Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Default Re: Step by Step Instructions

Ok that is good to know. Now can you explain to me how to get rid of this kernel I installed? All I am looking for is to have the EL30 with root access.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Default Re: [ROOT][CWM][GUIDE][GINGERBREAD] Rooting the Samsung Epic 4g

You should be able to find and flash the kernel they used on EI22 to fix the keyboard fix and I'm sure they have an updated kernel out now for EL30 that is stockish with the KB fix included.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

With a combination of Paul627g's posts, and qbking77's youtube video, I am up and running and rooted! Thanks everyone for taking the time to teach.
    Now on to trying to figure out how to get rid of all of the Sprint apps that were previously unable to be uninstalled.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    Can anyone help me out with Odin. When I have the phone on it shows up under ID:COM. When I go into download mode it won't show up. I have tired everything. Reinstalled drivers you name it I have done it. Am I screwed?
    I had the same issue and for me it was a cable problem. The cable I was using seemed fine, it was charging the phone ok, and was even good enough for Windows to recognize that I had plugged "something" in though it couldn't identify the device. (that's what gave me my first clue), all the while Odin could not talk to the phone.
    When I switched to the cable that actually came with the phone, as soon as I plugged it in, Windows recognized that I had plugged in a Samsung_Android_whatever which was different then before, and then I booted the phone into download mode and sure enough Odin picked it up.
    Anyway it's a cheap and easy test to see if that resolves it for you.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

Ok, I got my Epic Rooted with this CWM 5.0.2.7. So how do I remove bloatware? The Sprint crap I want out still does not have an uninstall option.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Quote Originally Posted by djraw View Post
    Ok, I got my Epic Rooted with this CWM 5.0.2.7. So how do I remove bloatware? The Sprint crap I want out still does not have an uninstall option.
    You will have to use ES File Explorer (free) or other root access application to go in to

/system/app

Then delete the application you don't want. I recommend making a Nandroid Backup before making any changes so you have a good working copy to restore to in the event of something going wrong.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:
    djraw 

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

Paul, I got ES File explorer app, but it won't let me delete any of the bloatware apks.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Quote Originally Posted by djraw View Post
    Paul, I got ES File explorer app, but it won't let me delete any of the bloatware apks.
    Go into settings inside ES File Explorer and scroll down the main list you will see root options. enable the mount file systems as write. Then you should be able to remove/delete the system/app/ apps.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
    Paul

Thanked by 2:
    djrawksguy 
    djraw and ksguy like this.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

Ok, I got it! Thanks! One question. I just select "Delete" for the bloatware right?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Yes delete.
    Paul

Thanked by:
    djraw 

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

Thanks man!

OK, I'm a little late to jump on the GB Wagon, but I'm ready to grow up and leave my Rooted Froyo(Thanx Paul6276) behind . I got thru most of it(Thanx again PAUL6276) except I'm caught up on updating CWM Recovery. Keep getting Signature Failed errors even w/multiple different D/Ls of the file. I couldnt even put SU on as well. Is it possible to get CWMRomMgr and flash the update from there THEN add SU? or am i screwed? I just wont be happy till I can use the CRT mod.
    Thanx in Advance

WOO-HOO!! Got it!! went against my own better judgement and just installed the new version of CWM Recovery instead of trying to update from 3e. I dont know what happened to the previous version, hope it just overwrote it. There wasn't a warning prompt like normal. Wow!! it does feel so much better when you can figure it out yourself.

I am getting ready to root my phone, as I downloaded all those files and I hit a snag. When I tried to download the su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip file, and the site says that "the page you requested is not available." Any idea what's up with that?

Edit: never mind I tried it again after little while and it worked now.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Ive been trying to root my Epic all day. Still on EL30,I cant get Clockwork on because everytime to go to the download mode,my laptop says it fails to install the driver or that the USB devise has malfunctioned. Ive tried all ports,Ive tried 3 different cables. Ive downloaded drivers. Nothing changes.

This has been so much of a pain in the ***. No where near as simple as it was for me on my Pre
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Quote Originally Posted by Casketman View Post
    Ive been trying to root my Epic all day. Still on EL30,I cant get Clockwork on because everytime to go to the download mode,my laptop says it fails to install the driver or that the USB devise has malfunctioned. Ive tried all ports,Ive tried 3 different cables. Ive downloaded drivers. Nothing changes.

This has been so much of a pain in the ***. No where near as simple as it was for me on my Pre
    Sorry to hear your having difficulties...

Some people have no problems while others have a lot troubles.

I'm going to guess by the amount of troubles your having your running Win 7 or Vista. Windows XP usually is very forgiving and the least amount of trouble. Anyways if you can get to a Windows XP machine it may make life easier, otherwise we can work with what you have.

1. I would first uninstall any and all Samsung drivers from your computer.

2. Reboot your computer afterwards to give it a clean start.

3. Next try plugging in your Epic to your computer and getting it recognized without any drivers installed. You should be able to at least make mass storage/usb storage connection to your device to transfer files with no drivers installed.

4. Once you get that done, now go ahead and install your Samsung drivers.

5. Once you have plugged in your device with USB debugging enable and the device is recognized and any last remaining drivers have installed go ahead and attempt going into Download Mode and connecting via Odin.

Try these steps and see what happens....

I have even heard of people not having any drivers installed at all, making that initial connection in Windows then turning around and booting into Download Mode and Odin recognizing the device. Key point here is getting Odin to recognize to flash the recovery. How you get to that point can vary with the numerous driver recognition problems.

** Don't forget the trouble shoots like removing your battery from your device and connecting via USB cable and then booting into Download Mode.. Sometimes Odin will recognize this way... If so run the process without the battery in your device, when complete pull your cable and pop your battery back in and reboot.

Please report back with your results.
    Paul

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

That worked finally. The Samsung interface driver failed tho this time around but the driver I needed to work in download mode did load.

Can I use Amon Ra instead of CWM
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Quote Originally Posted by tiredoflove View Post
    Can I use Amon Ra instead of CWM
    I don't believe Amon Ra is a supported custom recovery for the Samsung Epic 4g.
    Paul

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

I'm assuming the steps to root EI22/EL30 are exactly the same for rooting FC09? No different files kernel wise? I was thinking about flashing the stock EL30 tar then updating with FC09, after which, root.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    I'm assuming the steps to root EI22/EL30 are exactly the same for rooting FC09? No different files kernel wise? I was thinking about flashing the stock EL30 tar then updating with FC09, after which, root.
    Yes I would imagine it's all the same since FC09 was just a bug fix.
    Paul

Thank you very much for these step by step instructions. I've been working my way through them and I have a question which I have not seen addressed.

Following the link to the Kernel-GB-3 post, I notice that at the bottom of the post there are two links:

kernel-GB-3a-patches.tar - [Click for QR Code] (70.0 KB, 933 views)
    kernel-GB-3a.tar - [Click for QR Code] (4.95 MB, 2952 views)

After reading the post, I'm still not clear on whether the patches are incorporated into the kernel-GB-3a.tar file or whether they need to be installed separately. Could you please clarify? Thanks again for your help with this. I really appreciate it!

may i ask u guys how can i root my galaxy mini.i search in a lot of site but still i dont have it.

I tried this step-by-step, and the Odin - kernel-GB-3a.tar.md5 failed

The phone acted funny, and gave a phone-!-computer symbol...since I didn't know what to do, I used Odin - and cwm-5.0.2.7-epic4g.tar.md5. This was successful, but I believe the phone reverted back to Gingerbread.EL30.

The model=SPH-D700
    firmware=2.3.6
    Kernel 2.6.35.7
    hardware=D700.0.5

Any ideas why that failed...when I went to the page to retrieve the kernel-GB-3.tar.md5, it was named: kernel-GB-3a.tar.md5 instead. I figured that was an update -- correct?

Please let me know. Really wanna root, so I can run SD Maid, and a few other things with root access

P.S. I can no longer connect to my computer and file transfer. I think that Samsung did that; not sure whether it was on purpose or not.

Gosh. Been a member for 6 seconds already. Seems like only 3.

I thought I had this all figured out before I started, but now there's a glitch. Today at lunch I flashed CM9. All the stock stuff seems to work; however, now I'm wondering how to restore my Google account, apps, settings, Market history, phone contacts, etc.

I used QBKing77 video to root and flash. Started with Odin, then Clockwork, then CM9, then gapps. After rooting I used Titanium Backup and backed up again in CWM during the flash process. I have Play Store (market) but it does not recognize me. How do I recover/restore selected apps from my backups?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast