FAQ about Rooting the Epic 4g Q. Is this the same method as EI22 Gingerbread?
First I want to let it be known this is a gathering of information from various sources. I claim no credit to any of this nor does Android Central. We are just putting together a helpful guide to rooting your Samsung Epic 4g using the resources and information from those who make it all possible.. The developers.
A. Yes its the same method used currently to root EL30. Once done you can move onward to any new EL30 kernels or flash to custom EL30 based ROMs. Q. What is rooting going to do for me?
A. In short, if you have come this far you probably have a general idea of what it will do. It will allow you to unlock areas of your device otherwise locked by default from Google/manufacture & carriers. Once it is applied you can flash custom ROMs (stock OS modified), kernels, themes and other modifications. Other well known options are free wireless tethering using your device and also bloatware removal. Q. Does it void my warranty?
A. Yes, Samsung & Sprint's stance on this is still unchanged. If you bring in a device for warranty/service/repair to your local Sprint store or authorized Sprint retailer they have the option to refuse warranty/service/repair of the device. Best option is to return to factory stock form before attempting.
Q. Can I return to factory stock?
A. Yes. We have another thread for this. It will leave your device looking as if it was never rooted and it can be warrantied/repaired/services/sold with no signs of rooting. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...] Q. I hear about bricking your device during the rooting process, does this happen often?
A. No, if you follow the directions and are ever unsure of something before proceeding forward stop, read, post, ask & wait for an answer before continuing. The program used to get you rooted is called Odin. Odin has been known from time to time to cause a brick here and there but 99% of the time it is of user fault and not Odin. The other 1% of the time something unforeseen does happen and has caused a true brick. This is why you must understand, as stated above this is voiding your warranty and you do this at your own risk. Q. What programs are used in rooting?
A. Odin & ClockWorkMod (CWM). Odin is a program leaked out long ago by Samsung to my understanding and is used to "flash" the OS or ROMs, kernels & radio (modem) to the device. CWM, is a custom built recovery that is used to flash/install ROMs/kernels/themes/mods. It also has other options like making a Nandroid Backup (Backup of your system in the event of ROM failure or you want to return to a previous setup).
Q. I hear there used to be a "OneClickRoot" is this still available?
A. Not for Gingerbread. Google has gone in and since patched the various exploits used in previous Eclair & Froyo OS's to allow use of these simple, OneClickRoot applications. They will not return as Google has done a very good job of closing up all the exploits. Only known way now is using Odin to flash the custom CWM recovery to your device and then flashing a custom kernel along with flashing a Superuser (Root Access) zip file in CWM.