Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help!! phone may be bricked during root attempt on EL30

I just unrooted my phone in order to update to EL30. Successfully updated to EL30 and then went to re-root. Was using Odin to install "kernel-BG-3a.tar" It didn't finish like normal and stalled. I ended up unplugging it from the computer and took the battery out and then put it back in. Now my phone shows an error message of a phone .... exclamation point ... computer.

I can get into download mode by pressing power and the 1 key. Odin recognizes the phone but I cannot install that tar file. I do not think it is a cord issue as I have used it successfully in the past to root previous EI22 software.

I am not a pro at this at all but have had success in the past rooting this phone. My phone is now stuck, please help!!

I was using QBKING77's video here
    Thank you!

ROM
    CM│9.1.0

Default Re: Help!! phone may be bricked during root attempt on EL30

You should really never pull a cable from an unfinished cycle on ODIN; though after about 5 mins, if the cycle has not completed to a reboot on your device, you may pull the battery.

[ROOT][CWM][GUIDE][GINGERBREAD] Rooting the Samsung Epic 4g

Do Not Fret.........I know, easier said than done in your specific situation (you're in a Soft-Brick)......first, ODIN may have worked previously on your current cable or from the current version of ODIN that you used to run your EL30 update, but all bets may be OFF that this is still going to work for your next ODIN for root process.

The above link is your stickey-lifesaver courtesy of our moderator Paul627g.

As you are able to launch download mode, you're in a position to run your wipe/restore back to EL30 (again) if necessary (actually, you will have to to get out of your Soft-Brick).

Whenever you're ready:
    Your best bet is to find a good microUSB cable (blackberry from Staples is a good one) that will allow your PC to connect to your EPIC........You may also need to download the samsung drivers to your PC, this may be what is preventing your SU from completing the cycle in ODIN...........also, download another version of ODIN + TRY THAT........different versions of ODIN respond differently for some reason (1.61 helped me in the very exact situation that you currently find yourself).

But give Paul's thread a read for blow-by-blow instructions............you're actually very close to where you need to be.

Good luck w/ this + get back to us w/ any questions that you may have.
    Don't forget to CLICK THANK YOU IF SOMEONE WAS HELPFUL IN ENHANCING YOUR DEVICE!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

appreciate the reply. I just now got back from the store with a new cable. going to give what you said a try and will post feedback when i am done.

THANK YOU for the reply.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

OK, the cable was the problem. I went to the page you mentioned and just did the first step (same step I was trying from QBking77's youtube video to root the phone)... So this time Odin was able to flash kernel-GB-3.tar.md5. my phone reset and it is now working. Thank you so much!

ROM
    CleanGB 1.1.2

[exclamation point ... computer. ]

i dont think that is a complete brick, try doing it again and see if it works. check the drivers you downloaded.

ROM
    CM│9.1.0

Gr8!........now you can boldly flash as you wish.......ODIN is awesome.

sent via...::CM9/EPIC::...
    Don't forget to CLICK THANK YOU IF SOMEONE WAS HELPFUL IN ENHANCING YOUR DEVICE!

Quote Originally Posted by george1614 View Post
    [exclamation point ... computer. ]

i dont think that is a complete brick, try doing it again and see if it works. check the drivers you downloaded.
    Sounds like a soft brick. A true hard brick is completely unresponsive. No exclamation point with computer, no lights, nothing... Just dead.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I now understand a hard brick vs soft. Mine was a soft brick and it was caused by using the stock cable. A new cable fixed my problems in Odin. Thank you.