Could use some opinions on a new ROM

willmsbrg

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been running the same rom for what seems like forever as it was/is very stable other than the GPS that has never worked with this setup. I didn't need the GPS side as I had a blackberry that covered that just fine. Now I don't have that anymore and would like to get something new running on my Epic with GB.

I'll post what I have currently and see if anyone has viable options along with some links with current how to instructions.

I had the thread in the Epic general side but, after close to 80 views and no comments, thought I would post it here..

Firmware
BaseBand
S: D700.00.55.DK28
Kernal
Build
midNIGHT v2.4EXT4 (Dual)

As you can see it has been a while..

Thanks in advance

xiamterencex

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the CM7 WiMax build is pretty solid, as that's what I've been using consistently for a while now. Also, you got CleanGB, StarskyROM, etc. Just try them out.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Whatever you choose go with a YAFFS2 MTD ROM. Worth it for the stability and ample system storage.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Still rockin the DK28 unofficial release of Froyo! Awesome... Say what you want and I've said this a bunch of times but I think it still was an excellent, never released build.

Packaged up along with MidNight ROM, that brings back some memories :p

willmsbrg

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Indeed, it has been a super stable ROM for a good while and still is very stable.. Using a GB theme and overclocked as well.

That is why I've not been changing my setup for a long time. I'm ready to try something new and wow have things changed.

Let me see if I have this correct..

If I wanted to install CM7 using the new file system, doing so will automatically convert my file system to the YAFFS2 MTD.
If I would at some point want to go back to EXT4, then I would need to ODIN back to stock before going with EXT4 once again correct?

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Indeed, it has been a super stable ROM for a good while and still is very stable.. Using a GB theme and overclocked as well.

That is why I've not been changing my setup for a long time. I'm ready to try something new and wow have things changed.

Let me see if I have this correct..

If I wanted to install CM7 using the new file system, doing so will automatically convert my file system to the YAFFS2 MTD.
If I would at some point want to go back to EXT4, then I would need to ODIN back to stock before going with EXT4 once again correct?

Seeing how you are really outdated with the version of CWM your running and being on DK28 I would recommend Odin to get on EI22 stock/rooted and then from there make the jump to the ROM of your choice.

Once your on MTD my understanding you will have to Odin back to EI22 EXT4 because you can't simply restore a backup or convert back using a conversion script or anything.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
First, you can't "odin" to EI22. Second, if your going to flash a MTD rom going all the way to EI22 is unneccassary. Just flash back to stock EC05, root and flash CWM5.?.?.? And flash the EC05 to (newest available modem) which can be found on XDA-Developers. Wipe data and flash cm7 (or whichever MTD rom your going with) and reinstall apps fresh. To return to stock use odin to flash EC05, with the pit file, with auto reboot and repartition checked then ota or manual update to newest firmware (if that's what your aiming for) or update modem and flash new rom.

Reactions: willmsbrg

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
First, you can't "odin" to EI22. Second, if your going to flash a MTD rom going all the way to EI22 is unneccassary. Just flash back to stock EC05, root and flash CWM5.?.?.? And flash the EC05 to (newest available modem) which can be found on XDA-Developers. Wipe data and flash cm7 (or whichever MTD rom your going with) and reinstall apps fresh. To return to stock use odin to flash EC05, with the pit file, with auto reboot and repartition checked then ota or manual update to newest firmware (if that's what your aiming for) or update modem and flash new rom.

Excuse me, what I meant by Odin back to EI22 EXT4 is a custom stock ROM or another stockish built EI22 ROM based on EXT4. It would be nice if Samsung/Sprint would ever drop the TAR file for EI22 but I don't see that happening.

Bottom line once your on MTD filesystem you can't return to RFS/EXT4 without the use of Odin and flashing back to Froyo EC05 or an EI22 custom ROM minus MTD.

Reactions: willmsbrg

willmsbrg

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay, after playing around and doing ALOT of reading the last several days.. I'm now on a nice fresh new MTD rom EI22 modem and new theme.

I decided to go with Marcusant MTD v3 Rom along with the EI22ICS_2.1_LockMod theme along with the latest CWM version. The Rom is great running smooth thus far. I like the color scheme of the ICS better than the rom color setup.

I was initially using the ACS recovery as opposed to the standard CWM as I liked the features of Rom and Theme wipe, but when flashing the MTD rom it replaced it and will not allow me to re-flash the ACS version. Seems they don't play together at all. Also, when I wanted to flash a new theme for an MTD rom, I had troubles with it actually working, till more reading revealed an additional step involved with flashing a theme to an MTD rom. Now, changing themes is a breeze as well.

All in all, not many Rom/Theme options around it seems with all the new phones out.. Hopefully, more continue to come along...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary