[ROM][EPIC 4G][CM9] CM9: CyanogenMod v 9.1.0 -Stable

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
As CM9 is an alpha build, the Issue Tracker would be a great place to communicate your device's reluctance to respond to the workaround fix...............even though an entry is marked 'Done' note the active conversation btwn the dev + several users still working out the problem..............Apex is very similar to Nova, and as an alpha build, still being actively tested...........similar features, but am appreciating Apex this morning ;)

sent via...::CM9/EPIC::...

TCD

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: [ROM][EPIC 4G][CM9] CM9: CyanogenMod v 9.0.0-Alpha 5

@Robbie Doo - @rockets95

I have yet to have battery issues with CM9a5, had a few with CM7 nightlies that weren't deal breakers for me. Yesterday I was away from charger for 16 hours, about 4 of that was running wifi tether. I sync 4 e-mail accounts, g+, and spend an exorbitant amount of time talking on the phone with various entities. Had about 20% battery left when I returned home on original stock battery.

I will say that I completely drain my battery at least once a week, which is an old habit picked up with NiCads. I did condition the battery when I first purchased the phone, and actively recondition quarterly. My battery is 20 months old, and if anything lasts longer now than it did when I first picked up the phone.

Screen rotation - I wound up after trying known workarounds and recalibrating in EL30 mod, just turning off the auto rotation switch. For me this actually is perfect because the only time I really want to be in landscape mode is when the keyboard is open. Pretty much drives me nuts when the rotation changes while dialing a number and changes what number I'm hitting, I ran the same way stock for the same reason.

Reactions: sonarchist

Edfunkycold

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions and help along the way. I have the "toggle orientation" in my notification bar and I toggle it every once and a while to see if it will magically work. Unfortunately, no luck yet.

I also switched over to Nova Launcher last week (which I really prefer for several reasons, definitely worth the $$), but I haven't seen any changes in behavior when enabling auto-rotation there.

There are a few entries opened for this in the CM9 Issues Tracker, but they are all either closed or marked invalid. Hopefully there are still developers working on this issue. Even with that, CM9 is by far the best ROM I've ever run on my phone. I'll deal with a few small issues to be able to run ICS.
The issue is you went to stock bml and calibrated, you need to calibrate while on an mtd tw rom and do it 3 or 4 times make sure its rotating then go to cm9. If you do it on a bml partition when it converts to mtd that's where the problem lies in. Clean GB mtd should work just fine.

Sent from my MTD Epic 4G SGS using Tapatalk

Reactions: sonarchist

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Good call Edfunkycold............hands down, end of this 48 hr auto-rotation mystery lol...........tons of development + activity these past few months, the EPIC in veritable expansion mode: a very good place to be :) ................looking fwd to even newer vistas! (+ even newer fixes!) ;) ...........thnx again!

***edit: 1 more = from menu / system settings / settings / accessibility / auto-rotate ............just 4 good measure :)

sent via...::CM9/EPIC::...

Last edited:

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing problems with wifi-tether. I have not been able to get this to work since i upgraded to CM9. I don't really care that much as my company gave me a wifi LTE hotspot from verizon which i abuse (BADLY).

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Well, I still am unable to get the auto rotate to work properly. I just went through and did the following:
1) Wipe everything and Odin back to stock EL30. Went into settings -> display -> horizontal calibration and calibrated properly.
2) Wipe everything and install CM9 alpha5
3) Booted up and turned on auto rotate under display and launcher. This still did not fix the auto-rotate issue.
4) Soft boot into EL30 and calibrate again.
5) Boot into CM9, turn both auto-rotate settings on and off a few times. When I finally turned them both on, this still did not work.

I'm running out of ideas here. I did verify that when I'm booted in EL30 the auto rotate does work properly. It's just when I'm booted in CM9 that it will not work. I know these steps have worked for others, but not me for some reason. Any suggestions?

Rocket - Did you make sure the auto rotate was checked in the Nova launcher settings? I say this because I was having same problem as you and used the multiboot method go back to stock. I did that and then reset everything like you did but when I rebooted back into CM9 it still couldn't get phone to auto-rotate. I even posted this on the CM9 blog. A little while later I was using an app and I rotated the phone ready to open the keyboard and hit toggle when out of nowehere the screen rotated. Tried it on other apps and worked but not on main screen. It was then I realized I not check Nova settings. Once I did all was good with auto rotate.

Just a thought.

TH

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Hoping someone can help me out here with what appeared to be very unusual issue. Wanted to search XDA but search button has disappeared so thought I'd ask here given I not have enough posts to ask in CM9 thread on XDA. Anyway, I can't get voice-to-text to work in any texting or e-mail application that I have installed. The weird thing is that google voice search works fine. When I am trying to do text or e-mail the stock keyboard doesn't have a microphone icon on the keyboard and on the one keyboard that has a microphone when I hit it nothing happens. I have tried everything including installing google voice search and also instaling the TTsService.apk after I saw it was not installed and one source said this could be the problem. However, when I tried to install this apk the installation failed. Does anyone have any ideas? I really think I am overlooking something very simple as I don't see any evidence anyone else running CM9 is having this issue. Not one mention on the CM9 wiki or CM9 status page. Clearly, then, it has to be something I am not doing right.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

TH

Edfunkycold

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Hoping someone can help me out here with what appeared to be very unusual issue. Wanted to search XDA but search button has disappeared so thought I'd ask here given I not have enough posts to ask in CM9 thread on XDA. Anyway, I can't get voice-to-text to work in any texting or e-mail application that I have installed. The weird thing is that google voice search works fine. When I am trying to do text or e-mail the stock keyboard doesn't have a microphone icon on the keyboard and on the one keyboard that has a microphone when I hit it nothing happens. I have tried everything including installing google voice search and also instaling the TTsService.apk after I saw it was not installed and one source said this could be the problem. However, when I tried to install this apk the installation failed. Does anyone have any ideas? I really think I am overlooking something very simple as I don't see any evidence anyone else running CM9 is having this issue. Not one mention on the CM9 wiki or CM9 status page. Clearly, then, it has to be something I am not doing right.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

TH

The standard keyboard most certainly does have the microphone key. Check your keyboard settings also try downloading the latest voice search app from Google.
See it right next to space bar...
6b29786d-39f1-324d.jpg

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

@TH,

In addition to the previous post, here's more input for your consideration; As you don't mention Swype, am assuming you're not a user, so disregard my references........... here's what happens from the CM9 screen:
You select 'Magnifying Glass' icon (lower/right lit-up soft-key, aka: capacitive kb), this opens screen keyboard + a small keyboard icon appears on left inside notifications bar.....slide pull-down + touch 'Select input method' to open window w/ three options: 1. "English (US) android keyboard; 2. 'Google voice typing;' 3. 'Swype' (in my case).
.........by selecting 'Google voice typing' the active Microphone window should open, ready for use.
.........by selecting 'English' the android keyboard w/ the microphone icon mentioned by Edfunkycold in previous post should open.
.........last is Swype option (will seekText-to-type for Swype, had not previously considered this).
.........in all three instances, your Google search bar beneath the notifications bar should have a microphone (voice search icon) to right of bar, ready for search.

"I can't get voice-to-text to work in any texting or e-mail application that I have installed." In addition to the above, Google voice-to-text is working fine for me on Gmail; if you find an answer, let us know if this feature can be added to the stock SMS app from gapps (or some other way.)

Last edited:

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Guys,
Hopefully you can help me out. I am going to root my gfs Epic and I was wondering if this Rom can
be a daily driver for her? Or should I want until Alpha6.

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Guys,
Hopefully you can help me out. I am going to root my gfs Epic and I was wondering if this Rom can
be a daily driver for her? Or should I want until Alpha6.

IMNSHO - Absolutely. I have been using it non-stop since I flashed it and other than a few minor issues it is the best ROM I have ever had on my EPIC.

Reactions: skinneejay

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

From the Cyanogenmod Epic 4G Blogspot, a synopsis of the not so well documented --until now-- 'Disappearing SD Media Issue'..........................w/ Thanks to EPIC CM Team member mkasick for his awesome insights!

Cyanogenmod Epic 4G: March 2012

OATDN............anybody here switch over to the FB15 Modem? Any personal views?...........am getting terrific connectivity from my geographic area, though it seems this may not be universal.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

IMNSHO - Absolutely. I have been using it non-stop since I flashed it and other than a few minor issues it is the best ROM I have ever had on my EPIC.

Thanks. I guess I will be updating her tonight. I have been using ICS for a while now on my Nexus S 4g
and she loves it. It will be like having a new phone for her.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

From the Cyanogenmod Epic 4G Blogspot, a synopsis of the not so well documented --until now-- 'Disappearing SD Media Issue'..........................w/ Thanks to EPIC CM Team member mkasick for his awesome insights!

Cyanogenmod Epic 4G: March 2012

OATDN............anybody here switch over to the FB15 Modem? Any personal views?...........am getting terrific connectivity from my geographic area, though it seems this may not be universal.

Where can I get this FB15 modem?? I get horrible connectivity with EL30 so I'd def like to try this out!

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

The standard keyboard most certainly does have the microphone key. Check your keyboard settings also try downloading the latest voice search app from Google.
See it right next to space bar...
Click to view quoted image

Strange. I have an entirely different standard keyboard on my CM9. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I didn't re-flash the Google apps after I went from Alpha 4 to Alpha 5.

@TH,

In addition to the previous post, here's more input for your consideration; As you don't mention Swype, am assuming you're not a user, so disregard my references........... here's what happens from the CM9 screen:
You select 'Magnifying Glass' icon (lower/right lit-up soft-key, aka: capacitive kb), this opens screen keyboard + a small keyboard icon appears on left inside notifications bar.....slide pull-down + touch 'Select input method' to open window w/ three options: 1. "English (US) android keyboard; 2. 'Google voice typing;' 3. 'Swype' (in my case).
.........by selecting 'Google voice typing' the active Microphone window should open, ready for use.
.........by selecting 'English' the android keyboard w/ the microphone icon mentioned by Edfunkycold in previous post should open.
.........last is Swype option (will seekText-to-type for Swype, had not previously considered this).
.........in all three instances, your Google search bar beneath the notifications bar should have a microphone (voice search icon) to right of bar, ready for search.

"I can't get voice-to-text to work in any texting or e-mail application that I have installed." In addition to the above, Google voice-to-text is working fine for me on Gmail; if you find an answer, let us know if this feature can be added to the stock SMS app from gapps (or some other way.)

You are correct that I do not have Swype installed. Nor do I see and option for Google voice typing on the pull down menu. Yet doing a voice search with Google works fine. Think I will wait for Alpha 6 to be released and wipe completely before upgrading and see where that takes me.

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

Where can I get this FB15 modem?? I get horrible connectivity with EL30 so I'd def like to try this out!

FB15 Modem is Here:
Samsung Epic 4g FB15 TAR

1. Always create a NANDROID first
2. ___To install alternative MODEM:
DL above modem.bin file to your desktop
3. open ODIN
check 'phone' + 'autoreboot' ONLY
import modem.bin from your desktop to phone slot in ODIN
4. Device to Download Mode
5. PC to device via mUSB cable (ODIN detects device)
6. select Start......run thru cycle, eventually ODIN completes
+
device reboots to System.
?
Profit :)

There is also a video by qbking77 that you may want to view before you do this........*edit: added a step or 2.;)

Hope FB15 likes your nearby towers! + that your signal is improved :)

Last edited:
Reactions: GrooveRite

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

FB15 Modem is Here:
Samsung Epic 4g FB15 TAR

To install:
DL above modem.bin file to your desktop
open ODIN
check 'phone' + 'autoreboot' ONLY
import modem.bin from your desktop to phone slot in ODIN
select Start......run thru cycle, eventually ODIN completes
device reboots to System.

There is also a video by qbking77 that you may want to view before you do this.

Hope FB15 likes your nearby towers! + that your signal is improved :)

Does flashing this modem bring your back to bml? If so, is there any other way to flash it on mtd?