Do any of the EI22 ROMs fix the lousy wifi?

cluefree

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I've been patiently waiting (ok... not that patiently) to see something pop up on the forums like "this ROM fixes the now-lousy wifi on Gingerbread"... but... I haven't seen it. Anybody have the scoop on why the wifi went from "fairly good" in Froyo to "basking in adequadicity" on Gingerbread? :-\

btc0526

I wish I worked at google
May 25, 2011
Visit site
So I've been patiently waiting (ok... not that patiently) to see something pop up on the forums like "this ROM fixes the now-lousy wifi on Gingerbread"... but... I haven't seen it. Anybody have the scoop on why the wifi went from "fairly good" in Froyo to "basking in adequadicity" on Gingerbread? :-\

The wifi isn't lousy. It is being displayed more accurate so it may seem like its bad but it was that way all along

cluefree

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I guess I should have been more specific... my wifi (and not just mine, based on what I've read) performance with stock EI22 degraded significantly compared to stock Froyo. I never get the same "number of bars" per se that I did on Froyo...and if I use SpeedTest, I see ~5-6M download at my home, where I used to range in the ~7-10M download (RoadRunner). I certainly haven't done a conclusive test or anything... but I have read that this is not an isolated problem. I was just wondering if any of the devs (God bless 'em!) have addressed this issue...

btc0526

May 25, 2011
Visit site

btc0526

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I guess I should have been more specific... my wifi (and not just mine, based on what I've read) performance with stock EI22 degraded significantly compared to stock Froyo. I never get the same "number of bars" per se that I did on Froyo...and if I use SpeedTest, I see ~5-6M download at my home, where I used to range in the ~7-10M download (RoadRunner). I certainly haven't done a conclusive test or anything... but I have read that this is not an isolated problem. I was just wondering if any of the devs (God bless 'em!) have addressed this issue...

Ohh I had the same problem after the GB update for my Galaxy s 4G. I did a factory reset as soon as I finished speed test taking and benchmarking and all that and it improved by about 1 Mbps

cluefree

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
It has occured to me that it was just displaying differently... but looking at my SpeedTest logs, I was definitely getting better throughput more regularly before. Maybe its a RoadRunner issue... certainly wouldn't surprise me... though I'm not seeing any degradation on my laptop... hmm.

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded to a Belkin 802.11b/g/n access point with three antennas and MIMO. That proved able to boost the signal to some places in my house my phone formerly couldn't pick it up.

Rather odd that my whole house doesn't have extremely good WiFi coverage when my office on the far side of a concrete block shop building gets very good signal from the same access point even though the office is about 75 feet away.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
factory reset... what does that wipe/not wipe? Apps? Contacts? Can you tell I haven't done this before? ;)

A factory reset wipes all your apps and data, including contacts and returns your phone to its original state. Your contacts and calendar should be backed up on Google and you can use MyBackup Pro / Root or Titanium to back up all your data, including contacts and calendar.

I have had better luck with re-downloading apps from the Market rather than restoring from a backup. To make this easy, you can use an app like App List Backup or Zemna AppList Backup from the Market.

I have tried quite a few GB ROMs and WiFi has been solid with the exception of early CM7 builds. I usually do a factory reset with new ROM installations so that may be the reason.

cluefree

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok... so I wiped my phone with a factory reset (and, coincidentally I installed "mostly stock GB ROM", which should have had no bearing on wifi) and my wifi seems to be back to its old self - consistently 8-9MB/s download at home again. Thanks for the tip, btc!

RandomKing

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
As a first note, I have had no problems or change in my Wifi connectivity. And my house is virtually wifi proof, blocking signal with every wall!

That said, it was my understanding that Samsung made adjustments to reduce wifi power usage in an effort to better save battery life. I have never confirmed if this was true or not, but it would make sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs