Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Default Re: [ROOT][CWM][GUIDE][GINGERBREAD] Rooting the Samsung Epic 4g

Quote Originally Posted by dchall8 View Post
    Gosh. Been a member for 6 seconds already. Seems like only 3.

I thought I had this all figured out before I started, but now there's a glitch. Today at lunch I flashed CM9. All the stock stuff seems to work; however, now I'm wondering how to restore my Google account, apps, settings, Market history, phone contacts, etc.

I used QBKing77 video to root and flash. Started with Odin, then Clockwork, then CM9, then gapps. After rooting I used Titanium Backup and backed up again in CWM during the flash process. I have Play Store (market) but it does not recognize me. How do I recover/restore selected apps from my backups?
    take this with a grain of salt as I'm certainly not an android expert.

as for your apps. once you login to gmail and the appstore your phone should recognize you. all your settings will need to be manually reset. your apps should not be restored from the backup you made. since you're upgrading to a new version of android all the old app settings are incompatible. you should have used appbak (free in the market) to list all the apps you downloaded and then you redownload them in google playstore.

there was another app you should have run if you wanted to save your SMS. once you login to gmail and google play the cloud should sync your contacts and calendar.

Default Re: [ROOT][CWM][GUIDE][GINGERBREAD] Rooting the Samsung Epic 4g

soooo... now that im rooted i can just download the wifi tethering app for root users from the google play right? the one with the yellow symbol? and not get charged? this is only my third rooted phone and all have been with different manufacturers (LG, HTC, and now Samsung) thanks!

Default Re: Step by Step Instructions

woot, thanks for this wonderful walkthrough. I'm finally off the stock rom and on to cyanogenmod 10!! thanks a bunch!!

Hey! I know I am fairly far behind the times, had my epic since it came out and I am just now wanting to root it! Any way, I cannot find the correct .tar file for Odin ANYWHERE!!! It is driving me insane! If some one could help me out that would be amazing. I have the Samsung Epic 4g running FC09. Thanks!

links are dead also looking for the files anyhelp greatly appreciated

I know this is an older phone now, but I just got one in really nice shape off ebay and I want to root it so I can either A) remove the bloatware it comes with and add different sounds to be chosen for notifications or B) install a custom ROM without maps, facebook, nav, TV etc. I was going to follow the video guide at the start of the thread till I opened ODIN and realized it was a .exe program and I'm running Linux. So I was going to follow this guide [LINUX GUIDE for NOOBS] Rooting, Unlocking, Locking and Flashing and then realized it's for a Nexus and I do have the Epic 4G from Sprint. So, now I'm not sure what all I need. In the other guide I've gotten through the part on using ADB to see if it will recognize my phone and it does, but it's an Epic so I don't want to put any of those files on. What files do I need to put a nice clean ROM or one that will let me do more? I DID root this phone with FRAMAROOT and according to root checker pro it is rooted, but it still won't let me delete bloatware and I still can't put sounds so they show up where I want. I'm happy enough with Gingerbread.FC09, except I can't make it do what I want. I've looked at some threads at [ROM][CWM][EL30] Stock+Root+Deodexed - xda-developers, but I don't know what deodexed means, I don't know if it's MTD (and I don't know what that means). I don't want something to update nightly, just nice stable system minus bloatware. I kind of think doing my HTC Evo was a bit easier, I put everything on a SD card and went from there, but that's been a bit ago. So do I need a new ROM? or is it not properly rooted (SU is installed) because I can't delete stuff or add stuff. Where have I gone amuck and what do I need to do and what do I need to do it? Thank you!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123