Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Default Re: CM9: CyanogenMod v 9.0.0-RCO-EpicMTD-KANG Released!!!!

As far as I understand I need to flash the cm9 and the gapps zip. But what about a modem? I keep on reading things about updating the modem. I'm not even sure what is the modem. Do I need to know something about the modem or will it come with the cm9 file. Also does the cm9 file give me a kernel or do I need to do that manually as well? Thanx!

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TouchWiz

Yes you need to flash CM9 and then immediately flash the GApps zip. CM9 will convert your system to MTD, it will use whatever modem you have installed at that time. Once you are on MTD you will have to use the workaround to boot a BML system from the SD card to change your modem. Folks have had success with both the EI22 and the EL30 modems. I am personally running EL30.

CM9 comes with a kernel as part of the flash. there is a Shadow OC kernel available over at XDA, however I would not even mess with that until we are out of the beta stages. This entire ROM is still Alpha, and the devs recommend that folks use the provided set-up.
    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.

Looks like it's a great time to be an Epic owner. Gotta love CM9
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

ROM
    CM│9.1.0

El30 allowed data connection at a known dead zone (zero data at same location sev years).........but, that's me, every device behaves differently.
    From CM9, you may use any of the deltas w/out having to use ODIN --EI22 to EL30.zip, for example-- using wtogami's [RECOVERY][BML][MTD]CWM BML from SDCard, NO FLASH .........(go to XDA development for dl/instructions).........when done, this reboots you back to CM9. Or else, from your current rooted-Stock BML ROM, you may use a delta zip --EC05 to EI22.zip, etc up the chain to EL30, for example) + THEN flash CM9 right on top, converting over to MTD............always backup your data + make a Nandroid, prior to flashing.......especially with firmware changes to your system.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Don't forget to CLICK THANK YOU IF SOMEONE WAS HELPFUL IN ENHANCING YOUR DEVICE!

When you flash with cwm, cm9 do you right away flash gapps? Or do you need to reboot the phone in between?

Normally you flash the gapps right after the ROM before you boot for the first time...
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:
    adlebo 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

ROM
    CM│9.1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Normally you flash the gapps right after the ROM before you boot for the first time...
    .........and, to build on this technique: if you had it in mind to ALSO flash a custom kernel (let's use 'ShadowKernel_CM9' as our example) the process is thus:

From Recovery:
    1. create nandroid
    2. optional: wipe cache, wipe dalvik-cache
    3. flash CM9 zip
    4. DO NOT BOOT
    5. flash gapps zip
    6. DO NOT BOOT
    7. flash ShadowKernel (case example)
    8. BOOT TO SYSTEM
    9. ?
    10. profit

Yes, as stated on CM9 Install Guide, one must always re-flash gapps after every time flashing CM9 (updates + Weeklies, included). Hope this helps.

*edit = fyi, when flashing ShadowKernel, after the cycle completes, the dev bbelos delivers this language: 'kernel flash is complete, now wipe dalvik + cache then boot to system' ...................this is AFTER you have flashed the kernel in recovery PRIOR to booting to system.
    Last edited by sonarchist; 02-04-2012 at 12:57 AM.
    Don't forget to CLICK THANK YOU IF SOMEONE WAS HELPFUL IN ENHANCING YOUR DEVICE!
    Thanked by 2:
    adleboShaLea 

Quote Originally Posted by sonarchist View Post

Yes, as stated on CM9 Install Guide, one must always re-flash gapps after every time flashing CM9 (updates + Weeklies, included). Hope this helps.
    Thanks everyone, This is becoming my favorite thread on the forums! Now...Are weeklies like nightlys?!? Plus when updating to an updated version of cm9 eventually, will we have to clear all our data again?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

ROM
    CM│9.1.0

Quote Originally Posted by adlebo View Post
    Thanks everyone, This is becoming my favorite thread on the forums! Now...Are weeklies like nightlys?!? Plus when updating to an updated version of cm9 eventually, will we have to clear all our data again?
    Yes, and no. Wipe cache + Dalvik only, NOT data, w/ CM9 Weeklies.
    (Edit: wiping prior to flashing is your option, as a safeguard.....flashing theoretically clears cache + data as a matter of course).
    Last edited by sonarchist; 02-02-2012 at 10:10 PM.

ROM
    CM09/2.6.35.7

This is awesome! The only problem I'm having is connecting my bluetooth in my car. It pairs but only connects the media on my phone. Doesn't say Epic and says no phone is connected.

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TouchWiz

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Doo View Post
    This is awesome! The only problem I'm having is connecting my bluetooth in my car. It pairs but only connects the media on my phone. Doesn't say Epic and says no phone is connected.
    I had this same issue in my car, I just deleted the registered phone and re-sync'd to my car, is now working great.
    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

I'm running alpha1 with the ShadowKernel. It's awesome, I didn't think I'd be getting ICS on my Epic this soon (or ever).

There is an odd bug in the ShadowKernel I'm seeing where there is a green tint on the screen when I turn the screen on. It sounds like it may be something with Voodoo Color and the screen brightness. Anyone seeing this or have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by rockets95 View Post
    I'm running alpha1 with the ShadowKernel. It's awesome, I didn't think I'd be getting ICS on my Epic this soon (or ever).

There is an odd bug in the ShadowKernel I'm seeing where there is a green tint on the screen when I turn the screen on. It sounds like it may be something with Voodoo Color and the screen brightness. Anyone seeing this or have any suggestions on how to fix this?
    I don't believe this is related to the kernel specifically. This is something in ICS that we have been dealing with on the Nexus S 4g. Its something the kernel devs have almost completely eliminated it. Give them a little time and I'm sure they will get it eliminated.
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

Why is this thread titled RC0, when it's an alpha release? Am I missing a build?

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TouchWiz

No it is just got titled incorrectly. Maybe one of the Mods can fix this?

CM9 is currently @ Alpha v1 as seen here

Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    No it is just got titled incorrectly. Maybe one of the Mods can fix this?

CM9 is currently @ Alpha v1 as seen here

@ OP (sonarchist) and all...

I updated the thread title to reflect the current version and also added the " [ ] " brackets so its found in search's a little easier.

Enjoy
    Paul

Thanked by 2:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

ROM
    CM│9.1.0

@ OP (sonarchist) and all...

I updated the thread title to reflect the current version and also added the " [ ] " brackets so its found in search's a little easier.

Enjoy
    Paul, we were hoping we could count on you..........Thank You!

When I first posted this thread the description of the ROM build that I had just downloaded and was currently running was clearly stated on 'About Phone' + described the build with the language, 'RCO,' (just look at the fourth screen shot --About Phone-- that I attached to my second post). However, the download file itself is aptly titled 'Alpha-0'...........the update information for Alpha-1 has changed, now the description in About Phone lists the build as a 'Nightly', interesting stuff, yes?

I will continue to change the builds on the OP as these become manifest on the CM9 site.

Not a problem... Glad to help out.

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk
    Paul

I used TiB to restore certain critical apps and data (e.g. Angry Birds, Touchdown) from prior ROM backups, and it worked fine for me. TiB is the only backup program that I know of that allows data restore.

The green tint is in fact definitely voodoo color related. It's already been confirmed. The ROM is only called an alpha on a technicality, because "cm9" is currently an alpha on "all" devices because fixes and functionalities that CM itself usually has haven't been integrated/merged yet. So technically speaking this is in fact on status for being called a "release candidate" based on the minimal bugs list and overall ability to be a daily driver.

Thanked by:
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

ROM
    CM│9.1.0

I don't believe this is related to the kernel specifically. This is something in ICS that we have been dealing with on the Nexus S 4g. Its something the kernel devs have almost completely eliminated it. Give them a little time and I'm sure they will get it eliminated.
    I have not seen green tint on either Shadow, nor Shuriken while running CM9............but once in a while this would happen w/ Samurai (on CM7) when overclocking/undervolting.................I have yet to get green tint running the CM9 stock kernel (back again after testing a few themes and a few kernels in the length of a few days ...................since this is ICS related we will have to keep searching for clues as to how to eliminate it, short of having to reflash the kernel (which is easy enough to do, but not a real 'fix'.)

In the words of ShadowKernel dev bbelos: "the green tint is usually related to Voodoo Color due to screen brightness and too low of gamma value..." ............. IOW, the surrounding light conditions may have an effect.

ROM
    CM09/2.6.35.7

Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    I had this same issue in my car, I just deleted the registered phone and re-sync'd to my car, is now working great.
    Butters3605, I resetted my system in the car and re-paired the phone but I get the same thing. Only the Media is showing. I get a msg "No phone is inserted or connected".
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

ROM
    CM│9.1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Doo View Post
    Butters3605, I resetted my system in the car and re-paired the phone but I get the same thing. Only the Media is showing. I get a msg "No phone is inserted or connected".
    Don't know if this will help w/ this issue.........................but you may want to try ShadowKernel_CM9, it includes Dock Audio Support for this:
    https://market.android.com/details?i...ockredir&hl=en
    Last edited by sonarchist; 02-04-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CM09/2.6.35.7

Quote Originally Posted by sonarchist View Post
    Don't know if this will help w/ this issue.........................but you may want to try ShadowKernel_CM9, it includes Dock Audio Support for this:
    https://market.android.com/details?i...ockredir&hl=en
    Thank you sonarchist. It worked just fine.
    Last edited by Robbie Doo; 02-04-2012 at 02:09 PM.

ROM
    CM09/2.6.35.7

Default Re: [ROM][EPIC 4G][CM9] CM9: CyanogenMod v 9.0.0-Alpha 1

One inquiry though, the ICS doesn't offer swype?
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast