EC05 (note your data will be erased, so, if there's anything you really care about, make a back-up before doing this using Nandroid) using Procedure 1 from this thread. Then, I would one-click root it using Procedure 1 from this thread.

That should do it.You can then install the EI22 modem if you want to and a custom ROM of your choice.

EDIT: Actually, check for BusyBox first, as Officepolarbear suggested. If that doesn't work, then follow the instructions in this post, or in this one (I haven't tried it, but it should work).

Last edited:

demopedro

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the late response...

I downloaded the busybox installer from the market, and it says I need to have the phone rooted......

It will not allow me to install....it says;

"No root access!

Error root access not detected

Your device must be rooted to install Busybox"

Then a message on if I think I have received the message in error......(which I don't think I have as I have Superuser installed and even the superuser program says I am not rooted...)

I have a restore point saved in the phone to where I JUST installed the recovery mod (ability to install zip files from recovery) and the different "tar" file I needed....

But I may have mixed downloads from this site and another guy who had a video on youtube (qb77?)

So I will try from my resore point.......

I KNOW I have the correct recovery mod...so I will not re-do that, but I will try the 2nd file again with the link here...It's just odd I have S/U installed...and the phone is NOT rooted!

I'll shoot you guys an update!

Thanks again!!!!

demopedro

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
On a side note.....

If it helps...I tried to use clockwork to "reboot into recovery" and it will not complete the process....it looks like it MAY launch...but nothing....

I also tried to "fix permissions" and it states "an error occured while attempting to run privileged commands" thinking I received this error as I'm not rooted....

Could there be an issue in that I installed Clockwork BEFORE the attempted root?

demopedro

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just to close this one out.....I wanted to install the new EL30 updte...so I figured I would start from EI22 and move forward.....Also...using NANDROID back up (I did a backup prior to this whole process) I was able to put back all of my app's and text/notes/pic's etc using the DATA RESTORE AFTER the rooting process and update to EL30. So far I havr had NO problems and the EL30 update is still there after the restore.

I am not sure but I think the issue was I was not using the CW rocovery? (I was on the ACS recovery..) I am not sure if that would make a diff?

Still....2nd try was the charm and I am now rooted.....
:cool:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Just to close this one out.....I wanted to install the new EL30 updte...so I figured I would start from EI22 and move forward.....Also...using NANDROID back up (I did a backup prior to this whole process) I was able to put back all of my app's and text/notes/pic's etc using the DATA RESTORE AFTER the rooting process and update to EL30. So far I havr had NO problems and the EL30 update is still there after the restore.

I am not sure but I think the issue was I was not using the CW rocovery? (I was on the ACS recovery..) I am not sure if that would make a diff?

Still....2nd try was the charm and I am now rooted.....
:cool:

I rooted and used the acs recovery on my epic without a problem.

Just flash it...

tobaccoesdotcom

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the same phone, went through the same exact steps and still have no root. Are there any more posts on this subject>thread? How do I remove the ACS recovery (sound of hair tearing out)

Last edited:

demopedro

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I think you need to backup all of your data...then go back to 100% STOCK!

I think you need ODIN to install the files....

Google "stock recovery Epic 4G" and that should get you the files....

After that, you will need to figure out how to reinstall your old data....

Again..I still consider myself a novice so I could be wrong...

I am going to try to update to the FC09 update tonight....I hear it's not an earth shaking update...but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.....