Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mobius360
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thoughts on CM7

Well its here, its been here a little bit now actually. CM7 is now official on our beloved, outdated Epic 4g.
    I had the chance to flash it over to my phone and have had a somewhat good time with it. First time I flashed it things went kinda crazy with some apps that I restored fc'ing all over the place. Second time I flashed it, things have been working smoothly. I think it had something to do with a titanium backup pro compatibility issue (that issue is now fixed too by using the free one and not installing the key.)

Other than that it seems to be running quite fine. Any of you others out there, it seems there are less and less of us, flash the good ol CM7 to your Epic? Hows it running for you and are you happy with it?

Default Re: Thoughts on CM7

I have been debating moving to CM7 from stock GB to fix the GPS lockup prob (not sat lock). I'm concerned about lack of some functions & stability. What have you found that doesn't work or doesn't meet your expectations? Everyone praises the speed but how does day-to-day use compare. Thanks in advance for your impressions.

ROM
    Marcusant v2 MTD, Samurai

I was thinking about flashing it, but after reading over the features/bugs list I decided to wait at least until next release. Running MarcusantROM v2 MTD right now and it's been the most bug-free and stable ROM I've run on my Epic yet.
    Thanked by:

Been running it since the first rc. Currently on nightly 10 and love it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

I periodically flash CM7 to check on the progress and it is much improved over the last few weeks. It is still a bit slow as compared to Legendary. I am currently running CleanGB-MTD and prefer it to CM7 due to the smoothness and overall lack of small bugs.

IMHO, Legendary is the best ROM to date for the Epic.
    Thanked by:

Everything I've read about Legendary sounds good. Does it have the Dock Sound Redirect working?

Man you must be getting bad flashes cause there isn't a TW based rom in existence that compares to cm7's performance.

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeinzu View Post
    Man you must be getting bad flashes cause there isn't a TW based rom in existence that compares to cm7's performance.

I have done clean installs several times with various CM7 builds. It has lots of customization options and is improving at an amazing rate but it is not as smooth or fast as some other GB ROMs. Check out some of the other GB ROM threads at XDA and you will see that I am not alone in my views of CM7.

In the mean time, I am really liking Clean GB-MTD...fast ROM and makes it easy to flash over to CM7 regularly.

I'm plenty familiar with xda. Some phones like some things, but whatever is causing the slowed down performance is either user error or minor hardware differentialities (which I'm never much a supporter of some phones are different crap. The same os wouldn't be put on every device of the same model if "every phone was so different that some like this and some like that" unless we're referring to OC/UV). Cm7 is cleaner with better implemented coding from the ground up (unlike TW roms which are nothing more than copy/paste of memory tweaks, a few mods that other people built, someone's kernel that overclocks, and maybe a theme, ect), has more available ram than TW based roms could ever have because it's not running the bloated TW interface that's integrated into the entire system/kernel, and has better mods/tweaks that were designed and extensively tested by much more seasoned developers than any building copy/paste TW roms.

Smile Re: Thoughts on CM7

Have to be honest...I had ZERO interest in CM due to it not having WIMAX...so, I waited...until WIMAX (Thanks UberPinguin!!!) and then I ran for CM as fast as I could! And I am impressed...these guys have been working diligently on this bad boy and it shows!

Started my CM7 adventure on nightly 9....can't wait to get 12 on as soon as I send this!

Smooth, NO FC's, excellent battery life, quick response from my EPIC in general, all apps run sweet! ....yeah it may not be 100% perfect, but if it was would we keep coming back for more?!

I've loaded everything from Bonsai, Thunderhawk, ACS, Macusant and Legendary. Been on EC05 modems and several of those nice ones until we finally ended up with EI22.
    I like my EPIC stable, but I also want the best battery life and quickest device I can get in my hands.

If I had to pick one to live with from here until this ones at End Of Life...I'd stay with Nightly 9 OR 12 after I test if for awhile!

It's been a lot of fun for me over the past year and so far CM7 has my vote as the best!

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Really couldn't be any happier with my Epic thanks to what the CM7 team has brought to these phones. It works the way I want it too. The broken WiMax was the only thing I was missing and now that's fixed. Will happily wait for the Galaxy Nexus before I consider replacement. I just hope Sprint gets LTE to my area fast.
    Windfrenzy likes this.