Samsung Epic 3G download/upload speeds not good... need help

Ryenthelion

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi I have a Samsung Epic 4g running MarcusantROM v3 [MTD][EI22]... I've been rooted and playing with roms and kernels for about a year. But nearly the entire time I've had my Epic 4g which has been 18 months I've had horrible 3g data speeds. I live in Boston, MA and just today for example my speedtest.net 3g speeds were:
95 ping
0.41 Mbps
0.65 Mbps

These readings are pretty consistent and it takes forever to buffer streaming music and video. Anyone have any suggestions? :'(

P.S. all you other Epic 4g (not touch) owners could you post your speedtest.net speeds so I could get a comparison in Mbps please! thanks

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I wish I had those speeds sometimes. You have to take into considerations that the 3g speeds for Sprint are not that fast.

I usually average around .5 down and up.

Last edited:

malito74

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Apparently the 3g speed issue is the same for everyone. mine after flashed the speedtest mod to make it faster (yeah right) give this results

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Same for everyone?
ae98c35e-bb6b-6928.jpg
ae98c35e-be17-07b3.jpg
ae98c35e-be22-b170.jpg
ae98c35e-be2a-ab01.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm extremely jealous of some of the speeds you all posted. My pings are almost always in the 900 range, and the down/up being .02-.1, Sprint 1x and 3g in general is terrible. Nothing unusual there :-/

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Excuse me? I posted the test log too. If I had been connected to 4g it would show it in that log all the way on the left hand side because wimax is a wifi type modem. Also 4g would range "a lot" higher than 1.5-2mb download. Thanks for that though but I'm not a liar, the proof that I was on 3g is right in the screenshot. Next time think before you post kthnxbye.

georich868

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Excuse me? I posted the test log too. If I had been connected to 4g it would show it in that log all the way on the left hand side because wimax is a wifi type modem. Also 4g would range "a lot" higher than 1.5-2mb download. Thanks for that though but I'm not a liar, the proof that I was on 3g is right in the screenshot. Next time think before you post kthnxbye.

That little indicator on the far left in the log is no different if I run the test on 3G or 4G. I'll post some of my tests later. It does clearly say 3G in your notification bar though. Those are some sick speeds though. Could you post a couple 4G tests?

PS. I'm not being accusatory, just envious. :)

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Well nevertheless I posted some "active" tests for the non-believer. Ironically enough I don't get 4g where I live. Makes me happy I get such great 3g speeds. Plus there's a lot of wifi hotspots around here and I have wifi at home.

georich868

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
The first 5 shots were taken outdoors. The first 2 were on 4G and the next 3 on 3G. The 6th on 3G indoors and then the log. All in the span of about 4 minutes.

Edit: I lied. The first shot was early this morning when I clocked a record high 4G speed. Forgive me, I'm tired.

Last edited:

georich868

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Well nevertheless I posted some "active" tests for the non-believer. Ironically enough I don't get 4g where I live. Makes me happy I get such great 3g speeds. Plus there's a lot of wifi hotspots around here and I have wifi at home.

I don't have a wifi signal within reach at home and I use wireless tethering for my internet at home. Yeah, this requires some patience, as you can probably imagine. lol Of course, I only use the internet for email, poker and these forums so it works for me.