System apps question(s)...

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I never gave it much thought and sort of not paid close attention but noticed that in CM7 ADW launcher is a system app (I'm assuming for any ROM stock or custom the launcher is a system app). I know the stock messaging app is also a system app. Which got me to thinking. Since I use ADW EX instead I could move it to be a system app. And I'm trying out go sms right now and could make it a system app replacing the stock messaging app. Which lead me to wonder the significance of that. Is the system apps a separate partition? Which would mean more apps can be installed to internal storage. Does android treat system apps different? That is in such a way that it would be more beneficial for certain apps like these to be system apps? And what is the easiest way to go about making app system apps? Titanium root says must have the paid version. I'm not opposed to buying apps but I'm not keen on the price considering how little I use the app. I also found a command line method through google search but that seems like too much work for something that obviously can be done with a single tap in an app.

xiamterencex

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
There's certain system apps you can remove, and certain ones you cannot. You can remove the launcher and sms apps as long as you replace them, but there are also a good amount of apps you shouldn't touch. I know there's a few lists floating around the internet explaining what you can and can't remove, though.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
There's no viable reason to physically replace any of the stock cm7 apps. There's more than enough internal space on MTD and especially if you keep up with the nightlies anything you change would be immediately replaced the next time you flashed a new nightly. Just setting which apps you want as default should be efficient. I don't think there would be any advantage to physically replacing the stock apps.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I figured I'd have to uninstall them each time I update. But since that is only 3 apps it's not a big deal. I was mainly curious if the storage space was the same partition as the user apps or not. It would be a way for me take advantage of more internal storage if it was a separate partition. Basically Including preloaded app I have 123 apps and have about 6 or 8 games moved to SD card, The few apps I was thinking of combine to over 30MB.

if you keep up with the nightlies anything you change would be immediately replaced the next time you flashed a new nightly.

Do you mean that if apps are made system apps then they would get uninstalled when flashing an update? Basically I was thinking ADW EX, firefox, and go sms; but if there is more space in system apps then I could move more. One thing I noticed awhile back, the more app I move to the SD card the slower everything gets kind of like perma-lag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781