EL30 OTA -- Updating After Rooting?

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Probably a simple question for those with experience, but I'm still new to rooting and all -- when a new OTA comes out, like Sprint just announced EL30 (Sprint Community: Samsung Epic: Samsung Epic Software Updates), what does a rooted user do? I know the OTA won't push correctly to rooted phones, so we're sort of on our own to get updated. I'm currently using the MostlyStock ROM -- any idea of there will be an update of that I can flash? Is there something else similarly stock-ish that will be updated that I can flash over it? Or can I get by without this update? "Security update" is the only thing I care much about (never noticed speaker feedback issues, and root took care of bloatware), but I've got Android 2.3.5 and I think EI22 was to a lower version than this, so EL30 might just go up to 2.3.5, which I already have. I'm not sure, I don't see an exact version on the Sprint web board. Any advice you can provide would certainly be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea right now. The announcement post I linked to and the discussion thread it links to don't say anything beyond "security update". It would be nice if that were a removal of CarrierIQ, but it could also just be an update to Android in general -- I think it's common for minor updates to include security patches/fixes.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Security update (CIQ)
- Speaker feedback fix
- The QIK and Asphalt 5 applications are no longer preloaded. When opening
the applications using the application icon, you will be redirected to the
Android market to download and install the full application.
* After the QIK install, you will need to login using your original
account information or create a new account. All contacts should remain intact
* After the Asphalt 5 install, previous game play data (eg. levels) will not be retained.
-Compass fix

Last edited:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
No it wasn't in the post, but that's what the XDA devs have found looking at the source code. This would not fix the GPS, probably only the upside down calibration that we used to have to do. I would be though, that the GPS fix is in there somewhere.

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Probably a simple question for those with experience, but I'm still new to rooting and all -- when a new OTA comes out, like Sprint just announced EL30 (Sprint Community: Samsung Epic: Samsung Epic Software Updates), what does a rooted user do?........Any advice you can provide would certainly be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Technically, the OTA will first notify you.....then download to your device......then you get to click 'install' as the OTA is known to keep reminding you to do so over days + even weeks! However, the OTA can not run on a rooted device.
When EI22 hit my device, 3 days after the rollout began, I decided to do the best thing (as a rooted user) and manually update my device.............believe it or not, xda had posted a download for the update (a DELTA zip from EC05 to EI22)............so to answer your question: NO the OTA very likely will NOT install on your ROOTED device.....................so all you can do is wait for the OTA update, and know that an pre-rooted EL30 alternative will likely post on one of these threads allowing you to install EL30 onto your rooted device........................................fyi: xda already has an EL30 kernel posted there! (CLEAN-GB_EL30_Kernel).....so an EL30 modem can not be far off! (As a reminder: that's how we got EC05 + ODIN to begin with, as unofficial contributions to the community by acs guru k0nane. :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: alexveksler

joedig52

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about the OTA update, most of the issues are taken care of already when phone is rooted, but usually devs update their roms shortly after the update rolls out since the source code is usually released prior to the OTA update anyway.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I think rooting did already take care of most of the issues EL30 is supposed to fix, but it still would be nice to get a ROM based on the latest official update. Waiting for developers to update their custom ROMs ought to be easier than attempting to go back to stock to get the OTA and re-root. If the MostlyStock one I'm running now doesn't get updated for EL30, CleanGB might be the next best bet in terms of staying near stock. That is, assuming CleanGB is updated, but given there's something for an EL30 CleanGB kernel already, it seems probable that the ROM will be updated as well. The only other thing I might need then is a way to turn off Sprint's update notices for the OTA push. I think I've read that it can be done, but would have to find/search out how again, unless someone here has a link to it handy. Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep an eye out for more on this topic over the next few weeks.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
If the new EL30 has removed CIQ and the compass fix and speaker feedback issue all fixed, then none of the existing ROMs are exactly the same as EL30. Plus, the ROMs that removed CIQ had to be deodexed so are not really stock. If you want a stock GB with all the fixes and rooted, somebody will have to post a manual update that is prerooted.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Quick update, I have flashed the EL30 update after going back to stock EC05>EI22. Here is what I have observed about EL30 (I have not applied any other fixes nor rooted yet):
-The upside down horizontal calibration for compass is fixed
-Keyboard lag is gone
-GPS not improved, must install the EI22 GPS Fix.zip
-"Android System" service aka CIQ is definitely gone.
-Apparently the speaker bug is gone too.
-The phone call answer display takes some training to get used to (practice it before your first phone call, the pre Text answers are on a slide up screen from the bottom).
-EDIT: Confirmed the QIK and Asphalt apps are links to the actual app only.
-Rooting is a little more involved than before since there is not yet a kernel that stops or gets rid of the install-recovery.sh script, but how to do it is described here: Direct google link to download EL30 update here! - Page 2 - xda-developers EDIT: Toadlife of XDA just posted his CleanKernel_EL30 that keeps you from having to do this step. See instructions posted in how to root GB by Paul627G.

Last edited:

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Quick update, I have flashed the EL30 update after going back to stock EC05>EI22. Here is what I have observed about EL30 (I have not applied any other fixes nor rooted yet):
-The upside down horizontal calibration for compass is fixed
-Keyboard lag is gone
-GPS improved from locking only 4 satellites to 6-7 (the GPS Fix can allow more, upto 12 under best of conditions), so I think this made be good enough, but balancing power for battery consumption.
-"Android System" service aka CIQ is definitely gone.
-Apparently the speaker bug is gone too.
-The phone call answer display takes some training to get used to (practice it before your first phone call, the pre Text answers are on a slide up screen from the bottom).
-Haven't confirmed the changes to QIK nor Asphalt yet.
-Rooting is a little more involved than before since there is not yet a kernel that stops or gets rid of the install-recovery.sh script, but how to do it is described here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1457734&page=2

Toadlife of XDA just posted his CleanKernel_EL30............be sure to hit his Thank You button if he improves your set-up ;)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Toadlife of XDA just posted his CleanKernel_EL30............be sure to hit his Thank You button if he improves your set-up ;)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Can you provide a link? And what does that mean? How do I root EL30 same like EI22 and just use the new kernel to make CWM stick?

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Can you provide a link? And what does that mean? How do I root EL30 same like EI22 and just use the new kernel to make CWM stick?

You can find his thread over at XDA (EPIC4G, the developers forum).........you will have to ODIN back to stock EC05, then run updates up thru EI22, then flash EL30 update.zip.......THEN you ODIN + flash cwm recovery, fr recovery flash su.zip (this gives you root).........FINALLY, download and flash toadlife's kernel.

Hope this helps.

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
This morning, I had a notification that an update was downloaded and I needed to reboot. I rooted just to fix the GPS issue and but have also reset the battery stats and am running ad free.

After the phone rebooted, I got a blue icon and an unhappy red droid on the screen. I was already driving and about 10 mins late for work, so I couldn't mess around with it too much.

I ended up pulling the battery and doing the 3 finger salute and rebooted again. My phone came all the way up.

I am assuming that the update didn't take. What can i check version-wise to see if I got the update? Not really sure where the EL30 part is displayed.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This morning, I had a notification that an update was downloaded and I needed to reboot. I rooted just to fix the GPS issue and but have also reset the battery stats and am running ad free.

After the phone rebooted, I got a blue icon and an unhappy red droid on the screen. I was already driving and about 10 mins late for work, so I couldn't mess around with it too much.

I ended up pulling the battery and doing the 3 finger salute and rebooted again. My phone came all the way up.

I am assuming that the update didn't take. What can i check version-wise to see if I got the update? Not really sure where the EL30 part is displayed.
I doubt it took either.

Check Settings/About Phone

S:700.0.5S.EL30 <-- That is the new EL30 number you need to find. Yours will probably still say EI22

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I hate to be accused of being an android hypochondriac, but it sure seems like this thing is eating the battery big time today. It was 80% before 9:00. I plugged it in to a generic charger here at work and battery spy says it's charging at 0.0% of peak. Like plugged in, it's just keeping up.

I just did a full backup in anticipation of this thing going tits up on me today.

shadeb26

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I have EI22 rooted + CWM (by ACS) and received a notification that EL30 is downloaded and ready to install. Should I just Factory restore back to EC05 and OTA update thru EL30 (stock), then root after running stock EL30? OR... should I be ok by attempting the EL30 OTA update on rooted EI22?

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have EI22 rooted + CWM (by ACS) and received a notification that EL30 is downloaded and ready to install. Should I just Factory restore back to EC05 and OTA update thru EL30 (stock), then root after running stock EL30? OR... should I be ok by attempting the EL30 OTA update on rooted EI22?

That depends on what you want to happen. The first method you described with give you stock rooted EL30. The second will let you stay on your current EI22 setup without the annoying pop-up showing up again. Note that if you decide to do the OTA on your current setup, it will fail, and you'll have to do a battery pull and reboot, but this should stop future update notifications from being displayed.

Alternately, if you want stock, rooted EL30, bbelos has released it: [ROM][CWM][EL30] Stock+Root+Deodexed, though this does not include the EL30 modem unless you update that manually as described in the thread.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463