[ROM][EPIC 4G][CM9] CM9: CyanogenMod v 9.1.0 -Stable

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: CM9: CyanogenMod v 9.0.0-RCO-EpicMTD-KANG Released!!!!

before going to cm9 from stock rooted el30...how am I going to restore my apps and data? Or can i? I have titanium, should I use that? As far as I understood you shouldn't restore any data, so does that mean there is no way I can, lets say, retain my angry birds data etc.?

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
before going to cm9 from stock rooted el30...how am I going to restore my apps and data? Or can i? I have titanium, should I use that? As far as I understood you shouldn't restore any data, so does that mean there is no way I can, lets say, retain my angry birds data etc.?

The CM9 Install Guide (Link on OP) advices you to dl Appbak from the Market.......you can then backup all your apps there.......from bootup to CM9, you can use Appbak to reinstall TiB, then reinstall your apps from TiB as an alternative..........can not promise if your AB settings will migrate with this install.........so remember to grab a good clean Nandroid of your current set-up in case you choose to go back to stock.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

I know this is an Alpha build, but is anyone else seeing less than stellar battery life with this ROM? Any tips on increasing it?

Last night I left my phone off the charger with WiFi on - lost 66% battery life over night. On Gingerbread ROMs I would lose 5% over the same time period.

Thanks.

I am using Juice Defender Plus, I can easily get 15-18 hours of standby time with radios turned off when the screen is off. So far my Google apps like Calendar, Gmail, and Google Voice (VVM/SMS) push without issue. I really don't need any background data running when I am not actually using my phone. However it is set to ping every so often to allow apps to pull in data.

I have it set-up to turn off wifi when the screen is off as well.

I am using Juice Plotter to get approximate standby times and battery usage stats.

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

In CM9, try navigating: settings / wireless & networks / more / Tethering & portable hotspot ..............connects quickly, + works flawlessly: good strong connection.

Thanks, I was looking for an app!! I have not tested it out yet, but it started just fine!! :)

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site

As far as I understand I need to flash the cm9 and the gapps zip. But what about a modem? I keep on reading things about updating the modem. I'm not even sure what is the modem. Do I need to know something about the modem or will it come with the cm9 file. Also does the cm9 file give me a kernel or do I need to do that manually as well? Thanx!

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

Yes you need to flash CM9 and then immediately flash the GApps zip. CM9 will convert your system to MTD, it will use whatever modem you have installed at that time. Once you are on MTD you will have to use the workaround to boot a BML system from the SD card to change your modem. Folks have had success with both the EI22 and the EL30 modems. I am personally running EL30.

CM9 comes with a kernel as part of the flash. there is a Shadow OC kernel available over at XDA, however I would not even mess with that until we are out of the beta stages. This entire ROM is still Alpha, and the devs recommend that folks use the provided set-up.

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
El30 allowed data connection at a known dead zone (zero data at same location sev years).........but, that's me, every device behaves differently.
From CM9, you may use any of the deltas w/out having to use ODIN --EI22 to EL30.zip, for example-- using wtogami's [RECOVERY][BML][MTD]CWM BML from SDCard, NO FLASH .........(go to XDA development for dl/instructions).........when done, this reboots you back to CM9. Or else, from your current rooted-Stock BML ROM, you may use a delta zip --EC05 to EI22.zip, etc up the chain to EL30, for example) + THEN flash CM9 right on top, converting over to MTD............always backup your data + make a Nandroid, prior to flashing.......especially with firmware changes to your system.

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site

When you flash with cwm, cm9 do you right away flash gapps? Or do you need to reboot the phone in between?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Normally you flash the gapps right after the ROM before you boot for the first time...

Reactions: adlebo

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

Normally you flash the gapps right after the ROM before you boot for the first time...

.........and, to build on this technique: if you had it in mind to ALSO flash a custom kernel (let's use 'ShadowKernel_CM9' as our example) the process is thus:

From Recovery:
1. create nandroid
2. optional: wipe cache, wipe dalvik-cache
3. flash CM9 zip
4. DO NOT BOOT
5. flash gapps zip
6. DO NOT BOOT
7. flash ShadowKernel (case example)
8. BOOT TO SYSTEM
9. ?
10. profit

Yes, as stated on CM9 Install Guide, one must always re-flash gapps after every time flashing CM9 (updates + Weeklies, included). Hope this helps.

*edit = fyi, when flashing ShadowKernel, after the cycle completes, the dev bbelos delivers this language: 'kernel flash is complete, now wipe dalvik + cache then boot to system' ...................this is AFTER you have flashed the kernel in recovery PRIOR to booting to system.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaLea and adlebo

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site

Yes, as stated on CM9 Install Guide, one must always re-flash gapps after every time flashing CM9 (updates + Weeklies, included). Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone, This is becoming my favorite thread on the forums! Now...Are weeklies like nightlys?!? Plus when updating to an updated version of cm9 eventually, will we have to clear all our data again?

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone, This is becoming my favorite thread on the forums! Now...Are weeklies like nightlys?!? Plus when updating to an updated version of cm9 eventually, will we have to clear all our data again?

Yes, and no. Wipe cache + Dalvik only, NOT data, w/ CM9 Weeklies.
(Edit: wiping prior to flashing is your option, as a safeguard.....flashing theoretically clears cache + data as a matter of course).

Last edited:

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

This is awesome! The only problem I'm having is connecting my bluetooth in my car. It pairs but only connects the media on my phone. Doesn't say Epic and says no phone is connected.

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

This is awesome! The only problem I'm having is connecting my bluetooth in my car. It pairs but only connects the media on my phone. Doesn't say Epic and says no phone is connected.

I had this same issue in my car, I just deleted the registered phone and re-sync'd to my car, is now working great.

Reactions: Robbie Doo

rockets95

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

I'm running alpha1 with the ShadowKernel. It's awesome, I didn't think I'd be getting ICS on my Epic this soon (or ever).

There is an odd bug in the ShadowKernel I'm seeing where there is a green tint on the screen when I turn the screen on. It sounds like it may be something with Voodoo Color and the screen brightness. Anyone seeing this or have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I'm running alpha1 with the ShadowKernel. It's awesome, I didn't think I'd be getting ICS on my Epic this soon (or ever).

There is an odd bug in the ShadowKernel I'm seeing where there is a green tint on the screen when I turn the screen on. It sounds like it may be something with Voodoo Color and the screen brightness. Anyone seeing this or have any suggestions on how to fix this?

I don't believe this is related to the kernel specifically. This is something in ICS that we have been dealing with on the Nexus S 4g. Its something the kernel devs have almost completely eliminated it. Give them a little time and I'm sure they will get it eliminated.

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Why is this thread titled RC0, when it's an alpha release? Am I missing a build?

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

No it is just got titled incorrectly. Maybe one of the Mods can fix this?

CM9 is currently @ Alpha v1 as seen here

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek