PC won't recognize Epic 4G after flashing back to stock

TheMissle

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I perused several other threads on this issue and tried some of the more simple suggestions but nothing is helping.

Basically, I was trying to manually upgrade to Gingerbread on my rooted Epic 4G. I read that I needed to flash it back to stock, so I followed these instructions ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...68-how-factory-restore-fix-bricked-phone.html ) with no success because I couldn't get Odin to recognize my phone when plugged in, even after trying the troubleshooting suggestions. The PC would let me access the contents of my SD card when I plugged in my phone, but Odin would not show the green light. There was, however, a message when I plugged in the phone listing 3 or so device/driver related files that installed, but the computer couldn't find/configure the last one called "Android OUM" or something to that effect. I tried uninstalling the Samsung driver and reinstalling it, but that did not help either.

To find a way around using Odin for the time being, I followed instructions on the following video to flash back to stock using Clockwork. How to Unroot your Samsung Epic 4g to install Gingerbread EI22 update - YouTube

It seemed to work and the suggestion made was update using the OTA method. So I did that, downloaded the new OTA Gingerbread update and rebooted to let it install. While doing so, there was an error message. I chose the option to reboot, and once it did, I checked it and of course it was still stuck on FROYO and did not successfully change over to Gingerbread. I tried plugging the phone into my PC and the PC would not recognize my Epic whatsoever now (whereas before I could open the SD card and see the files). I rebooted my phone again (normally), computer, took out SD card & battery, uninstalled/reinstalled driver, etc and nothing has worked. Did I do something wrong? Help please!

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Uninstall the drivers again. Try drivers from a different location. The phone presents itself as a different device in Download Mode (odin), than it does in Debug Mode, than it does in Mass Storage mode (SD). So the computer thinks it's three different devices, for each of those modes. You may need to edit out part of your computers registry to fully remove the old drivers

cerobles1

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Dude, are u using the samsung cable that came with the phone? I always had problems with the one that came with my phone. Buy one off of Ebay for like $3 and they work great. Try different usb port and sifferent computer if u have another one

TheMissle

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the responses. the devices behaving differently makes sense. as for the cord, i've heard people say that sometimes certain computer/phone/cord combos just simply refuse to work together for whatever odd reason, but what baffles me is that i've been using the cord problem-free (and was even using it earlier in the day) and then all the sudden after the changes in the phone, it was not recognizing. it suggests that it's something to do with the update doesn't it?

i tried re-downloading/installing Gingerbread OTA just now and this is the error message it gives:

Updating modem....
script aborted (no error message)E:Error in /cache/a5ff039a0c97.SPH-D700_update_EC05_to_EI22.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Does anyone know what this means or how to fix it so it can properly install? I'm by no means incredibly privy to this kind of stuff, but I suppose you learn through research and experience right? Thanks.

TheMissle

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
no, i STARTED out trying to follow that thread, but when i couldn't get Odin to read my phone, i tried the other method mentioned in the youtube video to flash back to stock. after i did that the computer didn't recognize the phone at all, whereas it seemed to recognize it before the flash-to-stock. once it WAS back to stock, i used the over-the-air update that downloaded to my phone and ran it to install. while it was trying to install, that's when i got the message i listed. any ideas?

TheMissle

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
how/where do i check to make sure ALL of the registry files for the device are cleared out? i'm not familiar with how to do that apart from uninstalling the driver itself.

TheMissle

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
When I went to try that suggestion, it was already in PDA mode. I even tried changing the settings around to see if anything helped. When I switched it to modem the computer said that it found new driver device and successfully installed the driver, but it still wasn't reading it as a mass storage device. So when I switched it back to PDA, that's when I get the error message on my computer that it can't recognize the device. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver software via a download for my phone on samsung's website, restarted both the phone and the computer, still nothing. (Sigh) technology fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad